• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NRA Praises Bernie Sanders

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
NRA: Sanders' Comments on Gunmaker Liability 'Spot On'

The National Rifle Association took to Twitter on Monday and showed its support for comments Democratic presidential hopeful Bernie Sanders made on gun industry immunity in Sunday night's heated Democratic debate.

In a fiery exchange between the Vermont senator and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, Sanders defended his vote for legislation that would hold gun manufacturers liable for mass shootings and the NRA tweeted that his comments were "spot-on."

It's more that Bernie was correct on a very singular point, and the NRA acknowledged him getting it correct... Not sure how much "praise" that is...

It's more that Bernie was correct on a very singular point, and the NRA acknowledged him getting it correct... Not sure how much "praise" that is...

This^

So far this is the only point of agreement between Bernie and the NRA, they're not endorsing him for president.

Bernie basically said that making firearms manufacturers fully liable for stupid peoples' actions would be the end of the firearms industry. as usual her highness Hilary felt otherwise, so the two moonbats duked it out.

it's no different than Mao and Pol Pot arguing over relatively minor detail....irrelevant when put into big picture.

I get hit - he does not support the insane notion that gun manufacturers should be liable for mass shootings. Bravo, Mr Sanders. I guess.

Here is the report from Newsmax:

During the debate held in Flint, Michigan, MSNBC notes that host Anderson Cooper asked both Sanders and Clinton if they support a lawsuit filed by families of the Sandy Hook Elementary shooting victims.

While the lawsuit is against Remington Arms Company, the manufacturer of the weapon the gunman used, Cooper pointed out that the suit "might not go anywhere" because of a law backed by Sanders in 2005 which "shields gun manufacturers from certain lawsuits when someone legally buys a gun and then intentionally misuses it."

"If you go to a store and you legally purchase a gun, and three days later you go out and start killing people, is the point to hold the gun shop owner or the manufacturer of that gun liable? If that's the point, I disagree," he said.

"If they are selling a product to a person who buys it legally, what you're talking about is ending gun manufacturing in America."

Clinton, however, voted against the bill and argued that "no other industry in America has absolute immunity."

Meanwhile, supporters maintain that the situation is not unique to the gun industry and PolitiFact notes that "Congress passed a number of laws that protect a variety of business sectors from lawsuits in certain situations."

According to The Hill, the NRA's tweet was highlighted by Correct the Record, a super PAC that backs Clinton.

added: Here is the link.

http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/NRA-bernie-sanders-comments-gunmaker-liability/2016/03/08/id/717989/

Last edited:
Clinton, however, voted against the bill and argued that "no other industry in America has absolute immunity."

Complete BS, they don't have absolute immunity.
They can still be sued if their products are defective, unsafe to the user or don't operate as designed.

What's next, will the Louisville Slugger company get sued because someone was beaten to death with one of their bats ???

I don't think Shrillary felt otherwise. I think Shrillary sees ending the firearms industry as a feature, not a bug.

Bernie basically said that making firearms manufacturers fully liable for stupid peoples' actions would be the end of the firearms industry. as usual her highness Hilary felt otherwise, so the two moonbats duked it out.

it's no different than Mao and Pol Pot arguing over relatively minor detail....irrelevant when put into big picture.

I'm going to disagree with you on your characterization of his action and its relevance. It's such a divisive issue and it is completely mischaracterized and misunderstood by the left that it would be really easy for him to just toe the line and grab some votes. He didn't.
Sanders' Ideology is as far to the left as anybody in public service and yet he has been thoughtful on matters of law and industry. Instead of the hyper-emotional histrionics that the left's leaders use in their pandering.
I don't agree with him ideologically. I actually think some of his ideas are batshit crazy but he is consistent and has integrity. He is his own man. I respect that.

Does the NRA know about this?

Bernie Sanders Pledges To Repeal Pro-Gun Law He Helped Pass

As he climbs in the polls in Iowa and around the country, Bernie Sanders still can’t seem to avoid criticism on one issue that stands out in his otherwise progressive agenda: his vote for legislation that gives the gun industry legal immunity. On Thursday, the Democratic presidential candidate and Vermont senator announced that he would help to repeal that bill.

Sanders said that he will co-sponsor legislation to repeal the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act (PLCAA), a law passed by Congress in 2005 that shields gun manufacturers from liability in lawsuits over gun violence. Dan Gross, president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, praised Sanders’ decision, calling it a clear victory for gun control advocates which would have been “unthinkable a month ago.”

“PLCAA really is one of the most evil special interest laws in history. It’s not hyperbole,” Gross said on a press call Thursday. “PLCAA was also a bill that then-Congressman Bernie Sanders helped to pass in 2005, ushering in a deadly decade of unchecked gun industry negligence that’s resulted in untold tragedy, gun violence, and deaths in our country.

Gross noted that Sanders’ apparent evolution on the issue comes after he met with two family members of gun violence victims on Wednesday. The announcement also comes just days before the Iowa caucuses and could help the senator reconcile with gun control advocates, many of whom have not been able to forgive him for his record on guns.

Sanders has previously argued for keeping parts of PLCAA in place, saying that the law was only intended to prevent mom-and-pop gun shop owners from liability

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2016/01/28/3743802/bernie-sanders-plcaa/

Sanders to Cosponsor Bill to End Gun Manufacturer Immunity

In an effort to rebut criticism from Hillary Clinton, Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders’s campaign told TIME that he will cosponsor a Democratic bill to repeal legislation granting gun manufacturers immunity from legal liability.

Sanders’ position marks a reversal on a key gun safety measure: 10 years ago, he voted for the law that granted the immunity. The issue has dogged Sanders in recent weeks since he voted for the legislation that created the immunity in 2005. At a town hall Monday night in Iowa, he told a CNN moderator that he voted for the NRA-supported bill because of other provisions in it.

“It has a section which says we should not be selling ammunition which will pierce policemen’s armor and protection. I think that’s the right thing,” Sanders said. “It had a section in it which said that we want to have safety locks for children on guns. That makes sense to me.”

http://time.com/4197582/bernie-sanders-gun-manufacturers-immunity/

The more I read this the more I think that the OP kinda overstated the NRA's response. They agreed with his stance but I do not think that translates to praise.

Back
Top Bottom