• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NRA Mid & Long Range F- Class shooting Karma

It seems like a good solution, at least for now.. and maybe a bit better (or less ghetto?) than tape and a sponge... or am I wrong? I was looking at Karsten cheek rests, but im not sure how the whole thing works.

If duct tape and a sponge is a little too Sanford & Son for you, a chunk of black pipe insulation (the semi-rigid kind with a slit down the length) is a cheap alternative.

P.S. the guys who have modified their equipment themselves with less-than-store-bought materials are my heroes. Up here, we're all cheap and you see some really interesting contraptions on the line.

If duct tape and a sponge is a little too Sanford & Son for you, a chunk of black pipe insulation (the semi-rigid kind with a slit down the length) is a cheap alternative.

P.S. the guys who have modified their equipment themselves with less-than-store-bought materials are my heroes. Up here, we're all cheap and you see some really interesting contraptions on the line.

I didnt mean to sound like that... I guess I didnt know people did modifications like that.

Now I'm gonna have the Sanford and Son theme in my head. [smile]

I've seen some interesting scope stands made entirely from hardware store plumbing supplies.

Hey Brian, the 30th of April won't work either, we have a HP/Garand Match that day, If you wanted to do it after the match that would work as the range is mine until closing on those days.

Dave S

May 7th & 8th won't work here because there is a Center Fire benchrest match both days. If May wont work for you, we can try and do it some other time. Give me a couple of days to try and nail this down a little better. Nothing says we can't do this more than once. Does April 30th or May 1 work? Also what about June 4th?

I have a B model Karsten that I have to install. You have to drill holes through the stock. Nice set up for fairly cheap money. The strap on cheek piece will work ok if it brings your face up high enough. The adjustable one will bring your face up high enough because it's adjustable. Here are the instructions for installing the Karsten. Ultimately I think you would be happier with the Karsten.

B

EDIT: Did you manage to get some ammo?

Ill know about june in the first week of May. I didnt anticipate getting so screwed with my may schedule. I can always try and creatively modify schedule if I need to.

I think I'll eventually go with the Karsten. I'm a little apprehensive about drilling through the stock, but it doesnt look too difficult.

I havent ordered the Federal Gold Medal yet. I still dont have anywhere to shoot, so once I get that nailed down I'll put in an order. It looks like CTD and Cabelas has a bunch of it.

F-Class Plot Sheets

Here is a link to F-Class plot sheets. These are really useful for keeping track of zeros and scores. Some people like to plot each shot, but that sometimes slows down the shooting.

You are going to need each range sheet. The Mid-Range prone match at Scarborough is 300, 500 & 600 yards and the NY match is 800, 900 & 1000 yards.

Desert Sharpshooters Plot Sheets

B

Wow that makes a difference. I thought Federal was the way to go.... I thought $34 was a little steep. $24 is definitely easier to swallow. You're not around during the week are you? My days off fall on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays mostly. Either way keep me posted on whatever dates you pick and I'll see what I can do.

The Federal is great ammo but it is crazy expensive. Unless you know that it shoots better in your rifle than the other offerings I'd steer clear although it might be worth picking up a box or two just to test. There really are no guarantees that it would be better. Like Regan said, trust but verify.

I'm going to go to the range this Monday.

B

The Palmetto state armory has Privi partison 308 match and federal match at decent prices.

Wow they have the Federal 175 Gr. load for $20.99. I also noticed that they have a .308 and a 7.62mm flavors.

I don't have any direct experience with Privi ammo, but have read about other peoples experiences and know some guys that loaded their bulk bullets that they for from Wideners. I'm not really sure it would be up to the task. I don't think the bullet is as high a quality as some of the domestic match grade bullets. The F-Class target has a 1/2 moa X ring which is very demanding. Again I don't have any direct experience, but that is my gut feeling.

Thanks for the heads up for the ammunition. [thumbsup] That is a great price for Federal Premium!

B

Wow they have the Federal 175 Gr. load for $20.99. I also noticed that they have a .308 and a 7.62mm flavors.

I don't have any direct experience with Privi ammo, but have read about other peoples experiences and know some guys that loaded their bulk bullets that they for from Wideners. I'm not really sure it would be up to the task. I don't think the bullet is as high a quality as some of the domestic match grade bullets. The F-Class target has a 1/2 moa X ring which is very demanding. Again I don't have any direct experience, but that is my gut feeling.

Thanks for the heads up for the ammunition. [thumbsup] That is a great price for Federal Premium!

B

I've never used any Privi stuff in .308, but I won a thousand of their 75gr .223 bullets and loaded them up. They are good enough to clean a target at 200yds, but they start to open up a bit for 300. Never tried them at 600.

were did this go???? never mind i found it Im a dumd a!! LOL
Any dates for a meeting and shoot?

Last edited:
So how is everyone doing on getting their ammunition?

I think I have some range dates that may work:

April 30th (Saturday) or May 1st (Sunday)

May 14th (Saturday)

May 22nd (Saturday)

May 28th (Saturday); 29th (Sunday); 30th (Monday)​

Let me know what dates work for everyone's schedules.

B

Tag for outcome.

I'm having prone shooting withdrawals with the weather so wet here lately. This month's mid range prone match got rained out big time. In fact, today's the first day I've had of serious trigger time and it was all training at 50 yards with the Anschutz.

Can't wait for May's mid range match. A brand new civilian 1000 yd range just opened in Ohio at Alliance Rifle Club and will need to hit that for their Palmas here pretty soon.

I had some work to do on the Palma rifle. I want to put the new Sightron on it and I had to fit the base to the action. It's a medium length action palma rifle.

pict0866.jpg

20 moa NightForce base

pict0869i.jpg

You can see the angle that is built into it.

pict0870t.jpg

Here is the problem though. Base just sitting on the rifle.

pict0873x.jpg

Front screw tightened up.

pict0874.jpg

Close up of what that looks like.

pict0876b.jpg

The cure. Bedding the ass end of it with Marine Tex.

pict0877.jpg

Squeezing out the extra.

pict0881.jpg

pict0883.jpg

Another picture with the Marine-Tex all cleaned off the mount.

pict08712.jpg

Things should be nice and tight now and a stress free mounting job.

Last edited:
The rifle is a tight bore 1/13 twist. It means the barrel is a little tighter than a normal barrel. The bore and groove diameter is .298 and .3065 where as a normal .30 cal. barrel would be .30 and .308. That was the fashion a while back. It was mostly for shooting issue ball ammo but I've re-purposed this gun to F-TR.

Anyways I have a lot of choices to shoot. I've always had good luck with IMR 4064 and this particular barrel shoots Berger 175 VLDs very well. I had a couple of good scores in NY and Quantico with them.

pict0875a.jpg

I have some other projectiles on hand. This is what is available in enough quantity. Right now I'm leaning to the 175 moly VLDs or the 175 BTLR. I don't think the 190s would work all that well unless the ambient air temp is hot. Stability would be right on the ragged edge but I have read that people have successfully shot them out of 1/13 twist guns.

30calbulletslabeled.jpg

B

bpm990d, I like your stock kinda looks similar LOL
What range and how far from lewiston???
That is were Ive been staying in the winter as the weather gets better I camp in paris
Thanks

bpm990d, I like your stock kinda looks similar LOL
What range and how far from lewiston???
That is were Ive been staying in the winter as the weather gets better I camp in paris
Thanks

Capital City in Augusta. Probably about 35~40 min from Lewiston. I think it is easier to come up the turnpike, but that depends on where in Lewiston you are.

B

EDIT - Yeah I noticed you had a BS stock. :)

Last edited:
Brian, the 30th in Augusta?

I could do this Saturday. My in-laws are coming to watch the kiddos. If you meant May, I'm gonna skip Vermont. Although they do have a 3X600. What was the deal with the EIC? I heard George S. say that there is no leg match.

B

I could do this Saturday. My in-laws are coming to watch the kiddos. If you meant May, I'm gonna skip Vermont. Although they do have a 3X600. What was the deal with the EIC? I heard George S. say that there is no leg match.

B
Vermont NG put the kibosh on it. Said they needed the range for other activities. I think they just want to appease some neighbors who didn't like all the noise on Memorial Day.

The 14th of May is what I'm shooting for. I have not heard from RJ4, but he is local so I assume that is ok with him.

Did you manage to get your ammo? Let me know what you got.

B

Back
Top Bottom