NRA Instructor Training Classes

KMaurer

NES Member
We've talked about this previously, and I've got some input from people on when they wanted to do it. Let's agree that winter weather no longer poses the problem that it did back in January. Unfortunately that means that the demand for club facilities has also increased. Rather than continue to go back and forth indefinitely, I've decided to grab some dates before we're back to winter again.

6/3 - Basic Instructor Training*

6/10 & 6/11 - Basic Pistol and Home Firearm Safety

6/17 & 6/18 - Basic Rifle

6/24 & 6/25 - Personal Protection in the Home
  • Required of all candidates who are not currently certified by NRA in at least one discipline. Current instructors registering for additional disciplines are welcome to attend as a review at no additional charge.

Course lesson plans, instruction manuals and all necessary materials are included. Classes will run roughly 9am to 5pm. Detailed scheduled will be provided to all registering before the first class. Lunches and refreshments will be provided.

Cost: $200 for the first discipline (HFS & BP count as 1), $150 for each additional discipline and for currently certified instructors, payable by cash or check at the class.

Please register by May 1st. All classes are contingent on at least 4 candidates registering by that time.

If you'd like to register, or have any questions, either phone me (978-692-6818) or send an E-Mail to [email protected].

Ken

I hope that you plan on doing these again.

We just picked up a huge project at work, we're working Sundays for the next 14 weekends. So, these are going to be out for me. I only have off next weekend because I already had working the show planned.

Ken,
Could you please give some details or point to some links on what's required to become an NRA instructor? Are there any additional requirements to become certified by MSP?

The only additional requirements to become a MSP certified firearms instructor are (a) filling out the application and (b) writing a $50 check.

Rob's exactly right about the state. As long as you're NRA certified, all they really care about is getting their $50 for 10 years.

As to NRA, here are some excerpts from the information they have on their web site (It's easier than typing in stuff from my printed material):

To qualify as an NRA instructor, you must:
  • Possess and demonstrate a solid background in firearm safety and shooting skills acquired through previous firearm training (such as completion of an NRA Basic Firearm Training Course) and/or previous shooting experience.
  • Successfully complete the appropriate NRA instructor examination. Certified—90% or higher. Assistant—85% or higher. Apprentice—85% or higher
  • Satisfactorily complete an NRA Instructor Training Course for the area of specialization you wish to teach (e.g., NRA Basic Shotgun Course), and receive the endorsement of the NRA Training Counselor conducting your training.
  • Submit your application with appropriate certification fee. Membership in the National Rifle Association is strongly recommended.
Certified Ratings are available to individuals who wish to be fully qualified to conduct basic courses (21 years of age or older).
Assistant Ratings are available to individuals who wish to assist certified instructors in order to gain the knowledge and experience needed to become a certified instructor (18 years of age or older).
Apprentice Ratings are available to young people who wish to understudy a certified instructor in preparation for more advanced ratings. The apprentice instructor will be chosen by an NRA Certified Instructor from select individuals. These individuals must be of the emotional maturity necessary to handle such a position. In addition, they must have attended and successfully completed an NRA Basic Firearm Training Course in their chosen area of specialization (13-17 years of age).

Your responsibilities as an NRA Certified Instructor will include:
  • Conducting NRA Basic Courses in accordance with policies and procedures outlined by NRA
  • Upholding the quality and integrity of national firearm safety and training standards established by NRA
  • Promoting firearm safety and the shooting sports
  • Reporting training data to NRA
Knowing how to shoot is an important requirement for NRA instructors, but you will also need to know how to teach others to shoot. NRA Instructor Training Courses help you develop the additional knowledge, skills and techniques needed to organize and teach courses in the NRA Basic Firearm Training Program.

Give me a call if you've still got any questions.

Ken

Damn, I'm going to have to bow out as I have a commitment to Microsoft to be at TechEd in Boston from Sunday June 11th thru Friday June 16th inclusively!

I hope you run this again, so I can pick it up at another time without conflicts.

Damn, damn!

LenS said:
Damn, I'm going to have to bow out as I have a commitment to Microsoft to be at TechEd in Boston from Sunday June 11th thru Friday June 16th inclusively!

I hope you run this again, so I can pick it up at another time without conflicts.

Damn, damn!

Well, that just means that we'll still get to be in the same class next time around.

If you sit behind me, you get no drink straw and paper... [wink]

I think I still may have some illegal glass blow tubes we made in HS Chemistry class for shooting spitballs. Even made some that shot behind us and took 90 corners! [smile] [devil]

There's still a few weeks before I have to make go/no-go decisions and place materials orders. A few people have indicated they can't make it this time around, but I haven't heard anything from a lot of people who had indicated interest.

(978) 692-6818
[email protected]

Ken

I've still got 2-3 weeks before I have to place my material orders, so things could change, but right now there's nobody signed up for either Rifle or Personal Protection, so those probably won't go this time around. I've got enough people for Home Firearm Safety & Basic Pistol, but there's still plenty of room. Anybody interested should phone (978-692-6818) or E-Mail ([email protected]) me.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom