NRA Instructor Training - Basic Pistol & Home Firearms Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just spoke with Ken. He said because the NRA convention and the large number of people as well as the mistake with the fees are causing a delay. He said that he will contact the guy in charge of this tomorrow when the convention is over to see what the status is.

I want to make one thing crystal clear. While Ken Maurer works with Neshooters, Neshooters is not and was not involved with this or any other NRA Instructor class taught by Ken Maurer.

I have had several phone callers that stated that Neshooters was involved and had sponsored the class. That is simply not true.

With all that said, both Mike and I have been talking with Ken and attempting to get the issue resolved. We intend to stay on top of this issue until it is over.

Last edited:
Criminal Charges

I spoke to "Glorias" Boss yesterday at the NRA. They have no paperwork on our class. I have tried calling and emailing Mr. Maurer no response so....

If I don't hear back from Mr. Maurer by tomorrow @ 12:00 PM, I will be contacting the Westford Police Department and seeking criminal Charges of larceny. The least he could do is give us the courtesy of a phone call.

We all paid good money for this course, and it doesn't take 10 weeks to receive a response from NRA.

If you guys want to contact me, you can call me @617-799-2635.

Chris Boujoukos

With all that said, both Mike and I have been talking with Ken and attempting to get the issue resolved. We intend to stay on top of this issue until it is over.

Thank you, I appreciate the effort, especially since it's not really your problem.

If I don't hear back from Mr. Maurer by tomorrow @ 12:00 PM, I will be contacting the Westford Police Department and seeking criminal Charges of larceny. The least he could do is give us the courtesy of a phone call.
I just left him voicemail letting him know about this latest development. Hopefully he'll make an appearance before things get any further out of hand.

Got a reply from Ken today: (May 22)

Short version: (what he told me)

- Stuck traveling out of state for most of the past month with little or no internet access.

- Spoke with Chris Thacker at NRA headquarters to find out what's the situation.
Things there have been even more hectic than usual the past few weeks,
with a lot of staff being pulled of their regular duties to work on the NRA
Annual Meeting

- Since they don't routinely open all mail when it's received and log
the sender, there's no way for them to determine whether they've received
paperwork from any particular training counselor or for any applicant until
the applications themselves are actually processed.

- originally mailed all the applications and other paperwork to the NRA
in March.

- learned in April that all the applications had an error and needed to be
resubmitted. (the fee/cost was short)

- Sent the paperwork along with his own check by Priority Mail in April, is looking for
the receipt

- Chris is going to see if he could locate the paperwork in their
office. According to him, it's not unusual for applications to take over a
month to be processed due to the significantly increased number of regular
courses being conducted and the increased number of people applying to
become instructors.

he says:
I apologize for the delays and for not having been around to respond to
your inquiries earlier. I'll let you know about any information I get from
the NRA on the status of your applications as soon as I receive it.

This is a colossal pain in the ass, and I really wish communication was better, but I don't think he's trying to screw anyone.

I recv'd the same email. I can understand the lack of internet access (been there) but He didn't have his phone with him too? Plus both Gloria and Chris told me the WAS NO paperwork at the NRA. Someone is fudging here- maybe Ken, maybe the NRA. I can understand one month delay, maybe two, but we are working on the third month looking toward four.

I have nothing to do with this, but I'm going to go out on a limb here . . .

I've known Ken for damn close to 20 years now. I invited him to join us here on NES when Derek started this forum and I recommended him to Derek as a Mod here. I consider Ken as honest as they come. I am sure that NOTHING he did or is doing is underhanded or in any way trying to cause problems for anyone.

I know that Ken works as a consultant and sometimes travels extensively. He also has Family in distant places and spends time visiting them.

It is not at all inconceivable that he's out of touch, off the Internet and perhaps even "off the grid" from receiving/making cell phone calls for weeks at a time.

Many of us think that the NRA is staffed with thousands of workers, but I think we'd be in for a shock if we ever knew the reality. I just found out that the entire NRA Insurance operation consists of a total of 5 people . . . servicing what, 4 million members?

I've been told that the NRA is inundated with new Instructor applications. I heard a number of 3,000/week (pretty sure it was "week" and not "month") but either way that's a lot of folks to process.

It's not unusual for mail to be stacked sky high and not logged in until they get to that pile . . . especially in larger operations. CMP works this way on orders (this cost me serous money on my last ammo order as there was a price increase after they received my order but before they opened the letter). I found out that the MA DOR does too, the hard way, they had "no record" of receiving my tax return one year for ~11 months after I filed it. Only a query by my State Rep "found" it buried in a pile on someone's desk. DOR told me that they don't log anything in until they are "finished" with it. So, they processed my tax return as if it was received the day that my State Rep inquired, cheating me out of >$100 interest on the money they owed me.

So, I'm asking all those effected to calm down a little, cut Ken some slack and give him time after he returns home to get in touch with the NRA and perhaps he can prod them to expedite the processing of your applications. Every phone call they get interrupts what they are doing and can thus further delay your getting your credentials.

I'm finally back in the world and have contacted everybody in the class with an update. Everything was mailed to NRA over a month ago, but as Len noted, things a backed up more than usual there. I'm checking with the NRA training department regularly to see what the status is and will let everyone know as soon as they have any information for us. Contact me if you've got any questions.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom