• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NRA Instructor Course - Home Firearm Safety and Basic Pistol July 14 - 16, 2006

w.gif

/goes off to cry himself to sleep.

Last edited:
Cross-X, you were there weren't you?
The "W" is a badge of shame. If you say "weapon" during the course you get fined a dollar and have to wear a blaze orange "W" carved out of wood.

Welcome to NES, adweisbe. I take it you were the first one to earn that honor?

I earned it twice in one evening. I am going to stop at the bank for some spare singles before I go tomorrow.

Jon Green is a stickler about that. As an NRA Instructor myself I've got caught using it a few times as well. I personally have no shame in calling a firearm/pistol a weapon. I use my pistols for many things... I'd be kidding myself if I thought they aren't weapons. But heck... I seem to be rubbing people the wrong ways on occasion.. why stop now. [smile]

weapon
n 1: any instrument or instrumentality used in fighting or hunting; "he was licensed to carry a weapon"

Last edited:
It's hard to break a lot of people from using the W word during a class. The last group I did managed not to have much trouble with it. I actually look forward to somebody using it during a regular class (never the instructor!) for a teachable moment. It gives me an easy means of pointing out that damn near anything could be used as a weapon, but that in this class (NFS, Basic Pistol, etc.) we're looking at guns first and foremost as great ways to have a heck of a lot of fun.

Ken

adweisbe said:
Cross-X, you were there weren't you?
The "W" is a badge of shame. If you say "weapon" during the course you get fined a dollar and have to wear a blaze orange "W" carved out of wood.

You threw me off because I've never worn such a glorious necklace, and have no reason to celebrate, or use, that word. (smile)

KMaurer said:
It's hard to break a lot of people from using the W word during a class. The last group I did managed not to have much trouble with it.

Ken

My pockets were a little light that week, Ken, so I couldn't afford to use the W word. [wink]

I was broken of the habit well before I got my instructor cert. thanks to my husband. One of the other instructors at the MRA uses an excellent visual aid... A flyswatter.

Guns are useful tools, they can be fun, but they can also save your life. They are not used solely to end life.
now a flyswatter... only one purpose there. To kill. Now which one is the "real weapon"? [laugh]

SiameseRat said:
They are not used solely to end life.
now a flyswatter... only one purpose there. To kill. Now which one is the "real weapon"? [laugh]

SSSSHHHHHHHH! I may have to edit this out before someone sees it and decides to ban flyswatters! [rolleyes]

taz-2005 said:
To all my fellow classmates and now instructors. Thank you and I had a great time. Darius and Jon teach an awesome class.

Likewise. Jon and Darius did a phenomenal job. I can't believe the "book" time on that course is so short. We took almost twice as long and every minute of it was well spent. They're running the course again on October 27th-29th.

It was good to meet you Mark. I know who to ask now when I can't get my %&^% Ruger back together. And I know who not to ask to pick up sandwiches. [wink]

I'm still waiting for kel to chime in so I can put another NES handle to a face.

Dave

:-(
I have to go check, but I am not sure I got the information on how to apply with the MA state police. I remember getting a letter with a summary of laws in MA, maybe it came with that. I also haven't gotten anything from the NRA. Maybe it's time to give them a call.

adweisbe said:
:-(
I have to go check, but I am not sure I got the information on how to apply with the MA state police. I remember getting a letter with a summary of laws in MA, maybe it came with that. I also haven't gotten anything from the NRA. Maybe it's time to give them a call.

When you call the NRA, ask to speak with Gloria Brooks in the Training Department.

Back
Top Bottom