• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NRA, GOAL and COMM2A - Where to donate your hard earned money...

The purpose of this is to educate anyone who is wondering what the difference is between these organizations and what to expect them to do for us here in MASS. For now, this is a "live" post that I will update or modify with newer information or fix anything that I got wrong. Reps for any of the originations mentioned are welcome to have me update with the content of their liking.

NRA:
In addition to promoting firearm related education and competition; The NRA is a national lobbying organization on the federal level. They have little interest on what happens at a state level and are more focused on addressing national laws and promoting individuals that run for public office that will have an impact on firearms related laws. Its often asked why local clubs require NRA membership, one reason is the NRA also helps clubs secure liability insurance in exchange for the club mandating that members are also NRA members. The NRA plays a role at the national level, so expect funds you donate to the NRA to help with federal laws and NOT local laws or issues.

SAF:
The Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) is dedicated to promoting a better understanding about our Constitutional heritage to privately own and possess firearms. To that end, we carry on many educational and legal action programs designed to better inform the public about the gun control debate. Unlike the NRA, SEF works in the judicial branch by taking cases to court at the national level. SAF also occasionally backs state level cases and had helped COMM2A in the past.

GOAL:
The Gun Owners Action League of Massachusetts has the following charter: education, lobbying and legislative action. GOALs primary purpose in Massachusetts is to wok with the state level legislators in formation and amending of laws. As a result of GOALs charter, they are not permitted to challenge laws in the court system. GOAL works if the future to have bills and laws manipulated and removed as we can to award civilians their civil rights. When you donate to GOAL you are helping work at the state legislative level.

COMM2A:
“Commonwealth Second Amendment (Comm2A) is a grassroots civil rights organization dedicated to promoting a better understanding of rights guaranteed by the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution. Our activities include educational programs designed to promote a better understanding of Massachusetts and Federal firearms laws and rights as well as programs to defend and protect the civil rights of Massachusetts gun owners.” COMM2A is the organization that plays in the judicial playground and will challenge laws in the court system in an effort to set a legal precedence that favors our civil rights. COMM2A also helps where the laws are not being followed, a town refusing to issue CLASS A LTCs for example. When you donate to COMM2A, you funds to go bringing cases up.

Where to donate? - Well this is something that only you can decide. Even if you feel that any of the above organizations do not help enough in your view of the world, please keep this in mind. Membership helps us as a whole. When these organizations are debating and negotiating, the membership count directly correlates with how much pull or clout we have in that debate. An organization with millions of dollars in the bank, but only represents 100 people gets a lot less attention than an organization with thousands of dollars in the bank, but has 100,000 members. ALL THESE ORGANIZATIONS PLAY A PART

Last edited:
You missed the Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) - the national equivalent to Comm2A and actually assisted with some MA case(s) I believe.

I would focus on our local GOAL and Comm2A first and IMMEDIATELY. We are in the fight of our lives.

To help lobby for the national election and a new federal ban... NRA, SAF

Comm2A will need deep pockets for the upcoming legal battle.

SAF will likely back the work of Comm2A and may assist financially as well (they did so on some early cases).

So not to slight the others, these two should get the lion's share of funds right now until this AG travesty is adjudicated many years from now.

You missed the Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) - the national equivalent to Comm2A and actually assisted with some MA case(s) I believe.

I would focus on our local GOAL and Comm2A first and IMMEDIATELY. We are in the fight of our lives.

To help lobby for the national election and a new federal ban... NRA, SAF

Thanks, just added SAF

- - - Updated - - -

SAF will likely back the work of Comm2A and may assist financially as well (they did so on some early cases).

Thanks, added that tidbit.

- - - Updated - - -

F the NRA. They don't care about MA. Give your money to goal and comm2a.

You missed the point.

The NRA-CRDF (Civil Rights Defense Fund) has also partially backed at least one Comm2A court challenge (Jarvis).

Please add the GOA. I trust their analysis on Federal legislation.

GOA jumps in to all kinds of social conservative issues that have nothing to do with guns. I don't know of anything they've ever actually accomplished. I joined years ago, but the more I read about them, the less I liked/trusted them.

Back
Top Bottom