NRA Firearms Museum VA

Here's a bit of a look of what's inside.

It's free and photography is allowed.

Attachments

• DSCF0928.jpg
    DSCF0928.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCF0934.jpg
    DSCF0934.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCF0935.jpg
    DSCF0935.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 26
There was some extended conversations over at smith-wessonforum.com over the fact that Jim Supica, co-author of The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson took over running this museum. Most all of it was extremely positive about his pending stewardship of this fine insitution.

I have not had the opportunity yet, but it is on my list.

BTW the museum at Aberdeen Proving Ground is pretty nice if you like military small arms. If you're driving back to NE, it is just off the highway in MD.

B

Highly recommend the National Firearms Museum at NRA HQ in Fairfax VA. While you're there, bring your guns and shoot at the NRA HQ Range, located in the basement. It is a 50 yard indoor range with about 20 lanes.

I really like the way they have the exhibits arranged. Back in the old place on Rhode Island Ave they didn't even have room for half the exhibits. I'm going back to spend some more time there the next time I'm in DC.

Ken

The most interesting exhibit for me was the stainless J-Frame revolver recovered from September 11th attack at ground zero. They matched it to the officer who gave his life saving others. It was very moving for me.

Has anyone dragged their not-interested wife to this museum?

Would it be beneficial? Or just cause the time at the exhibitions to be rushed?

Should it be one of those, "I'll meet you back here for dinner", events?

Has anyone dragged their not-interested wife to this museum?

Would it be beneficial? Or just cause the time at the exhibitions to be rushed?

Should it be one of those, "I'll meet you back here for dinner", events?

My not-interested in firearms wife would love it.

I may go back next week, as I'll be visiting my friend down there who usually likes to take his guests to the NRA shooting range.

I went to the NFM this past summer. A very cool place to go if you're into guns, but as a museum it could use a bit of work. A lot of the computer terminals they had setup to explain the exhibits weren't working, and I think they should have put things in numerical order to make it easier to keep track of (that will make sense if you go there, the #s on the exhibit items jump around for some strange reason). That being said, there were a lot of very historical and unusual firearms to see, well worth the visit. Not as good as the upper floor of the Springfield Armory to me, but that isn't a fair comparison.

I went to the NFM this past summer. A very cool place to go if you're into guns, but as a museum it could use a bit of work. A lot of the computer terminals they had setup to explain the exhibits weren't working, and I think they should have put things in numerical order to make it easier to keep track of (that will make sense if you go there, the #s on the exhibit items jump around for some strange reason). That being said, there were a lot of very historical and unusual firearms to see, well worth the visit. Not as good as the upper floor of the Springfield Armory to me, but that isn't a fair comparison.

I hated the terminal look-up. I wouldn't have been so bad if they had a terminal at each case, but I found myself going to case, to terminal, to case ect. At least they were all working when I was there.

I went last fall. I really enjoyed it. I brought my brother and his girlfriend. I've never seen so many rare and interesting pieces in one area before. Then we all went down to the range and shot about 100 rounds each. Very professional and safe. The lanes were very clean and everything actually worked!

Back
Top Bottom