NRA Faces a Challenge From Pro-Gun Groups - Today's Wall Street Journal

The Second Amendment grants the right to bear arms.
(emphasis mine)

Bang. Head. On. Desk.

The bill of rights recognizes and enshrines a pre-existing, natural (God given or however you want to call it - by virtue of being alive, we have it) right to self defense. Government is incapable of giving (in the altruistic sense) anything to anybody.

Thank you. It worked.

I read the story and it was disappointing.

It scratched the surface. It never answered “why” the bumpstock ban and compromise was inherently wrong and destructive.

A lot of the comments are pretty bad, too. Bump stocks are toys; I don’t think there’s any substantial disagreement about that. But what most people don’t seem to understand is the precedent that it sets: that government can (and should?) exercise power over the people to deprive them of liberty and property without any due process, debate, or compensation.

Precedent is everything, because it’s easy to justify doing something like this again because it was already done. And it makes it easier to justify doing something worse.

Has the NRA ever been 2A absolutist organization? They've always been willing to support "reasonable" gun control laws, as they describe them, throughout the decades.

Maybe they think that gives them some legitimacy in the wider debate, but I'm not legal tactician.

Back
Top Bottom