NRA conventional pistol: Sig or revolver?

NES people:

i have been shooting my Glock 22, trying to group shots at 50 feet...very frustrating. i am interested in "informal" club target shooting, as opposed to IDPA or "action" shooting, for now anyway. when/if i do try IDPA, i have my Glock....

i am in the market for another handgun for target shooting ("putting holes in paper" as an IDPA shooter put it). i shot a S&W model 66 (357 mag) and was very accurate with it. however, i also like the Sig 9mm (P228).

question: will a SIG perform as well as a revolver at 50 feet? how about at 25 and 50 yards? is there a big advantage with the slightly longer barrel on the SIG P226? i think i am biased toward a revolver because the Glock is so "inaccurate" (given, the Glock is a combat weapon). am i wrong to avoid a SIG? thanks in advance. and no, i can't have both!
-rf

Most auto's, other than .22, have some jump when they cycle so they are not as nail head accurate as revolver. See if you can get a 6 in. revolver. I've got a Smith Model 14 target in .38 Spl that cuts the same holes at 25 yards. Well, it can, sometimes I have trouble doing it.

One thing to consider with a Sig, or for that matter, any pistol or revolver: if your gun has combat sights, as the Sig does, your front sight is almost certainly going to be too wide for effective target work.

Changing your sight setup may greatly enhance accuracy at distances such as fifty feet.

The Sig won't be any more accurate than your Glock. If you want a more accurate semi auto then go with a 1911. A good 5" 1911 will be VERY accurate and with the avail. parts will be easy to make it even MORE accurate than it is out of the box.

The Sig won't be any more accurate than your Glock. If you want a more accurate semi auto then go with a 1911. A good 5" 1911 will be VERY accurate and with the avail. parts will be easy to make it even MORE accurate than it is out of the box.

The 1911 platform will let you into more opportunities than other guns. There is loads of opportunity to modify/improve/etc. I'd go with a 1911 assuming you are looking for a centerfire caliber.

Also, if you want to shoot true "Conventional Pistol" you'll need a 1911. There are restrictions placed on the variations from the traditional 1911 pistol, so a little research is in order before you buy if you really want to go for that. A good sight for Bullseye shooting is www.bullseyepistol.com.

What ever you get, you'll want adjustable target sights rather than the typical sights you'll find on a SIG or Glock (or even most stock 1911's).

The other thing to look at of course is a good .22 cal like a Ruger MKIII. Very accurate. Inexpensive. Lots of possible variations (trigger jobs, etc.). 1/3 of the conventional pistol course is shot in .22. Also, .22 is superb for building basic skills that carry over to the major calibers and is very cheap to shoot.

Matt

yes, i had a 1911 until my ex's attorney sought a restraining order on me; i took my 70 series colt to FS and it sold right away. didn't want it confiscated and never seen again. judge, to his credit, saw no reason for the RO, but the gun was gone. thought about another 1911. S&W seems the most popular (besides Kimber)?
-rf

Back
Top Bottom