• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NRA Basic Pistol / Home Firearm Safety Instructor Class

KMaurer

NES Member
Last year I did a course for NES members who were interested in becoming certified as NRA and Mass firearm instructors, and had planned to do a second one a few months later. Unfortunately life and business got in the way, and the second one never materialized. I've recently had several people harass me severely, convincing me to do another such course. As a result, I'll be offering an NRA Basic Pistol Instructor/Home Firearm Safety Instructor class for new instructors. The class will be at the Westford Sports men's Club on Sunday, February 11, and Saturday & Sunday, February 17 & 18. The total cost will be $200, and those successfully completing the course can become certified as NRA Instructors and (probably more importantly) as Mass Certified BFSI Instructors authorized to do the required training for FID/LTC applicants.

Candidates must attend all three sessions, and need to be both competent (though not necessarily expert) shooters and interested in helping new shooters learn the basics. I've still got room for a couple more candidates, so if you're interested, please either PM or E-Mail me within the next week. I don't need any money before the class, but I will need a commitment by the end of next week so that I can order the necessary materials for the class.

I expect to offer more classes later this year for both NRA Personal Protection in the Home and the new NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home course for both interested shooters and for instructor candidates. Instructor candidates for PPotH are required by NRA to be certified as both Basic Pistol and Personal Protection in the Home Instructors.

Ken

I'm interested in the PPotH once the class becomes available (I already have the pre-requisite certification). The $200 price for the basic instructor course seems fair, and the last NRA information I received about PPotH stated there would be no correspondence, grandfathering or any other non-classroom option for existing instructors wishing to upgrade. I would be interested in learning if the PPotH is a 3 day class, or if it is fewer days when being offered as an additional certification.

Ken, although I really want to do this, I'm going to pass on this during the Winter months (100mi RT commute x 3 in the dead of Winter is tempting fate a bit too much).

In addition I have RO duty on 2/17 and although there is supposed to be 2 ROs on duty, I have been the sole RO for the past 3 months. Thus, if I'm not there, it is likely that all the BR&P outdoor ranges will be shutdown on that day and I'd feel bad for the members if I was responsible for that to happen.

So, if you ever decide to run this again in the late Spring, Summer or Fall, please keep me in mind.

Ken,

I'd be interested in the courses as well, though like Len, I can't do it in February. If you're building up waiting lists for a spring/summer course, put me on it.

Thanks!

Norm.

Ken,

I'd be interested in the courses as well, though like Len, I can't do it in February. If you're building up waiting lists for a spring/summer course, put me on it.

Thanks!

Norm.

Me too. My wife and I are away on vacation those weeks. [grin] I'd also be interested in both of the Personal Protection classes for me and my wife.

Since I know there's interest, I'll post well in advance for the summer courses, rather than starting a list now, since life happens and things always seem to change for people.

Ken

... those successfully completing the course can become certified as NRA Instructors and (probably more importantly) as Mass Certified BFSI Instructors authorized to do the required training for FID/LTC applicants.

Hi Ken,

Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by "can become"? Is there further training beyond this, or is it a matter of filing paperwork?

Also, what is BFSI?

I'm also interested, but it would have to be a summer class and I'd need to drug my wife to get away for 3 whole days!

BFSI = Basic Firearms Safety Instructor

It is my understanding that the a current MA LTC, a current NRA instructor certification and $50 are all you need to become a MA certified BFSI.

Back
Top Bottom