NRA Basic Pistol for CT non res permit

Flint

NES Member
I know Mass Firearms has a class for the CT non resident license and I see a couple NRA Basic Pistol on the NRA's website.

Are there other places to look for one of these classes? Unfortunately I did the Home Safety class in a rush when I moved in for my LTC which doesn't have livefire and won't count for CT.

I know Mass Firearms has a class for the CT non resident license and I see a couple NRA Basic Pistol on the NRA's website.

Are there other places to look for one of these classes? Unfortunately I did the Home Safety class in a rush when I moved in for my LTC which doesn't have livefire and won't count for CT.
Mass Firearms caused delay is my application. When I took the CT Class, the instructor told me to mail in 3 checks for the fees. I did everything as instructed, I had my checkbook with me in the class, I wrote the check and had the instructor look it all over before sending it off that evening.

2/16 USPS tracking shows delivery
3/8 Received a letter back with 2 of my undeposited checks, Only 1 check for the app fee, another fee is not being charged anymore, and the fingerprint fee needs to be paid online and send and email with a confirmation number showing payment.
5/22 Called to check Status, the lady told me I was put at the bottom of the pile when they returned my check and waited for online payment. The process started again and now they show the date it was received was on 3/30.

It caused a 6 week delay.

Oof thats no fun, so it's about a 6 week delay? I called the State and got my packet. I'm going to do a NRA Basic Pistol class hopefully soon and then work through the list in the packet.

Oof thats no fun, so it's about a 6 week delay? I called the State and got my packet. I'm going to do a NRA Basic Pistol class hopefully soon and then work through the list in the packet.
Does the packet tell you to pay the fingerprint fee online (new procedure) or does it tell you to pay with 3 separate checks? (Old procedure)

I used the packet that MFS supplied which was old.

You only need an NRA certificate with “Certified live fire” imprinted on it, its nothing special.

Took the MFS class last year and had no issues or delays other than what was expected. I sent in three money orders and mailed it myself.

I think it took 30-60 days which at the time was normal for CT. Not sure what the normal delays are today though.

MFS' website says to call before taking the class and get your packet. I'm thinking they were surprised by some change CT made which made for some angry customers.

Heres the cover sheet for the packet, looks like two payments 6 & 7, although maybe only 7 is an actual mailed check. I'll figure it out when I get into it, but it's somewhat cryptic to me now haha

Attachments

• 16533896548113557589504823834194.jpg
    16533896548113557589504823834194.jpg
    511.5 KB · Views: 10
MFS' website says to call before taking the class and get your packet. I'm thinking they were surprised by some change CT made which made for some angry customers.

Heres the cover sheet for the packet, looks like two payments 6 & 7, although maybe only 7 is an actual mailed check. I'll figure it out when I get into it, but it's somewhat cryptic to me now haha
Yes, number 6 is the requirement to pre-pay the fingerprint fee (online with barcode confirmation) and 7 is the mail-in check for the application fee. The other fee is no longer collected which is why I got 2 of the 3 checks back.

When I got the letter and the checks back with the new instructions about online payment, I did as instructed and paid online and emailed the bar code confirmation number the same day but regardless my application was considered incomplete and I was rotated back to the end of the line.

I called MFS and told them that the application and instructions they were giving to "Students" was obsolete and invalid and that it had caused the 6 week delay in my application process, I was very clear and said "Im not complaining but I wanted to tell you that you are giving out bad/obsolete info and suggested they get some updated application packets." The man replied " oh, is there anything else I can help you with?" I was not looking for anything but it would have been nice to hear "Im sorry to hear about that" or "thanks for taking the time to let us know." What I heard was (not spoken) "Yea, well you already paid us, so we dont care what happens"

I was a bit mad when I was told I was put at the end of the line, I was more mad when she told me I am now only about halfway point of the application process because I was rotated to the end of the line and then I was even more mad when the MFS employee acted like he was doing me a favor by answering my call.

The real kicker is that I am an Instructor and I could have had another instructor I know just give me a cert but I wanted to do it the right way and I took a class to be honest about it all and in doing so it caused the delay as I wouldnt have been using the given application packet, I would have gotten one from CT myself. While I can not do it and I will not do it but I wish I could give you a certificate just so MFS wont get your money after they gave me such an attitude.

The 6 week delay was because I followed the instruction that were given by MFS. The processing time for the permit is approx 5-6 months according to CT State Police, When I applied in Feb it was 4 months so I thought I was getting close and thats why I called, But it all started over and the "Received Date" went from 2/16 to 3/30

Took the MFS class last year and had no issues or delays other than what was expected. I sent in three money orders and mailed it myself.

I think it took 30-60 days which at the time was normal for CT. Not sure what the normal delays are today though.
that was prob the correct procedure at the time of your application and I was told the same when I applied this year (Feb 2022) but it has changed and MFS still had the entire class following old and outdated procedures, Im sure everyone that was in the same class got the delay also.

The Application fee needs to be mailed, the fingerprint free needs to be paid online ahead of time and use of a barcode confirmation for proof of payment and the 3rd fee is no longer collected, I received 2 of the 3 checks back (fingerprints and the fee thats no longer collected)

Update:
I have US Postal service informed delivery, every mornings I get an email showing the mail that will be delivered that day.

I have this pending for today.. considering my previous conversation with them, I wonder what this will be?!

Attachments

• 2C13B0D0-E164-43FB-9146-4C93FE7C05A3.jpeg
    2C13B0D0-E164-43FB-9146-4C93FE7C05A3.jpeg
    114.2 KB · Views: 7
The real kicker is that I am an Instructor and I could have had another instructor I know just give me a cert but I wanted to do it the right way and I took a class to be honest about it all and in doing so it caused the delay as I wouldnt have been using the given application packet, I would have gotten one from CT myself. While I can not do it and I will not do it but I wish I could give you a certificate just so MFS wont get your money after they gave me such an attitude.
It was many years ago, but CT accepted my NRA instructor cert for the training requirement.

Just got home and opened it. It arrived.

Funny, when I called on 5/22 the lady said “your about halfway through the wait” on my permit it shows a issue day of 5/24

Back
Top Bottom