• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NRA Bans ‘Operational’ Guns At NRA Convention

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
The NRA, America’s largest gun lobbying group, is planning to hold its annual convention this week in Nashville. According to planners, over 70,000 proud good guys (and girls) with guns are expected to show up. As always, attendees will hear talks from celebrities, politicians, former Alaskan half-term governors, and gun-rights advocates, while a massive arena will be filled with vendors.

Oddly, the NRA has decided that it wouldn’t feel safe allowing 70,000 people packing heat to mill about. According to local paper The Tennessean, the organization put together a plan that they say will keep people safe – namely, “no guns.”

A multilevel security plan went into works not long after Nashville was chosen as the convention destination. All guns on the convention floor will be nonoperational, with the firing pins removed

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2015/0...-guns-at-nra-convention-for-security-reasons/

Those with carry permits are in the clear inside the Music City Center. But the big nightly concerts are across the street at Bridgestone Arena.“Bridgestone Arena prohibits the possession of firearms,” according to a disclaimer on the NRA website. “When carrying your firearm, remember to follow all federal, state and local laws.”
It’s not unusual for parts of the NRA convention to be off limits to guns. Last year in Indianapolis, Lucas Oil Stadium enforced its firearm ban. In 2010, the entire convention area in Charlotte restricted concealed carrying.
NRA member Dan Utz of the Chicago area says he tries never to patronize establishments that don’t allow guns. In this case, he says he may have to break his rule.

doesn't seem too far fetched to me, you can carry where legally allowed to do so, as always

Looks like from the comments on the article - these are the display only guns - the ones that everyone Finger-Fs. You are allowed to lawfully carry in accordance with local, state and federal law.

This artilce is typical. The author doesn't know anything about firearms and didn't bother to do any research. Case in point:
A multilevel security plan went into works not long after Nashville was chosen as the convention destination. All guns on the convention floor will be nonoperational, with the firing pins removed, and any guns purchased during the NRA convention will have to be picked up at a Federal Firearms License dealer, near where the purchaser lives, and will require a legal identification.

Bold was done by author. These I imagine will be display guns. so that people can handle them and with a large crowd people will be getting muzzle swept every second.
Then "Jameson Parker" has an addition that says readers have added MattyW quote.

No Smoke, no fire, but lots of yelling about one.

Jesus, unreal. This type of decision drives me nuts. A related topic came up on another gun forum I frequent. I have a problem with "No gun/no carry" policies wherever they may be in effect. I've mentioned before that I can't see how we can expect the "antis" to ever think it's okay for us to carry at the local Wal-Mart, supermarket, mall, etc if we shouldn't be allowed to carry at a NRA event or gun show!? Think about that for a minute...if antis see how we aren't allowed to carry around our fellow gun owners at a gun related event, why should we be allowed to carry ANYWHERE?! Shame on the NRA for this...terrible decision.

The way I see it, banning carry at a NRA show is using the same logic as the anti-gunners.

ETA/Update: Looks like the article isn't entirely correct. Carry WILL be allowed, but not events at Bridgestone Center, since the arena prohibits carry.

During the 2015 NRA Annual Meeting & Exhibits, lawfully carried firearms will be permitted in the Music City Center with the proper license in accordance with Tennessee law. Bridgestone Arena prohibits the possession of firearms. When carrying your firearm, remember to follow all federal, state and local laws.

http://www.nraam.org/

Last edited:
This article is misleading to say the least. The "all firing pins" removed part refers to display guns, not guns carried by attendees. If you don't know anything about buying guns, you'd think that in the past you could just buy a gun on the exhibit hall floor and that using a FFL is a new requirement. I don't know anything about the Tennessean, but from this article, it looks like they don't know jack shit about the NRA.

There was a lot of criticism after the NC NRA Meetings because of the no concealed carry rule. I don't think that the NRA will make that mistake again. Last year in Indy and the year before in Houston attendees carried openly on the exhibit hall floor. I expect the same this year in Nashville. TN is a very pro 2A state. I carried at Graceland, the Country Music Hall of Fame, and most other venues. You can carry in bars, but you can't drink if you do so. There is some binding signage, but not a lot.

If you look at the rest of this site, you'll see that it's left wing lunacy all the way down.

Zappa, you should be ashamed for passing along left wing talking points like this. Anyone else would get a neg rep point from me, but since your a landsman and it's Pesach, I'm letting it slide. [wink]

Last edited:
Jesus, unreal. This type of decision drives me nuts. A related topic came up on another gun forum I frequent. I have a problem with "No gun/no carry" policies wherever they may be in effect. I've mentioned before that I can't see how we can expect the "antis" to ever think it's okay for us to carry at the local Wal-Mart, supermarket, mall, etc if we shouldn't be allowed to carry at a NRA event or gun show!? Think about that for a minute...if antis see how we aren't allowed to carry around our fellow gun owners at a gun related event, why should we be allowed to carry ANYWHERE?! Shame on the NRA for this...terrible decision.

The way I see it, banning carry at a NRA show is using the same logic as the anti-gunners.

I think you need to research it a little more....

Gun "rights" organization voluntarily holds activities at places that suppress rights [thinking]

The NRA, not supporting your right to carry at every avenue possible.

Gun "rights" organization voluntarily holds activities at places that suppress rights [thinking]

The NRA, not supporting your right to carry at every avenue possible.

Depends on the scope of the ban. If this is about deactivating demo guns, that's one thing, but if they're telling people not to carry in the hall or that they shouldn't, that's just ****ing stupid.

-Mike

Depends on the scope of the ban. If this is about deactivating demo guns, that's one thing, but if they're telling people not to carry in the hall or that they shouldn't, that's just ****ing stupid.

-Mike

We were prohibited from carrying at the Charlotte Convention Center and at the Bank of America Stadium. Big "no guns" signs were clearly visible. No one searched us or anything. But we felt the irony.

Stadium Policy: "Possessing and/or concealing a firearm, explosives or other weapons (weapons carried with permits are also prohibited)."

Last edited:
When are you going to understand the NRA is not pro gun it's pro money mostly yours.Send us money to protect your rights to own guns,send us money to get trained on how to teach people how to use firearms,but wait your not going to carrying that in here you can't be trusted. I never trusted the NRA, I see it as both sides sleep in the same bed, they work together to see how much money the can make from us.

Last edited:
When are you going to understand the NRA is not pro gun it's pro money mostly yours.Send us money to protect your rights to own guns,send us money get trained on how to teach people how to use firearms,but wait your not going to carrying that in here you can't be trusted. I never trusted the NRA, I see it as both sides sleep in the same bed, they work together to see how much money the can make from us.

This was reinforced at the 2nd amendment march myself and a bunch of NESers went down to in DC in like 2009. NRA had a booth set up like 150 yards from the stage to churn memberships but they couldn't be bothered to send someone as a speaker to actually speak at the rally itself. Typical.

-Mike

I don't see anything about banning concealed carry.

Its common sense to disable guns on the floor. So if a wacko tries to slip a round into a display gun, it won't work.

They've been doing this at SHOT for 25 years.

This was reinforced at the 2nd amendment march myself and a bunch of NESers went down to in DC in like 2009. NRA had a booth set up like 150 yards from the stage to churn memberships but they couldn't be bothered to send someone as a speaker to actually speak at the rally itself. Typical.

-Mike

Was that the same one Nugent (NRA board of directors Nugent), bailed out on because he wasn't happy with the speakers fee?

Was that the same one Nugent (NRA board of directors Nugent), bailed out on because he wasn't happy with the speakers fee?

Yeah, he was a big time shitface and ditched the rally because he suddenly demanded like 30 grand to perform (when in reality, at first he was offering to do it for free, etc). Obviously nobody was going to end up paying for that in the end, so the organizers said "no wai". Of course him backing out had this ripple effect and almost ****ed up the entire thing, people had wrongly thought it was all going to be cancelled because of him not being onboard, etc. Funny how every other speaker that showed up basically had their costs covered etc and that was good enough for them, but not for shitface. It just proves his fapping and yapping over RKBA is nothing more than a marketing vector for him to make money with.

-Mike

When are you going to understand the NRA is not pro gun it's pro money mostly yours.Send us money to protect your rights to own guns,send us money get trained on how to teach people how to use firearms,but wait your not going to carrying that in here you can't be trusted. I never trusted the NRA, I see it as both sides sleep in the same bed, they work together to see how much money the can make from us.

+1

NRA is to guns, as AARP is to old folks.

They really DGAF about the rights of the cause they "uphold". If they actually fixed the issues, they'd be out of a job. Think about it...

I'm laughing at the NES outrage brigade getting all jacked up at an article on a left wing website. An inaccurate article at that. Of course, I'm not laughing as hard as the liberals reading this thread are.

I'm laughing at the NES outrage brigade getting all jacked up at an article on a left wing website. An inaccurate article at that. Of course, I'm not laughing as hard as the liberals reading this thread are.

Jesus man. Did anyone actually read the effing thing.

Display guns on the floor of the show must have their firing pins removed.

DUH. This makes total perfect 100% sense. You will have hundreds of people handling the guns for days. During that time they will be violating many of the laws of safe gun handling, simply because there isnt really anywhere safe to point the firearm other than down.

Like I said above. SHOT has been doing this for DECADES.

Don

I did, you did. After that, all bets are off.

Jesus man. Did anyone actually read the effing thing.

Display guns on the floor of the show must have their firing pins removed.

DUH. This makes total perfect 100% sense. You will have hundreds of people handling the guns for days. During that time they will be violating many of the laws of safe gun handling, simply because there isnt really anywhere safe to point the firearm other than down.

Like I said above. SHOT has been doing this for DECADES.

Don

Zappa, you should be ashamed for passing along left wing talking points like this. Anyone else would get a neg rep point from me, but since your a landsman and it's Pesach, I'm letting it slide. [wink]

I knew it was written by a leftist and full of inaccuracies and omissions, but this is the BS the MSM is feeding unenlightened.
I figured it had more to do with the rules of a particular venue rather than the NRA.
The Las Vegas Convention Center also has a no weapons allowed policy, which is likely why the SHOT Show is held at the Sands instead.

Bold was done by author. These I imagine will be display guns. so that people can handle them and with a large crowd people will be getting muzzle swept every second.
Then "Jameson Parker" has an addition that says readers have added MattyW quote.

No Smoke, no fire, but lots of yelling about one.
True, but there will almost certainly be a ban on legally carry guns.

The Las Vegas Convention Center also has a no weapons allowed policy, which is likely why the SHOT Show is held at the Sands instead.
Doubtful it is the reason. The Shot Show has a strict "no weapons except for tagged and approved display weapons that have been disabled".

Doubtful it is the reason. The Shot Show has a strict "no weapons except for tagged and approved display weapons that have been disabled".

Maybe, maybe not.
The LVCC is city owned and their no weapons policy includes knives too.
Any decent sportsmans trade show will also feature an abundance of sharp tools made for cutting, it's a bit trickier to "disable" a knife or machete short of sealing them inside locked cases.
The Sands is a private venue so the rules can be more easily adjusted to meet the needs of the organization holding the event.

+1

NRA is to guns, as AARP is to old folks. D

They really DGAF about the rights of the cause they "uphold". If they actually fixed the issues, they'd be out of a job. Think about it...

No they wouldn't. Eternal vigilance is the price of freedom. Do you think the antis will ever stop trying to destroy the 2A?

how the firg could you remove the firing pins of 20,000 guns if you wanted to? 500 gun smiths? what about revolvers, just rip off the hammer?

I don't see anything about banning concealed carry.

Its common sense to disable guns on the floor. So if a wacko tries to slip a round into a display gun, it won't work.

They've been doing this at SHOT for 25 years.
i feel uncomfortable around firearms in busy gunshops like hoffmans, getting swept by newbies and the possibility of some nut chambering a round. i try to go real early when real men get up to go buy a gun or ammo.

Back
Top Bottom