1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

NRA’s Dirty Laundry Exposed as Pro-Gun Group Cleans House

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mikeyp, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

Answer: NO! Because of apathy and momentum. It will be very hard to change anything. Sometimes it takes something ugly to fix things. Hoping this just gets resolved quietly and quickly, personally. However large it is. We need all the members we can get and a scandal will put a multi-year dent in the # of members.

FPrice likes this.

2. amm5061

amm5061 NES Member

Yeah, it's the weirdest voting system. I'm also about a year or two away from getting my vote back. I let mine lapse for awhile as well.

I saw a big push for bullet voting for Adam Kraut last go around, but it looked like the NRA managed to fend him off again.

3. falcon123

falcon123 NES Member

Now we know why the NRA seemed to act against our interests in many recent instances by going along our failing to opposed anti gun legislation.

4. edmorseiii

edmorseiii Navy Veteran NES Member

Yup, and I think he has had enough of their bullshit. Shame, he would have been a good one for sure.

Rekonn and wiryone1 like this.
  5. boilermaker

boilermaker NES Member

Looks like he is still running: Adam Kraut, Esq.

Rekonn likes this.
  6. amm5061

amm5061 NES Member

I think he may try for the 76 seat again.

7. HARRYM

HARRYM NES Member

Adam would make a fine candidate for the NRA B.O.D. This is all about a pissing contest with Hammer and Adam over Hammer's wanting the NRA nomination committee always having firm control over who gets hand picked versus who can petition their way on the ballot. Some worry that anti-gunners could gain enough sigs to get on the ballot. I'm not saying that will happen but there is real paranoia in the NRA. You see the anti-hunters for example getting themselves onto many states fish and game boards. The NRA doesn't want that happening in the NRA. Again, not saying I agree with it. I have told the NRA Adam should be nominated hands down but who the hell am I, a nobody. Adam actually got real close the last election, real close.

8. whacko

whacko

From my research today it's definitely apparent that the elections are set up so that the incumbents stay on the board forever. This thread has got my attention and got me doing some research.

JJ4 likes this.
  9. granitestater

granitestater

Even if Adam Kraut were got elected to the NRA Board, he will quickly be marginalized.

There are 76 directors, that means to effect meaningful change, 50% + 1 is needed or 38 directors. I doubt there are 38 directors who care about anything more than putting NRA Board Member on their resumes. They do very little directing and largely go along to get along.

Look at the board makeup -- celebrities, tax protestors, religious zealots, anti gay activists and many other political types who put other interests ahead of the Second Amendment. They just don't care enough. Many folks get all wound up and cheer on CPAC. LaPierre goes to that even and speaks. But look at CPAC. They talk about the Second Amendment but have the conference in anti-gun Maryland where few people can legally carry concealed. If these "conservatives" really cared about the Second Amendment and wanted to hold a conference near Washington DC they would hold it somewhere in Northern Virginia because Virginia honors any valid out of state license. The Second Amendment is not second or even third or fourth for these people, it is way down on the list. The head of CPAC is Matt Schlapp. His wife Mercedes was on the NRA Board for a short time until she quit to work in the Trump Administration. Another bad former NRA director was Grover Norquist who is a professional tax protestor and doesn't really care about the Second Amendment. Norquist was not reelected last year. Maybe that was due to a rumor that he has ties to the Muslim Brotherhood. But the reason he lost doesn't matter, he is gone and the NRA is better off without him.

No thanks, the NRA can't be saved. My money goes to Gun Owners of America!

KBCraig, JJ4 and boilermaker like this.
  10. citoriguy

citoriguy NES Member

^39, but I get your point. Lapierre is one of a handful of reasons I never joined.

11. sln583

sln583

I vote for Adam Kraut and Adam Kraut only every year.
    It sends a message if nothing else.

Rekonn and wiryone1 like this.
  12. Dadstoys

Dadstoys NES Member

The anti's should be careful what they wish for.
    If Wayne ,Cox and Hammer get the boot and some bloodthirsty young guns get into power it could get sporty.
    The money and power are there , just being misused.
    Start going balls out after some of these bigmouthed Dems and particularly the turncoat rinos and see how fast the volume gets dialed down.

There was a time when even a fair amount of Dems didn't cross the line in vunerable districts .
    Now it's all the Dems and a good amount of turncoat Republicans lining up to bend us over.
    We need the organization, not the monkeys throwing us under the bus out of one side of their mouth and screaming to send money so they can "Defend our rights" out of the other.

Waher and Bob P like this.
  13. KBCraig

KBCraig NES Member

Jeff Knox gave it credibility, and asked that you read the message instead of shooting the messenger.

14. KBCraig

KBCraig NES Member

This!

It's not that they don't care enough, it's that they only care about having the prestige of being a BOD member. Most don't attend to any of their legal responsibilities as directors.

As the Ammoland article pointed out, they and the entire organization are at risk because of that.

15. Woodstock

Woodstock NES Member

Someone at Everytown was reading the New Yorker and filed a complaint with the IRS over the NRA's tax status:
    Gun Control Group Goes After NRA's Tax-Exempt Status
    They're on Soros' payroll, so they have the deep pockets to follow through. On the other hand, maybe it will shake up enough of the old dinosaurs on the NRA BOD that they retire and let some new blood run things. Not betting the grocery money, though.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  16. slap shot

slap shot NES Member

Who will fill the void???

17. KBCraig

KBCraig NES Member

Since the NRA has been screwing over the membership and doing end-runs around their tax status for a couple of decade now, maybe it's time.

18. MassPete

MassPete Instructor NES Member

Maybe we should file a complaint with the IRS against Everytown. A donation to an organization that is trying to strip our Constitutional rights is TAX DEDUCTIBLE!!

Quote, "Please note that contributions to the Everytown for Gun Safety Support Fund ARE tax-deductible. If you prefer to write a check, please make it out to Everytown for Gun Safety Support Fund and mail it to: Everytown For Gun Safety"

Formation 2006
    Founder Michael R. Bloomberg
    Type 501(c)(4)[1]
    501(c)(3)[2]
    Tax ID no.
    26-1598353[3]
    Registration no. 20-8802884[4]
    Headquarters Manhattan, New York City, U.S.
    Region
    United States
    President
    John Feinblatt
    Subsidiaries Moms Demand Action, Students Demand Action
    Affiliations Everytown for Gun Safety Support Fund, Everytown For Gun Safety Action Fund
    Revenue (2016)
    $36 million[5]
    Expenses (2016) $36.5 million[6]
    Website everytown.org[1]
    Formerly called
    Mayors Against Illegal Guns

KBCraig and JJ4 like this.
  19. Woodstock

Woodstock NES Member

I'll just leave this here: The new American Rifleman hit the mailbox yesterday with a frantic message from LaPierre. We need to send money, and lots of it, or Andrew Cuomo and the state of New York are going to put the NRA out of business.

20. whacko

whacko

Maybe Wayne can donate some of his 1.4 mil

design, Mesatchornug, KBCraig and 4 others like this.
  21. usp45ct

usp45ct

Weed out the corruption and come back stronger. Also a life member and proud of it.

I too give to other organizations as well. I will be interested in what happens to the organization.

Rekonn, jpk and kingfisher like this.
  22. Dadstoys

Dadstoys NES Member

Sometimes a house gets so neglected you have to tear it down and start over.
    No compromise , no negotiation.
    You screw with our member's constitutional rights and we're coming for your seat with everything we have.
    The one thing politicians fear more than anything else is losing power.
    Playing to any sense of morality or humanity is a waste of time, most of them have neither.

Salyeica likes this.
  23. timbo

timbo Navy Veteran NES Member

I'm confused...how can a non profit, 501 (c)(3) organization such as this "everytown" do what it does, politically speaking, and still stay a 501(c)(3)? Serious question. I thought they were supposed to stay out of politics.

jpk and JJ4 like this.
  24. KBCraig

KBCraig NES Member

They're both (c)(3) and (c)(4), and are allowed "limited" lobbying and advocacy. I'm sure Bloomberg's lawyers and accountants have covered their primary purposes of education and general health and welfare.

25. boilermaker

boilermaker NES Member

So sounds like the NRA is starting to come apart:

NRA’s Wayne LaPierre Says He Is Being Extorted, Pressured to Resign

Quote from the article:
    "Longtime National Rifle Association leader Wayne LaPierre has told the group’s board he is being extorted and pressured to resign by the organization’s president, Oliver North, over allegations of financial improprieties, in an extraordinary battle roiling one of the nation’s most powerful nonprofit political groups.

In a letter sent to NRA board members late Thursday afternoon, Mr. LaPierre, the group’s CEO and executive vice president, said he refused the demand. Instead he called on board members to “see this for what it is: a threat meant to intimidate and divide us.” "

JJ4 likes this.
  26. Woodstock

Woodstock NES Member

Sounds like Ollie might have read the New Yorker, too. Popcorn, anyone?

JJ4 likes this.
  27. boilermaker

boilermaker NES Member

Maybe the New Yorker piece wasn't just a "hit piece" as some have said but rather factual?

KBCraig likes this.
  28. wiryone1

wiryone1

29. jpk

jpk

LaPierre is a cancer on the NRA imho and for the good of the NRA and its purported mission he should step down

You might be surprised how many former and new members rejoin/join the NRA if they clean house/make a commitment to actually defending RKBA instead of the shenanigans they've been pushing for last couple decades

30. jpk

jpk

I'd take North over that weasel LaPierre any day