• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NRA’s Cleans House/downward spiral megathread, Update post 567 NRA Staffer Used $40K in NRA Money to Pay for Family Wedding

I never even seriously considered donating to the NRA, though I did extend my membership several times when they kept offering discounts. Effectively that was a donation, I guess, but now my membership doesn't expire for another 15 years. I think they've seen all the money they're ever going to see from me. My son bought a life membership, and he's been regretting that. I'm hoping the NRA will recover somewhat, but like I've said before, I don't expect it to with Wayne at the helm.

$2M is obscene for a nonprofit, not to mention all the other perks and spending for that douche. 57% raise? Not sure there is a word for that. I do care for the NRA's mission and generally what it represents, but will not support it while held hostage by such a sleaze ball. Glad to rejoin as soon as they clean house, without installing a Wayne 2.0 of course.

Hell, a QB really shouldn’t make $30mil and an outfielder shouldn’t make $25m. For the size of the NRA, $2m isn’t that out of the realm.

Hell, a QB really shouldn’t make $30mil and an outfielder shouldn’t make $25m. For the size of the NRA, $2m isn’t that out of the realm.

Paying QB's and outfielders more money is based on the idea that they are adding value to the product (entertainment) and are, in some sense, responsible for more revenue than they are being paid. More to the point, there presumably is not a substantially less expensive replacement that can do better in the overall sense of the impact to the team's bottom line, or at least such players are very hard to find and identify as such.

So the question is, what is La Pierre's effect on the bottom line at the NRA? Is there a cheaper replacement that could do as well or better? I'm guessing there are quite a few people who could do that job much better than La Pierre at this point, and quite a lot of these people could be retained with substantially lower compensation.

In comparison, since you bring up QB's:

Patriots annual revenue is $600M. Players are paid ~$212M, with Brady getting ~$15M of that. The players are the small, elite group that are the reason for the income, so I'd consider them 'production' and not management. Closest sports equivalent to WLP in my opinion would be the GM. NFL GM's make between $1M and $3M per year- some less. Patriots are a bit of a unique case where Belechick acts as both head coach and GM, with a salary of $7.5M. Let's generously call his GM portion of the salary $3M.

So the GM of a $600M business is worth $3M and it's OK for the CEO of a nonprofit with money problems to be paid the same? Keep in mind WLP's 2015 total income was over $5M. I have a problem with this, but I've not cared for Wayno since day one so yeah I'm biased.

So, I just got my "You're a voting member!" issue of American Rifleman, with a ballot inside.

Who am I supposed to bullet-vote for?

I read on I think savethe. 2nd that the voting participation was only 6 % and 94% did not vote who could. Is it any wonder that there is shenanigans?

USA – -(AmmoLand.com)- Let’s face some facts; the NRA lost Virginia.

Virginia Public Access Project reported that the National Rifle Association spent $350,000+ this cycle to help pro 2A candidates beat back Democrats who were running on gun confiscation.

Gun confiscation groups' spent far more. Everytown for Gun Safety Action Fund and Everytown for Gun Safety Victory report that they spent $2.5 million in Virginia, making the group the biggest outside donors; Gifford’s PAC spent $300,000 on a digital ad campaign alone.

Given that the NRA has no face or voice, their $350,000 was dwarfed, and their voice silenced. In the past, the NRA would spend $2 million-plus to help protect gun owners' rights in their home state, not any more.

So while Wayne LaPierre is busy spending his $2 million a year salary and hiring loyal cronies for $800K each (there were 6-8 of them), the democrat party is using Bloomberg’s dollars to buy power, and repaying him with bizarre and ineffectual gun control laws. These laws are designed to separate you from your 2A rights, not to fight crime or save lives. Should Bloomberg win the Presidential election it will be because he calls for reasonable gun safety laws, but once elected, will confiscate your firearms. Virginia is the blueprint they will follow.

Voter turnout was only 40% in the last election in Virginia; there was room for the NRA to rally gun owners to turn out. The fact is, the NRA spent the needed resources on themselves and the lawyer, and with a purge of any employee who doesn’t believe in the “Cult of Wayne.” They lacked the institutional knowledge and ability to help preserve our rights. The fact is Wayne, not the NRA, let us down.

I don’t see the NRA changing back to what they once were. With 120,000,000 gun owners, we are the largest voting block in any national election. We have lost our unified voice.

That is what the NRA brought to the table. It was never about the money; it was about stirring the block of gun owners to vote to protect our rights. If only 65% of gun owners vote our 2A rights, we would sweep the House, hold the Senate, and elect Pro Bill of Rights Presidents.

Other nimble groups will fight for our rights.
Recently the Firearms Coalition did a fast blast e-mail. We flooded Sacrament and killed a hike in the cost of owning a gun in California. So let me ask. Where was the NRA? Absent, only we owe Jeff Knox a THANK YOU! Proof you don’t need a lot of money to make a real difference. Jeff is a patriot! DONATE TO THEM.

Jeff put his efforts where the NRA should have been. Shame on you, Wayne, for abandoning 33 million citizens. In reality, it is nothing more or less than you did (or rather didn’t do) in Virginia. I see a pattern.

Liberals are SHOCKED!
The philosophy on the left has always been that the NRA takes money from gun manufacturers and spends it on congress to thwart the will of the people, they have been shocked to find out that the efforts in Virginia are a grassroots movement. that while the NRA (who would like to claim credit for the rally and response) is absent. The NRA is offering too little too late. Without a national voice, we lose our ability to speak as one. Wayne, your greed and avarice cost 120,000,000 that voice. You’ve made the NRA irrelevant. The fact is, given the growth of the Virginia movement and other states, you make yourself OBSOLETE if you don’t change things fast.

yup...I declined the NRA's advances this year and put my money, which I believe is much better spent, into GOA and NHFC. This for the same price that Wayne-o was trying to extort from me.

Last edited:
Wayne is a metastatic cancer on the NRA. They will never be the advocacy group they once were. The only good out of this is the numerous other (grassroots) groups that have stepped in and are slowly filling the void left by the NRA.

that's all i marked, he's the only one i know. no time to research the rest

Gone are the days when 6-9 celebs were on the ballot. Which I think is a good thing. I'm not sure what they bring to the table by JUST being celebrities.

Gone are the days when 6-9 celebs were on the ballot. Which I think is a good thing. I'm not sure what they bring to the table by JUST being celebrities.

Celebs provided bodies with name recognition who *wouldn't* rock the boat- and likely would miss meetings. Change can't be made if you don't have active board members actually looking to follow their fiduciary duties.

In late March, the NRA cut salaries across the board by 20% and laid off staff as a result of the effects of the Chinese coronavirus and the resultant cancellation of the Association’s annual convention. As reported earlier this week by the Politico, those cuts amounted to about 60 employees coming off the payroll.

Now a source has sent us an email that was just distributed within the NRA announcing more coronavirus-related furloughs that will take effect this weekend. In addition, the NRA has decided to suspend its matching contributions to employees’ 401(k) and 457(b) accounts.

Here’s the communication that went out to NRA employees:

Dear NRA Family,
The NRA has never been just a building or an organization to me. It is a family—of members, of employees and of patriots like you who every day pour your heart and soul into our singular mission of defending our nation’s freedoms. I want to personally thank you for all you have done, and continue to do, to live out this mission, especially during these unprecedented times. With the same fighting spirit the NRA is known for, we will get through this together.
These are extraordinarily challenging times for all Americans. In 43 years working for the NRA (29 of them as your Executive Vice President), I have never seen a crisis like the one our world is in right now, nor one that touches my heart so deeply. The impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic are being felt in every corner of the global economy, in businesses both large and small, including right here within our beloved NRA. With virtually every state now under “stay at home” orders, day-to-day business activities stopped or greatly reduced, and households quarantined to prevent the further spread of the coronavirus, this has been one of the greatest and most significant challenges we’ve ever faced as Americans.
Sadly, the NRA is not immune to these challenges, either. With the cancellation of the NRA Annual Meeting in Nashville and the required suspension of all in-person programs, trainings, fundraising and other events, and competitions, we have had to adjust. We have lost significant revenue. And just like every other business and household in America, we, too, must make difficult decisions now to ensure our “house”—the bedrock of protecting our nation’s freedom—remains viable for the long term.
Against this backdrop, and with a heavy heart, we have had to make the very painful decision to furlough employees who cannot perform their duties in the short term due to the cancellation or postponement of events, temporary closure of facilities or other disruptions in our operations. Although we do not have a crystal ball and cannot make specific promises, our hope—and intention—is to bring back as many furloughed employees as possible, as soon as possible, as conditions improve.
Employees who are affected will be contacted directly by Human Resources tomorrow, Friday April 10, with more details and to provide additional resources and answer specific questions. Furloughs will take effect on Sunday, April 12 and will end on varying dates based on employees’ duties and the needs of the NRA.
Here’s what this means for furloughed employees:
· Furloughed employees will not be paid or take leave during the furlough; however, employment status will not change. In accordance with employment law, during the furlough employees may not work on NRA business, even on a voluntary basis. Accordingly, e-mail and VPN access will be shut off, as will access to NRA facilities. Arrangements may be made on a case-by-case basis (and consistent with necessary health precautions) for furloughed employees to retrieve any needed personal items.
· All NRA benefits, including health insurance, will be retained under each employee’s current open enrollment selections. Furloughed employees will continue to pay their usual premiums for all elected benefits. Furloughed employees are not eligible to make 401(k) or 457(b) contributions during this time.
· State unemployment benefits are available to eligible employees, as well as expanded financial support to individual and families through the CARES Act.
In addition to the furloughs, the NRA has made the additional hard decision, pending approval from the NRA’s Executive Committee, to temporarily suspend employer matching contributions to the NRA 401(k) plan. Employees will receive 30 days’ notice before such action takes effect. Like with the furloughs, our goal is to resume matching contributions as soon as possible as market conditions improve.
Employees are encouraged to evaluate personal contributions and financial options, and to take advantage of options not available in personal savings or investments accounts, such as deferred taxes and compounded growth. If you have any questions about your Plan, please contact our plan administrator Fidelity at 800-XXX-XXXX.
For 149 years, the NRA has withstood countless challenges—both within our country and against our organization as a whole—and we have always emerged stronger and more tightly knit. This will be no different. Our members and our employees are the heart of what we do and the first-line defenders of our freedom across America. I look forward to the time, hopefully soon, when we are all back together again as one united—and strong—NRA family.
We will get through this. Please stay safe.
-Wayne

In late March, the NRA cut salaries across the board by 20% and laid off staff as a result of the effects of the Chinese coronavirus and the resultant cancellation of the Association’s annual convention. As reported earlier this week by the Politico, those cuts amounted to about 60 employees coming off the payroll.

Now a source has sent us an email that was just distributed within the NRA announcing more coronavirus-related furloughs that will take effect this weekend. In addition, the NRA has decided to suspend its matching contributions to employees’ 401(k) and 457(b) accounts.

Once again the NRA can lick the sweat off my balls. Did Wayne cut his pay or expense account?
I’ll bet Jim has his laundry done at home and carries a reasonable dry cleaning expense.
Sadly I can’t help him out or I would. I just send extra to GOAL.

I wonder if the NRA openly and accurately publishes its revenue and operating costs. We're 2 or 3 weeks into this thing and timing is late winter / early spring. How much event and competition revenue have they lost during the sh!tty weather part of the year, compared to their annual take? Is the net profit from the annual meeting that high? As far as WLP goes, 20% off of a ridiculous salary still nets a ridiculous salary. They don't even allow taking leave for the furlough which appears to prevent anyone from taking owed vacation time so that they could at least be paid for that. Also how are the employees supposed to pay their health premiums? This is an absolutely rock-bottom pond scum furlough policy.

I'd say shame on Wayno, but he wouldn't understand the concept.

Did asinine laws quit being pushed that they could be lobbying against? I can't think of too many things the NRA does at the headquarters level that couldn't be done via phone/computer? What a dick move.

Get rid of Wayne and his cronies and put real people in with working man's salaries and then come talk to America's firearm owner!
My money is hard earned.
When he plays with it like it's a monopoly game, I'm done with the blind faith in their leadership!
That money could be spent for my own activism and 2nd Amendment rights.
Don't piss it away like it was yours all along!
Everyone's 2A rights are your own individual fight. Take it laying down or say "oh, hell no!".

Why is our govt. with it's nuclear weapons, so afraid of a citizen with rifle?
That is the question. Is it because we understand what freedom means to us or is it because they want to take that away from us?

Or is it that you can't force a man to do something against his will unless you have the means to maim or kill him?
An armed man possesses the means to resist and has a will, no paycheck will ever compete with.
Are our lives only allowed to exist to appease the 2 percent elites in this country for their own prosperity and self preservation?

Last edited:
Once again the NRA can lick the sweat off my balls. Did Wayne cut his pay or expense account?
I’ll bet Jim has his laundry done at home and carries a reasonable dry cleaning expense.
Sadly I can’t help him out or I would. I just send extra to GOAL.
The company I work for has a CEO that is voluntarily taking no salary for 2 months and still working in order to have money to lay off fewer managers and hourly folks. That's a leader.

Wayne.....is not a leader.

Last edited:

$100 Million? Not exactly. My expectations for a NPR article were not high but they actually seem to have at least a partial grasp of the facts, excepting the sensationalized title. From the recording:

"The cost that we bore was probably about a hundred million dollar hit in lost revenue and real cost to this Association in 2018 and 2019," LaPierre said...

No doubt, WLP and cronies have cost the NRA dearly; but that's an estimate including their guess at lost revenue. Who knows the real cost. In the transcripts, Wayno was bitching about weaponized government attacking the NRA (NY and DC attorneys general) but it was his handling of NRA finances that put the ammo in their chambers. He literally gave NY and DC an opening to sue.

I'm a life member of the NRA back in the 1980's, and now make a donation to Ma. goal and make sure All our Amazon purchases % go to 2a, but it is depressing Blowbird can spend 1 Billion on a failed Bid for President, let alone what he spends on Nobody's Moms for BS.

$100 Million? Not exactly. My expectations for a NPR article were not high but they actually seem to have at least a partial grasp of the facts, excepting the sensationalized title. From the recording:

"The cost that we bore was probably about a hundred million dollar hit in lost revenue and real cost to this Association in 2018 and 2019," LaPierre said...

No doubt, WLP and cronies have cost the NRA dearly; but that's an estimate including their guess at lost revenue. Who knows the real cost. In the transcripts, Wayno was bitching about weaponized government attacking the NRA (NY and DC attorneys general) but it was his handling of NRA finances that put the ammo in their chambers. He literally gave NY and DC an opening to sue.

“Cost” doesn’t necessarily mean the amount you were billed. Opportunity cost is still a cost. More importantly, those figures were WLP’s, not NPR’s.

“Cost” doesn’t necessarily mean the amount you were billed. Opportunity cost is still a cost. More importantly, those figures were WLP’s, not NPR’s.

Yes, Wayno's- that was my point. Opportunity cost is a worthwhile discussion for internal and planning purposes but not appropriate in the context of WLP's discussion.

The company I work for has a CEO that is voluntarily taking no salary for 2 months and still working in order to have money to lay off fewer managers and hourly folks. That's a leader.

Wayne.....is not a leader.
Just a thought... Salary is usually the smallest part of a CEO’s total comp... Say 300-500k salary, A few mil in bonus and an even larger number in differed/option comp... no salary my be a 10% or less cut in total comp? ... just a thought!

Back
Top Bottom