• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NRA’s Cleans House/downward spiral megathread, Update post 567 NRA Staffer Used $40K in NRA Money to Pay for Family Wedding

If the NRA makes it to the next convention I don't know how Wayne is going to be able to walk on stage. The membership in attendance would be throwing shit at him and booing.
That would be awesome.

It looks at this point like he's decided to go down in flames and take everyone with him.
If the guy had even an ounce of integrity he would have stepped down to save the organization .

'Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.' Lord Acton.

This is why there should be term limits on EVERYTHING.

Each of you should try this:

To: [email protected]

Subject: Supporter of NRA

Hello,
I am a supporter of the NRA but will NOT be renewing membership.
The reason for this is due to the failure of the Board to remove Wayne LaPierre.
While Wayne may have worked hard for Second Amendment rights, recent facts prove that he is is ineffective and lost the confidence of the members.

My sentiment is shared by many. There will be a tremendous loss of members and funds until Wayne is replaced with someone of integrity and transparency that can regain the faith of members.

In order to not loss all of the influence that the NRA has, this must happen immediately. Second Amendment attackers are already working to destroy what is left off the NRA.

You know what is really interesting about all this. Dan Bongino, who is at the tip of the spear with regards to uncovering the origins of the fake Russian dossier and the Fusion GPS/Christopher Steel connections and associations, formally worked for NRA TV. Bongino’s book Spygate is what made all the connections with Fusion GPS and put it out there in a well researched form.

Now we find out that Lapierre used Perkins Coie as well as Karen F. Thomas, of Gilbert & Wolfand PC. I can’t wait for Bongino’s take on this development!

There may be no connection between Lapierre and the DNC. Hopefully we will find out. But what is very clear is that Perkins Coie seems to be the go to people if you want to launder money in D.C.

Received a fund raising call from the NRA yesterday. Told them that the NRA wouldn't see another dollar from me until Wayne is gone. The rep implied that it was something she was hearing a lot. Maybe a wake up call is coming to the NRA.

Call me slightly skeptical but I wonder how many people who say that they will not give anything to the NRA while Wayne is still there will actually contribute if he were to leave?

Call me slightly skeptical but I wonder how many people who say that they will not give anything to the NRA while Wayne is still there will actually contribute if he were to leave?

One right here. I will gladly support regime change...

I haven't in about 12 years, because of what is now coming to the surface (I didn't know any of this, but I didn't like the soft direction the organization was going).

If Wayne is gone and replaced with someone with both integrity and a true RKBA spirit, I will join again, and donate.

A look back at the legacy of Oklahoma ad exec Angus McQueen
Angus McQueen, the longtime CEO of Oklahoma City ad agency Ackerman McQueen, died yesterday at the age of 74 after battling cancer. In his more than four decades at the agency, McQueen worked with a range of clients, including the National Rifle Association, the Chickasaw Nation and Oklahoma State University.

In a statement shared on the agency’s social channels after his death, McQueen was hailed as a “relentless champion of dreams” who was devoted to his employees, his hometown and his country. Ackerman McQueen created a special website landing page to honor its late leader.

If they pay $1.4M/yr plus a guaranteed 1.4M/yr for post-employment speaking engagements they'll just get another in it for the money player.

I'll go online the moment I gear he's gone and renew my membership.

I will gladly rejoin when he's gone plus I will maintain active status in GOAL, GOME, GOA, SAM and COMM 2A.

I would become a life member, and sign my entire family up as life members, if Wayne got shit canned, and the NRA started to do what the NRA is supposed to do. Tomorrow.

However, I think Rob Boudrie is right, if they offer big lobbyist money, they are going to get big lobbyist a**h***s and not much will change.

isn't it about time that all of the pro-gun organizations start pulling together? or are they too self-absorbed that they cannot function for the common goals?

Right after we reunite the Christian church.

There's a long long joke about two Christians meeting in deepest-darkest Africa. The punchline is, "Heathen!" BLAM!

Good luck with the kumbaya moment. People start "sisters" organizations because they want to make policy and be in charge. That isn't a recipe for coming together as one organization.

Right after we reunite the Christian church.

There's a long long joke about two Christians meeting in deepest-darkest Africa. The punchline is, "Heathen!" BLAM!
Then there is the cannibal that passed his brother in the jungle.

Good luck with the kumbaya moment. People start "sisters" organizations because they want to make policy and be in charge. That isn't a recipe for coming together as one organization.
Sort of like how IDPA was born of USPSA. Not only did the IDPA founders need to be in charge, they got rid of that pesky member voting thing.

https://www.thegunwriter.com/24792/nra-director-joel-friedman-setting-the-record-straight/

Lee’s note: Joel Freidman is a member of the National Rifle Association’s board of directors. His letter arrived unsolicited and is published with permission.

Setting the Record Straight
While I have wanted to speak out concerning the situation at the NRA, I have not due to the amount of litigation that has been ongoing, as well as my belief in the fiduciary responsibilities of a board member and trustee. However, I feel strongly about our mission to protect the Second Amendment, and while I may be maligned by some for sharing my thoughts, I can no longer remain silent.

I am not a Johnny-come-lately. I have been involved in the firearm rights movement for over 30 years, primarily at the grassroots level in California. I have gotten hard, calloused hands from my work, and I’m proud of it. I have been on the NRA Board of Directors since 2004 and served on various committees.

I would like to begin by discussing how we, the NRA, got to where we are today. After the election of Donald Trump – an election in which the NRA played a key role in securing his victory – the other side determined that they must find a way to neutralize, if not completely destroy, our Association in an attempt to win back Congress, the White House, and to destroy firearms’ freedoms as we know them today.

Funding for this anti-NRA campaign comes from people whose net worth is more than 11 figures. Their interest income alone from a month or two is so much greater than the entire budget of the NRA. For you and me, it is hard to conceive of such wealth.

Through the talents of those they hired, these people are working to destroy the reputation of the NRA – and attack our not-for-profit status. As we know, ongoing investigations by the attorneys general in New York and Washington D.C. have caused the NRA to use more resources for legal help than anyone could have ever imagined. But it is a battle we must fight based on our commitment to good governance. Losing our not-for-profit status would put the NRA out of business. I fear it would also lead to a repeal of the Second Amendment.

Beyond this critical fight, we also are waging a battle that could impact advocacy organizations across our nation. Our First Amendment lawsuit against New York Governor Andrew Cuomo and the New York State Department of Financial Services (DFS) is so significant that the ACLU has filed an amicus brief in support of the Association.

The NRA contends that Governor Cuomo and DFS are trying to coerce banks and insurance companies to withhold services from the NRA as retaliation for our political advocacy. If New York is successful in violating the NRA’s First Amendment rights, then every advocacy group in this country is at risk. We cannot allow politicians to determine who should and should not be in business because of their political or religious views.

In the face of orchestrated campaigns and legal disputes, the NRA has made tough decisions – demanding, among other things, increased transparency from its vendors. Most complied, but not all.

After 38 years of working hand-in-hand with the NRA, it is MY BELIEF that one of our vendors attempted to take over NRA leadership in order to preserve its own lucrative contracts. It is also MY BELIEF that this vendor had, for some time, believed that the NRA’s entire success was due to its efforts alone.

For more information on this, I encourage you to read the NRA’s lawsuit filed against Col. North. You will see what was done, and what was attempted, by this vendor.

As we know, the takeover attempt failed. Subsequently, as threatened, certain documents were leaked online with an aim to make NRA top management and board members look bad.

When tens of millions of dollars are on the line, some people will do extraordinary things.

I know there have been comments from certain individuals about how much money the NRA is “wasting” using its current legal firm. I bring to you a quote from Mr. Harlon Carter, creator of ILA and someone who brought the NRA into the political fight that would be necessary to preserve the Second Amendment.

He said, “I’ll spend every dime the NRA has to protect the Second Amendment.” Ladies and gentlemen, the NRA is in a fight for its life right now.

For those who have had negative things to say about the law firm representing us, I ask one simple question: Name one thing the firm has done that has hurt the NRA? Thus far, no one has been able to answer that question. The reality is, the firm has continuously moved the ball forward and pulled off improbable and extraordinary victories, while handling multiple cases on multiple playing fields.

With regard to the allegations made against Wayne LaPierre – brought forward in conjunction with the failed takeover attempt – I would like to remind everyone that he has given his life to the NRA and to the protection of the Second Amendment. Over the years, he excelled in every position he held and was finally elected as Executive Vice President (EVP) in 1991. During his tenure as EVP, the NRA grew from an anemic less-than-two-million-member association into a more than five-million-member powerhouse.

From his days as an NRA lobbyist to now, Wayne has played a pivotal role in our greatest accomplishments. For instance, when we kept the Gun Control Act of 1968 from taking your guns. When we lost on the “assault weapon ban,” but were smart enough to push for a 10-year sunset clause that expired. When we passed the ’86 Firearm Owners Protection Act. We stopped excessive waiting periods and one-a-month purchase schemes. The NRA led the fight to increase carry states from three to more than 40. Consider the NRA’s growth, under Wayne, from a standpoint of influence, finance and power.

Some claim his time has passed. I disagree. Wayne is still guiding the NRA faithfully, strategically and correctly through the most difficult time in its 150-year history. And after over four decades, Wayne knows more people, has more insight, and garners more respect than anyone I know. His absence alone would create problems not only for the NRA, but for the defense of the Second Amendment.

I want to directly address all the “lavish” spending that Wayne has been accused of.

Over the last 15 years, he has done hundreds of media interviews, campaign commercials, and attended thousands of events in promotion of the NRA and the Second Amendment. His wardrobe expenditures were directed by Ackerman McQueen. The agency invoiced the NRA for the clothing as a business expense.

This guy is just another board member who doesn't understand that LaPeirres obscene salary and clothing purchases are plain wrong. He works for a NON PROFIT not a fortune 500. His pay should not be compared to others. His pay should be based on the fact that he runs a non profit not a business with similar revenues. Then of course, there are the numerous legislative compromises and bad deals. But yet Friedman quoted Harlon Carter:

"I’ll spend every dime the NRA has to protect the Second Amendment.”

Carter was talking about defending the Second Amendment, not defending obscene salaries and benefit packages.

I don't understand how or why Friedman thinks he needs to defend the Brewer law firm... he seems to be oblivious to the obscene rate of about $97,000 per DAY! That is indefensible. At 24 hours that equals over $4000 per hour! Wow, at that rate I would just work one hour a day.

Some have said because LaPierre has such a high profile he needs expensive security. I wonder.. why doesn't he carry concealed and only travel to states that he can legally carry in? That would save hundreds of thousands of dollars per year.

Friedman also takes credit for the 1986 FOPA ACT. Well guess what, LaPierre was there and couldn't or wouldn't stop the ban on sales of new machineguns. LaPierre has been doing damage for over 30 years.

go to Guidestar.org and look at the normal salaries paid at Gun Owners of America. GOA deserves your support. They fight hard, dont compromise and dont rape the members.

This guy is just another board member who doesn't understand that LaPeirres obscene salary and clothing purchases are plain wrong. He works for a NON PROFIT not a fortune 500. His pay should not be compared to others. His pay should be based on the fact that he runs a non profit not a business with similar revenues. Then of course, there are the numerous legislative compromises and bad deals. But yet Friedman quoted Harlon Carter:

"I’ll spend every dime the NRA has to protect the Second Amendment.”

Carter was talking about defending the Second Amendment, not defending obscene salaries and benefit packages.

I don't understand how or why Friedman thinks he needs to defend the Brewer law firm... he seems to be oblivious to the obscene rate of about $97,000 per DAY! That is indefensible. At 24 hours that equals over $4000 per hour! Wow, at that rate I would just work one hour a day.

Some have said because LaPierre has such a high profile he needs expensive security. I wonder.. why doesn't he carry concealed and only travel to states that he can legally carry in? That would save hundreds of thousands of dollars per year.

Friedman also takes credit for the 1986 FOPA ACT. Well guess what, LaPierre was there and couldn't or wouldn't stop the ban on sales of new machineguns. LaPierre has been doing damage for over 30 years.

go to Guidestar.org and look at the normal salaries paid at Gun Owners of America. GOA deserves your support. They fight hard, dont compromise and dont rape the members.

His pay is required to be compared to other NFP execs based on the rebuttable presumption regulations. Treas. Reg. 53.4958-6. Clarifying for others.

Lee’s note: Joel Freidman is a member of the National Rifle Association’s board of directors.
He will not be after the next election when the NRA withdraws his "nominating committee recommended" designation.
Some have said because LaPierre has such a high profile he needs expensive security.
If he has such security, I would wager it is NRA paid and not funded out of his salary.
His pay is required to be compared to other NFP execs based on the rebuttable presumption regulations. Treas. Reg. 53.4958-6. Clarifying for others.
He could start by comparing his pay to the Pan MA Challenge, where the top dog only clears $500K+bonus, and the grand total across his family and beneficially owned entities comes in around $900K.

He will not be after the next election when the NRA withdraws his "nominating committee recommended" designation.

If he has such security, I would wager it is NRA paid and not funded out of his salary.

He could start by comparing his pay to the Pan MA Challenge, where the top dog only clears $500K+bonus, and the grand total across his family and beneficially owned entities comes in around $900K.

The problem is the regs require to be a similar entity, geography, scope, etc., in addition to an independent compensation study, contemporaneous documentation, and board approval. There’s nothing in size that compares to the NRA which handicaps an independent study, and the existing board is nothing more than a rubber stamp.

Like almost all gun control that NRA has collaborated on, they claim FOPA '86 as a victory: they stopped it from being worse! They removed the "contiguous state" requirement for sales! They got interstate transport!

So, yeah... they won back a tiny bit of ground that they gave away in the first place!

ALERT: 3 NRA Board Members Resign | Buckeye Firearms Association

6:08PM THURSDAY, AUGUST 01, 2019
Buckeye Firearms Association (BFA) has just learned that 3 NRA Board members have resigned, including Sean Maloney (who is a BFA Leader and Board member), our friend Tim Knight in Colorado, and Esther Schneider.

Here is the letter of resignation sent to NRA leadership:

August 1, 2019

President Carolyn Meadows
The National Rifle Association of America
11250 Waples Mill Road
Fairfax, VA 22030

Secretary John Frazier
11250 Waples Mill Road
Fairfax, VA 22030

The National Rifle Association of America Board of Directors
11250 Waples Mill Road
Fairfax, VA 22030

Ladies and Gentlemen:

It is with profound disappointment that each of us hereby tenders our resignation from the Board of Directors of the National Rifle Association, effective immediately.

We proudly agreed to serve as board members of the NRA because of our steadfast belief in the Association’s core mission of protecting the Second Amendment and its leadership’s commitment to serving its members with honesty, integrity and transparency. While our belief in the NRA’s mission remains as strong today as ever, our confidence in the NRA’s leadership has been shattered.

As Board members, we are duty bound to act with care and in the best interests of the NRA and its mission. Proper discharge of that duty compels us to speak up and take action when we become aware of matters within the Association that run counter to its mission, governing principles, policies, or the law. Over the past several months, there have been numerous, highly-publicized allegations of impropriety leveled against the Association and certain members of its executive leadership team. In exercising our oversight responsibilities as Board Members, we have sought information and requested certain actions be taken with respect to these allegations, only to be rebuffed at every turn. We had expected – or at least hoped— that the executive leadership team would recognize the seriousness of these allegations and work with us in a constructive and transparent manner to address our concerns and minimize any further harm to the Association. Instead, we have been stonewalled, accused of disloyalty, stripped of committee assignments and denied effective counsel necessary to properly discharge our responsibilities as Board members.

As a result of the foregoing, we are left with no other choice but to resign as members of the Board of Directors. In doing so, however, we hope that our action will serve as a catalyst for much needed reform within the NRA so that it can return its focus to the mission which we remain unwaveringly committed -- protecting the Constitution of the United States and especially, the Second Amendment.

Sincerely,

Esther Schneider

Sean Maloney

Timothy Knight

We are saddened to see the NRA situation result in more casualties among good men and women who give so much of their time to fight for Second Amendment rights in America. This internal strife has already claimed Chirs Cox, long-time head of the NRA's lobbying arm; Oliver North, recent NRA President; and decade-long board member Pete Brownell.

It is especially distressing because those who hate the NRA and work against gun owner rights will use this moment in history to further attack and divide gun owners, with the goal of pushing for radical restrictions and infringements.

There are many grassroots NRA volunteers and employees who continue to do good work every day, including those with whom we work right here in Ohio. Whatever problems upper level management has, never forget that the vast majority of these people are not the problem.

We can only hope that the NRA can work through this and, in time, become a better and stronger advocate for our rights.

Back
Top Bottom