• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NRA’s Cleans House/downward spiral megathread, Update post 567 NRA Staffer Used $40K in NRA Money to Pay for Family Wedding

You know - third world countries handle stuff like this and get things back on track quicker than we do. Usually it involves ak47s and suicide vests though.

One thing I object to is the use of "coup" to describe what is/has happened in the NRA. It's yet another example of the cheapening of language through hyperbole. Probably half the time a chief exec leaves his position there was some concerted political maneuvering to force it to happen. That doesn't make it a "coup".

I want to know who on the NRA board knew what was going (if any, and I suspect some did) before this all blew up. I doubt we will know. More reason that a complete house cleaning is in order. Drain the swamp!

One thing is for sure, the anti's will see problems in the NRA as a sign of weakness for the entire RKBA movement and it will encourage them in their efforts against us.
They don't need encouragement. As @jpk said, they'll soon wish the NRA was back.

The NRA has always claimed (and been accused of) influence way outside their actual numbers and influence. NRA is just the face for committed gun owners, most of whom don't belong (but might, if not for such shenanigans as we're seeing now).

Whatever the NRA is supposed to be or do, it is clear that the current management has steered the ship into an iceberg. NOBODY should be allowed to remain at the helm after that, whether crook or saint. With a board that large, most of whom probably don't participate, there's no check on the CEO's power. This wasn't a situation that developed overnight, and that lays the blame squarely on La Pierre. Even if La Pierre isn't the callous, self-interested POS he appears to be, there is no way of looking at this that implies he should remain at his post. None.

The NRA is the Jeb Bush of 2A organizations. If it is destroyed and the base with their dollars starts flowing to a more effective group of pro 2A organizations, the left lead by Bloomberg will live to regret it.

They will strike down a sick old man and unleash his young fit sons on a quest for vengeance.

Last edited:
One thing I object to is the use of "coup" to describe what is/has happened in the NRA. It's yet another example of the cheapening of language through hyperbole. Probably half the time a chief exec leaves his position there was some concerted political maneuvering to force it to happen. That doesn't make it a "coup".

I posted a podcast earlier on this thread that's worth a listen- there was definitely a coup.

Here's a timeline of events and a link to the podcast

Second Amendment Foundation
Or the 2nd Ammendment Foundation. They are behind about 80% of the lawsuits brought against municipalities like NYC.
Legal precedence is more important than lobbying, IMO.
And, they're behind Heller and McDonald. The NRA loves to blow the horn and claim they're driving the train, but SAF and Alan Gura have done the heavy lifting.

I understand (and have always understood) that there was an attempt at changing the leadership of the organization. I don't accept that any of it could reasonably be described as an attempted coup d'etat.

Well, like Wayne's unanimous reelection, to the victor goes the spin.

By the way, Wayne didn't win unanimously, it's a technicality under Roberts rules where you can only vote a nominee and there was only one nominee.

To my eyes the NRA issues are indicative of a much larger problem in this country. That is charitable organizations, civil rights groups and other types of non-profit orgs that depend on donations that turn out to be nothing more than wealth creation vehicles for a handful of people at the top who end up living posh lifestyles on the backs of people who in good faith donated money thinking that the money was being put to good use. Sure the organizations deliver tiny little crumbs of hope and makes it sound like they are fighting the good fight, but in the end nothing happens except that the organization will be at the ready when it's time for new membership dollars. This isn't a left or right problem either, it's across the board. I've read article over the years about so many left leaning organizations where CEOs, top management and board members live on very good salaries that are entirely dependent on donations. I suppose I'm happy in a way that the NRA is going through because in the end it should come out a much better organization and hopefully refocused on what matters, not what congressman's dinner party the top brass will get an invitation. Hopefully the NRA twists and fits will become part of a larger dialog regarding how money gets utilized in charitable organizations.

I posted a podcast earlier on this thread that's worth a listen- there was definitely a coup.

Here's a timeline of events and a link to the podcast
Here is a cut and paste of the timeline. We all need to be aware of what ollie tried to do here.....and I think its commendable. Remember......attorney Brewer is related to ack mack royalty. The whole f***ing NRA is a corrupt f***ing joke at this point. Wayne is responsible and should resign.

-Ackerman McQueen and NRA sign deal beginning professional relationship

-Wayne LaPierre becomes NRA CEO and VP of Executive Board

-(April 7)Earliest provided date Wayne LaPierre spends money on clothing through AckMac

-NRA drops retirement program for new employees

-Falls $4.5m short of retirement funding goals

-(November) Wayne LaPierre charges $10k to AckMac for travel

-(May) NRA hires Josh Powell as Chief of Staff

-(May-August) Wayne LaPierre bills AckMac $12,804.84 in rent for Megan Allen

-(Feb 12) Final provided date Wayne LaPierre spends money on clothing through AckMac totals $274,695.03 over 13 years or average of $21,130.39/year

-Josh Powell becomes executive director of general operations

-NRA launches Carry Guard

-(May 7) Oliver North becomes President of NRA after Pete Brownell steps down

-(May) NRA files suit against Lockton after being dropped

-(Sep 13) Judge removes William Brewer from Lockton after misconduct

-(November 15) NRA and Lockton file joint motion to dismiss, and settle out of court

-NRA falls $13.3m short of retirement funding goals

-(Feb 25) North asks General Counsel for Brewer invoices and is told no

-(Feb 26) North, Childress, and Meadows ask LaPierre for access to Brewer invoices and are denied

March 2019

-(March) NRA receives invoice for $19.26M from Brewer for services over previous 12 months

-(March 22) North, Childress, and Meadows ask Audit Committee for outside audit of Brewer invoices – get no response

-(March 31) North contacts LaPierre and requests outside audit of Brewer invoices and is denied

April 2019

-(April 8) North again contacts LaPierre and requests outside audit of Brewer and is again denied

-(April 12) NRA files suit against AckMac using Brewer – BOD are not informed

-(April 17) New Yorker magazine publishes article, alleges misuse of funds and mismanagement

-(April 18) North sends document to Frazer (Secretary and General Counsel) and Cotton (Chairman of Audit Committee) encouraging to reexamine deal with Brewer requests that Audit Committee examine and discuss doc on 28th or BOD on 28th

-(April 22) Ack Mac send letter requesting receipts and documentation for $267,460.53 in travel expenses including previously mentioned travel and apartment

-(April 22) Ack Mac sends letter requesting receipts and documentation for previously mentioned clothing expenses

-(April 22) NRA Board Council Steve Hart takes Ack Mac letters to Audit Committee, is swiftly fired by LaPierre who did not consult board

-(April 25) Oliver North forms Crisis Management Committee to investigate accusations and find outside investigator to review issues with Ack Mac and Brewer

-(April 27) NRA Members are informed at General Meeting that North will not be nominated for second term

-(April 27) Kraut/Prince submit resolution for vote of no confidence in LaPierre, vote fails

-(April 29) LaPierre is re-elected unopposed along with Meadows (pres) Cotton (1st VP) and Lee (2nd VP)

To my eyes the NRA issues are indicative of a much larger problem in this country. That is charitable organizations, civil rights groups and other types of non-profit orgs that depend on donations that turn out to be nothing more than wealth creation vehicles for a handful of people at the top who end up living posh lifestyles on the backs of people who in good faith donated money thinking that the money was being put to good use. Sure the organizations deliver tiny little crumbs of hope and makes it sound like they are fighting the good fight, but in the end nothing happens except that the organization will be at the ready when it's time for new membership dollars. This isn't a left or right problem either, it's across the board. I've read article over the years about so many left leaning organizations where CEOs, top management and board members live on very good salaries that are entirely dependent on donations. I suppose I'm happy in a way that the NRA is going through because in the end it should come out a much better organization and hopefully refocused on what matters, not what congressman's dinner party the top brass will get an invitation. Hopefully the NRA twists and fits will become part of a larger dialog regarding how money gets utilized in charitable organizations.

Now that the cat is out of the bag, there must be some sweating going on.
They have to know that they are one mis-step away from lowering the lifeboats.
The question at this point is will Wayne step aside for the good of the organization or will his ego make him ride it to the ground like Slim Pickens on a nuclear bomb ?
Personally I think he'll see it all burn before he gives it up.
Which makes him a dangerous man.

Now that the cat is out of the bag, there must be some sweating going on.
They have to know that they are one mis-step away from lowering the lifeboats.
The question at this point is will Wayne step aside for the good of the organization or will his ego make him ride it to the ground like Slim Pickens on a nuclear bomb ?
Personally I think he'll see it all burn before he gives it up.
Which makes him a dangerous man.

Great analogy. Someone should be able to paste his face on the video heading towards the NRA headquarters:

I think the only way Wayne leaves is if he bought out in some way. I think that guy is only motivated by money and he needs a way to maintain the lifestyle to which he has grown accustomed.

mail

Dear NRA Instructor,

As many of you may know, we have been evaluating if our investment in NRATV is generating the benefits needed. This consideration included the return on investment and the cost and the direction of the content. Many members expressed concern about the messaging on NRATV becoming too far removed from our core mission: defending the Second Amendment.

So, after careful consideration, I am announcing that starting today, we are undergoing a significant change in our communications strategy. We are no longer airing “live TV” programming. Whether and when we return to “live” programming is a subject of ongoing analysis.

The NRA will continue and improve our service on social media channels and our flagship website, www.nra.org – your trusted resource of information. Our many web sites will continue to showcase new and archived videos, as we reorganize much of this information in a way that better serves our key audiences.

What necessitated the change now is our conclusion that our longtime advertising firm and website vendor failed to deliver upon many contractual obligations it made to our Association. The NRA will always hold our vendors to high standards and ask that they maximize their value to the Association. No exceptions.

Looking ahead, you can expect great things from your NRA. We will energize our messaging strategy, become more cost efficient, and promote the NRA’s singular focus like never before. Simply put, our messaging strategy will advance the NRA’s core mission: to serve our members and fight for our Second Amendment.

– Wayne

National Rifle Association of America • 11250 Waples Mill Rd • Fairfax, VA. 22030

Please do not reply to this e-mail.
Unsubscribe from this email list | Manage your email lists | Contact Us
Thank you

"The NRA must get its act together quickly [and] stop the internal fighting." —Donald Trump"

The Second Amendment v NRA Fratricidal Fire

I agree with both the president and Mark, but where Mark implies, I will be direct. The NRA will be in a death spiral as long as La Pierre remains at the helm. The reason we're in this state is because he's made it all about him, all of it, and it's not supposed to be about him, any of it.

Back
Top Bottom