NRA’s Cleans House/downward spiral megathread, Update post 567 NRA Staffer Used $40K in NRA Money to Pay for Family Wedding

https://pdf.guidestar.org/PDF_Images/2017/042/562/2017-042562763-0fe28164-9O.pdf

https://www.guidestar.org/profile/04-2562763

They're not required to post their financials on their website. No NFP is, but many do in the interest of transparency.

No, they are not. I mentioned this in a separate reply further up. Most do it not for transparency, but to save time and money. To get it, all someone has to do is mail a letter and ask for it. Way easier to just keep it public rather than mail it out to each individual request.

Oh FFS. Just pick up the phone and ask them.

Kinda my point, their only point of contact is a form submission for email on their website.

edit: I did just send them a message detailing why I won't support GOAL till I can see those things though. 1. clear message on website that they are a non profit 2. available financials 3. names of board members/officials on website.

Respectfully, I don't take people I don't know at their word. Wish I could, but being a liar has unfortunately become an expected reality. A person's word used to mean something.

Attachments

• herpy.PNG
    herpy.PNG
    13.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Have you seen Jim??? Think of what his meal allowance costs! ;) And all the free GOAL swag he wears. I mean, he must be making dozens of extra dollars a month off of GOAL. In 300, maybe 400 years he could be a tenthousandaire off of that gig.

(I kid about Jim Wallace. A great guy. I remember when he was "new" to GOAL many moons ago.)

[rofl]

Agreed, it's more of a labor of love for the GOAL team. At a minimum, we should at least support via membership.

Oh FFS. Just pick up the phone and ask them.

Yep, this is a small and very approachable organization. Besides just picking up the phone, they sponsor or at least show up at many firearms related events. If you live in Mass and actually show up to 2A related activities, you will have a chance to meet and greet with someone from GOAL.

Respectfully, I don't take people I don't know at their word. Wish I could, but being a liar has unfortunately become an expected reality. A person's word used to mean something.

Not a bad policy to follow if you don't have the opportunity to directly engage the organization. Regarding GOAL, many NESers know them well or like me are at least acquainted with them and have witnessed firsthand their activities to support 2A in Mass. Requires one to get off the couch / internet, but I think a better way to assess an organization.

Ooh, that was hard:

LMGTFY

I know you intended that to be snarky and funny, but if you checked your own links, none of them have a phone number.... which was my original point. Now if you had actually used google.com, and not that site which exists solely to sell ads, you would have gotten the actual phone number. Which I have used, but again, it isn't on their website.

Not a bad policy to follow if you don't have the opportunity to directly engage the organization. Regarding GOAL, many NESers know them well or like me are at least acquainted with them and have witnessed firsthand their activities to support 2A in Mass. Requires one to get off the couch / internet, but I think a better way to assess an organization.

I understand what you are saying, and they obviously have been active in their support of the 2nd amendment, but I still want to see financials before I write checks. Its just personal principle.

Last edited:
Ooh, that was hard:

LMGTFY

I know you intended that to be snarky and funny, but if you checked your own links, none of them have a phone number.... which was my original point. Now if you had actually used google.com, and not that site which exists solely to sell ads, you would have gotten the actual phone number. Which I have used, but again, it isn't on their website.

I followed his link and got: (508) 393-5333

GOAL Phone Numbers - GOAL.ORG

Looks like they try to keep the phone numbers to actual paid members.

Maybe they do not want to keep answering non-members who demand information.

Their personal preference I suppose.

I followed his link and got: (508) 393-5333

GOAL Phone Numbers - GOAL.ORG

Looks like they try to keep the phone numbers to actual paid members.

Maybe they do not want to keep answering non-members who demand information.

Their personal preference I suppose.

You two may run different browsers than myself, but this is what i get, first one from lmgtfy, and the second from google itself.
goal.PNG goal2.PNG

Not answering questions and inquiries from non-paying members is a good way to keep them as non-paying members.

From a NYT's story on posted on HOTAIR.com.
"
President Trump spent at least 30 minutes on the phone Tuesday with Wayne LaPierre, the chief executive of the National Rifle Association, the latest conversation in an aggressive campaign by gun rights advocates to influence the White House in the weeks since the back-to-back mass shootings in Texas and Ohio.

The call ended the way that Mr. LaPierre had hoped it would: with Mr. Trump espousing N.R.A. talking points in the Oval Office and warning of the radical steps he said Democrats wanted to take in violation of the Second Amendment…

Mr. Trump — who did most of the talking on the call with Mr. LaPierre, according to those briefed on the conversation — made it clear that he believes there are ways to scrutinize people’s fitness for gun ownership other than the current proposals. But his latest comments on guns were the strongest sign to date that he is unlikely to make bipartisan gun legislation a priority this fall, when Congress returns from its summer recess. Without his backing, congressional Republicans said, any chance of a bipartisan bill passing the Senate is likely to be dead on arrival."

Not answering questions and inquiries from non-paying members is a good way to keep them as non-paying members.

There are people in this world who feel that they are DUE personal and immediate answers to ALL of their questions. So be it.

If you cannot get enough information about GOAL from the members of this forum (some of whom are GOAL Board members and, I believe, employees) why should we believe that you would automatically become a dues paying GOAL supporting member by the GOAL staff leaping to answer your questions?

Methinks your position is a bit thin on reason but a little thick on lack of personal attention to you.

But, hey. That's just my personal opinion. I could be wrong. I doubt it, but it's possible.

Have a nice day now.

not to state the obvious, but as a non member, they don't owe you shit.

They don't owe me anything. Nor I them. That's perfectly reasonable. [edit: probably shouldn't DOXX people who go out of their way to not publicize their location. Probably should have PM'd me that.]

There are people in this world who feel that they are DUE personal and immediate answers to ALL of their questions. So be it.

If you cannot get enough information about GOAL from the members of this forum (some of whom are GOAL Board members and, I believe, employees) why should we believe that you would automatically become a dues paying GOAL supporting member by the GOAL staff leaping to answer your questions?

Methinks your position is a bit thin on reason but a little thick on lack of personal attention to you.

But, hey. That's just my personal opinion. I could be wrong. I doubt it, but it's possible.

Have a nice day now.

I just got off the phone with Jim, seems like a reasonable and good person. He told me they don't publish on their website the people who are on their board for security reasons. Fair enough. World is nuts right now to say the least. They also said they don't publish their books because people use it as ammunition against them, but I was welcome to stop in and he would show them to me. Also fair enough, but all of this is missing the point I keep trying to get across.

From what I can tell from posts here, the new goal of GOAL was transparency. I'm not seeing transparency. Anyone who is like me, and makes it a requirement before a wallet gets opened is not going to take the time to talk about, or call them, or email them. They are going to just keep on keepin' on. and not give GOAL another thought. And maybe even then, yeah, I wouldn't become a GOAL member. But what about everyone else in MA who owns guns and has the same or similar requirements as me?
[edit 2 : I'm not in the minority. Importance Of Transparency]

Oh well. I don't expect one opinion to change Jim's mind. And that's ok. But I'm a 'show me' guy.

Last edited:
rznJQ9T.jpg

:emoji_tiger:

Many years ago I worked for AT&T in an Autovon underground communications center that provided communications for the B 52's stationed at Westover. Our circuit engineers were in DC and I soon learned to deal with them in the morning as they were not much help after lunch as apparently their lunch was Bloody Mary's. From that and other connections, it was apparent that the DC area did things much different than teh rest of the nation. That gives much more explanation to the comment of the now NRA President who said, "Thats the way things are done in in DC." I have no doubt that she is correct and La Pierre and company were profiting off of that way of doing things.That does not make it right, especially for a member based organization ssuch as the NRA was meant to be.

To the guys giving me a hard time over asking questions, I apologize, because I know there aren't many organizations willing to swing hard for 2A issues anymore. Please understand my skepticism, I am a child of the internet age.

Someone was kind enough to talk to me and explain what is what on GOAL's itemized tax return, and while my thoughts are admittedly not worth diddly on the matter, I have no reservations about supporting GOAL now.

I still stand on my opinion more transparency with these things are always better.

I'm also glad my concerns spurred on more donations to go to GOAL, as it does seem to be the right place to send money to.

Soon you guys should be seeing an NES Member tag on me and I'll have a GOAL card. Might even print and laminate it myself.

oh, and @CatSnoutSoup .... only on the tip ;)

Back
Top Bottom