• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NRA’s Cleans House/downward spiral megathread, Update post 567 NRA Staffer Used $40K in NRA Money to Pay for Family Wedding

Tiny splinter and state groups have been far more effective in the past decade or so, and it's undeniable.
Seriously. Who ever heard of Alan Gura or SAF, until NRA tried to kill their case that eventually became Heller v. D.C.? And Heller begat McDonald, all while NRA was screaming to pump the brakes and let them drive.

After both cases were over, NRA bragged that it was all their doing.

Is the wardrobe NRA property? If not, then it is compensation to Wayne and should be accounted for accordingly. Assuming we are talking about suits, the purchase of non-uniform clothing items that are fit to wear outside of work are not tax deductible even if the wearing of these clothing items is required for the performance of your job.
The work-around is to give the employee a tax gross-up, which is very common for C suite level executives when they indulge in benefits like personal use of one of the corporate jets.

The fun thing is though, is that nobody would care if they set cash on fire if they were actually effective, we would turn a blind eye
to it and not care. The problem is they're setting cash on fire and being woefully ineffective. Tiny splinter and state groups have been far more effective in the past decade or so, and it's undeniable.

-Mike

Are you suggesting that this wasn't a good use of funds?

Dmw1QMfWsAAdD9L.jpg

SCOTUS is bush league. NRA is too busy doing hot takes on children's television and buying Wayne a bachelor pad.

Dmw1QMfWsAAdD9L.jpg

SCOTUS is bush league. NRA is too busy doing hot takes on children's television and buying Wayne a bachelor pad.

Nice touch. Your post is a classic example of fake news. Textbook actually. See you take a high impact sliver of truth and display it for shock value. Total dismissal of the actual message. Many see the image and take it at face value. Easy win. But is not the truth.

Now put the the Kenyan train up along with the statement of political posturing from the production company then we got some real news. And then your tall tale of social injustice runs out of track...

Dmw1QMfWsAAdD9L.jpg

Yes, that kind of horseshit, exactly. and a whole bunch of other things, like basically jerking off the MSM after parkland with those stupid "town hall "
events, where they basically set themselves up to be assassinated on TV in a put up job with a live audience mostly full of antis and a weak ass RINO like Rubio supposedly helping. Like what kind or birdbrain thinks that allowing the enemy to set the terms and venue like that was ever a good
idea? At least demand a neutral forum, for f***s sake. It would be like being a professional boxer and your opponent has exclusive domain over choosing the judges responsible for scoring... it's just weaksauce mistakes like that, that end up with the NRA's actions basically punching us squarely in the dick.

-Mike

Met a guy at the LGS the other day, who is member at a club with a nice 300 yard range. He said there was no waiting list and had my attention right away, as the club is only 25 minutes away from my house. But... NRA membership is mandatory. I told him that was a deal breaker in a major way. He told me the club gets that a lot, lately.

Met a guy at the LGS the other day, who is member at a club with a nice 300 yard range. He said there was no waiting list and had my attention right away, as the club is only 25 minutes away from my house. But... NRA membership is mandatory. I told him that was a deal breaker in a major way. He told me the club gets that a lot, lately.

Name of range - MWSA?

Last edited:
Even if LaPierre remains at the NRA for the time being, we need NRA members now more than ever. They are the only gun organization that Congress is afraid of, so they're the most effective organization. Dropping your NRA memberships is precisely what the antis want. LaPierre will be gone eventually. We all just need to stay the course and remain NRA members.

Don't count on it. Without the lobbying force the NRA is, there will be no defenses against a crazy Congress. Love SAF & GOA but let's be serious they are no where no how anything near the potency of the NRA. That force, those relationships take years to build and will take years to recreate if the NRA crumbles. This is really bad and needs to get corrected pronto

I just made sure all my memberships were up to date or got a bump - NRA, GOA, SAF... and of course our own GOAL and Comm2A. Yeah, I know a lot of people don't like everything they do (or don't do). And of course, I completely agree that the NRA has definite shortcomings. However, they also do good work and there is legitimate power in having multiple pro 2A organizations that can go in saying they have X million members. In the grand scheme of things is it ultimately chump change to at least minimally add to that lobbying power. I waste way more money on much stupiderer stuff all the time.

Last edited:
Even if LaPierre remains at the NRA for the time being, we need NRA members now more than ever. They are the only gun organization that Congress is afraid of, so they're the most effective organization. Dropping your NRA memberships is precisely what the antis want. LaPierre will be gone eventually. We all just need to stay the course and remain NRA members.

I agree don't throw the baby out with the bath water, but contact the board and tell them Wayne must go and transparency must be the order going forward. Most effective might be trying to leverage change with those donations extra to membership, "Yeah I am a member but I am not giving you any extra dough till Wayne is gone".

But also join Gun Owners of America | The only no compromise gun lobby in Washington
and support their aggressive communication campaigns.

At the end of the day any group is only as effective as it member's participation.
A pro gun lobbyist visiting a congressman's office doesn't amount to dick if it isn't accompanied by a fist full of letters, or a switchboard loaded with calls, no matter what acronym NRA, GOA, GOAL, NSSF.

So I take a few minutes a week, pick a target, and phone or send an actual letter, if they are in state or out of state, pro or anti, I do not care.
Maybe I am wasting my time, but it only takes a few minutes a week and I really do feel there is an urgent need to be heard.

:emoji_tiger:

but contact the board and tell them Wayne must go
Really think you are going to find a board member willing to give up all committee assignments and be denied permission to win a seat in the next so-called election? You only keep the "nominating committee" endorsement by agreeing to go along to get along.

Really think you are going to find a board member willing to give up all committee assignments and be denied permission to win a seat in the next so-called election? You only keep the "nominating committee" endorsement by agreeing to go along to get along.

Why a quote without reference? Anyway.

Rob thanks for your input, in truth I do not "think" I am in a position to do anything except the next right thing as I see it.

That is what I am doing when I send my dough to Comm2A, GOAL, etc., and that is what I am doing when I speak up via calls and letters, the next right thing as I see it.

I will be happy to follow a plan of increased effectiveness when someone presents it.

:emoji_tiger:

Just got a call from a paid-telemarketer to contribute to the NRA.

I refused her pitch and explained in a gentlemanly but firm way why I was not giving due to the leadership crisis at the NRA. I also made it clear that I hoped that she would report this and that it would get back to the NRA. She was very quiet (I am polite) and acknowledged what I was saying.

I still support the NRA in other ways because I believe like Clumber32 that we still need the NRA on the national level to fight for us.

There is NO other organization which supports the shooting sports like the NRA. Competitions, education and training, advocacy. Does anyone else cover all this?

There is NO other Organization that strikes fear and hatred in liberals like the NRA which is why I still support them. If they imploded the left would be giddy and it would be a major political loss for us. They need to clean house and right the ship..

NRA has lost all credibility due to the dysfunctional leadership. Anti-gun law proposals are everywhere. Dems have no fear of NRA. Even Republicans are conceding some ground.
I am not going to support any organization that buys the CEO a $6.5 mil mansion and buys him $.5 mil worth of clothing. It has already imploded and LaPierre will ride it down to the last dollar.

There is NO other Organization that strikes fear and hatred in liberals like the NRA which is why I still support them. If they imploded the left would be giddy and it would be a major political loss for us. They need to clean house and right the ship..
They don't strike fear. They're just a useful boogieman.

They're already imploded.

NRA has lost all credibility due to the dysfunctional leadership. Anti-gun law proposals are everywhere. Dems have no fear of NRA. Even Republicans are conceding some ground.
I am not going to support any organization that buys the CEO a $6.5 mil mansion and buys him $.5 mil worth of clothing. It has already imploded and LaPierre will ride it down to the last dollar.

Jaysus, wtf happened to the NRA???
And how the heck do we get lapierre's ass canned.

Every dollar given to the NRA is a dollar not given to an organization that isn't wasting money by enriching grifters. Every dollar that improperly ends up in Wayne's pocket is a dollar not spent advancing the stated goals of the NRA.

Just got a call from a paid-telemarketer to contribute to the NRA.

I refused her pitch and explained in a gentlemanly but firm way why I was not giving due to the leadership crisis at the NRA. I also made it clear that I hoped that she would report this and that it would get back to the NRA. She was very quiet (I am polite) and acknowledged what I was saying.

I still support the NRA in other ways because I believe like Clumber32 that we still need the NRA on the national level to fight for us.

There is NO other organization which supports the shooting sports like the NRA. Competitions, education and training, advocacy. Does anyone else cover all this?

I got the same call, and provided the same commentary.

You know the mansion wasn't purchased, and you know it was another business that was buying it as an investment....the far more egregious thing was the 97k a day in 'legal bills'

Every dollar given to the NRA is a dollar not given to an organization that isn't wasting money by enriching grifters. Every dollar that improperly ends up in Wayne's pocket is a dollar not spent advancing the stated goals of the NRA.
Then why do liberals heads explode when you mention the NRA? ask them about the GOA or SAF and you'll see a blank stare. I belong to all 3, Life member in NRA but donate money to GOA and SAF.

NRA Spent Tens of Thousands on Hair and Makeup for CEO’s Wife

he NRA spent tens of thousands of dollars bringing hair and makeup artists around the country for the wife of its CEO, two sources told The Daily Beast. The expenses–which included plane flights and luxury hotel stays for the stylists–are bound to fuel an already-raging debate over what some see as a spendthrift culture in the NRA’s upper echelons. The NRA, meanwhile, called it a “non-story,” and said their ex-ad firm was responsible for any such expenses.

Susan LaPierre, the wife of longtime NRA chief Wayne LaPierre, is one of the gun organization’s many public faces, and co-chairs its Women’s Leadership Forum. She often speaks at that group’s annual gatherings for female NRA supporters. And for years now, the NRA has paid for a makeup artist and a hair stylist, both based in Nashville and plugged in to the country music scene, to do LaPierre’s hair and make-up at events around the country, according to two sources familiar with the arrangements.

The NRA Women’s Leadership Forum hosts many of its events in major metropolitan areas where local hair and makeup talent abounds. But because of LaPierre’s preference for the Nashville artists, the gun group has paid a premium to fly them around the country, and put them up in style.

That may be changing, though, as those expenditures have raised eyebrows within the NRA. According to one of the sources, the stylists were booked to provide hair and makeup services for LaPierre at its member gathering in Indianapolis this past April. But as media reports emerged with allegations of extravagant spending by the gun group, NRA officials worried the Nashville stylists’ presence could attract scrutiny. So they canceled on them at the last minute. Because the cancellation came so late, the NRA still had to pay their fees.

An NRA spokesperson alleged this reporting was orchestrated by the group’s former public relations firm, which it is suing. That firm, Ackerman McQueen, worked with the NRA for more than three decades. It handled payments for many expenses related to the NRA’s public relations–expenses the NRA ultimately picked up.

“This is the latest example of the smear campaign orchestrated to damage those close to the NRA,” said Andrew Arulanandam, the NRA’s managing director of public affairs. “In this instance, our former vendor shamelessly targets the wife of the Association’s CEO. Once again, Ackerman McQueen attempts to mislead by suggesting that Ms. LaPierre had responsibility for actions taken by the agency.”

“Ms. LaPierre and other senior members of the NRA fundraising team participate in TV interviews, nationally-televised speeches, and videos used to raise millions of dollars annually. Hair and make-up services might be used in those instances–coordinated, directed, and paid for by Ackerman. This is another non-story with facts presented out of context–an act of desperation being fueled by the same group of people who attempted to extort Wayne LaPierre and the Association.”

A spokesperson for the ad firm directed The Daily Beast to prior statements saying all of Ackerman’s payments were made at the NRA’s direction.

The expenditures, which have not been previously reported, will frustrate some NRA members who say the group’s leadership spends donor funds irresponsibly.

“If all of these allegations are true, they are one more example of the climate of living life large on the donations of members,” said Steve Hoback, an NRA member and former NRA staffer who has criticized its leadership. “And they in no way add to the core mission of the NRA, which is the development and conduct of firearms safety and education courses and defense of Second Amendment rights. There’s no way that a bouffant ‘do and glittery eyeshadow is going to protect anyone’s Second Amendment rights.”

Over the last several weeks, scrutiny of the NRA’s financial decisions has intensified. Earlier this month, The Wall Street Journal reported that the group considered spending more than $5 million to buy a mansion on a golf course in Dallas, Texas, for the LaPierres. The talks came last year after the Parkland shooting when the NRA CEO had concerns about his safety, according to the Journal, but the NRA did not ultimately buy the house.

The association has also drawn criticism for spending almost $275,000 over 13 years on designer clothing for Wayne LaPierre. It also spent nearly $100,000 in 2012 on his travel, including trips to Palm Beach and the Bahamas, and stays at the Budapest Four Seasons and a five-star resort on Lake Como in Italy. The revelations came from a leaked document posted online anonymously. The NRA has defended the spending, saying its CEO needs to maintain a well-groomed public profile and that he raised money for the group on his trips. But LaPierre does not enjoy unanimous support: Col. Allen West, a member of the NRA board and grassroots favorite, called for his resignation after the news broke and said the spending was “despicable.”

The NRA’s finances have drawn intense public scrutiny over the last year as its expenses have ballooned. The group is embroiled in a host of legal tangles, including multiple congressional investigations, multiple probes from state attorneys general, and high-stakes litigation with the governor of New York. It is also suing—and, simultaneously being sued by—its former public relations firm, Ackerman McQueen. Tens of millions of dollars could be at stake in those lawsuits.

Unsurprisingly, the NRA has amassed hefty legal bills. Its estranged ex-president Oliver North estimated the gun group’s outside law firm was charging it upwards of $100,000 a day and has said the fees threaten the group’s very existence. The NRA board and senior leadership, meanwhile, have disputed North’s estimates and defended the law firm’s work.

At the same time, the group has lost some of its top political talent. Earlier this year, its longtime lobbying chief Chris Cox resigned. Cox, who pushed the group to spend big to support Trump’s campaign in the 2016 election, had the president’s trust, as well as a fat Rolodex of Republican members of Congress. Together, LaPierre and Cox dissuaded Trump from pushing for tougher gun laws after the Parkland massacre. It remains to be seen if the association will maintain its effectiveness in his absence.

The suits, vacations, apartments for the hussy, and now this. If this isn’t the definition of private inurement, then I don’t know what is. That’s the number one thing you don’t mess around with if you’re tax-exempt. If this was a Democrat-picked IRS head, their tax-exempt status would be toast and they’d revert to a for-profit organization subject to income tax.

Even if AckMack was the one that paid the bill, you know they billed the NRA for it.

Back
Top Bottom