• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NRA’s Cleans House/downward spiral megathread, Update post 567 NRA Staffer Used $40K in NRA Money to Pay for Family Wedding

NRA Spent Tens of Thousands on Hair and Makeup for CEO’s Wife

he NRA spent tens of thousands of dollars bringing hair and makeup artists around the country for the wife of its CEO, two sources told The Daily Beast. The expenses–which included plane flights and luxury hotel stays for the stylists–are bound to fuel an already-raging debate over what some see as a spendthrift culture in the NRA’s upper echelons. The NRA, meanwhile, called it a “non-story,” and said their ex-ad firm was responsible for any such expenses.

Susan LaPierre, the wife of longtime NRA chief Wayne LaPierre, is one of the gun organization’s many public faces, and co-chairs its Women’s Leadership Forum. She often speaks at that group’s annual gatherings for female NRA supporters. And for years now, the NRA has paid for a makeup artist and a hair stylist, both based in Nashville and plugged in to the country music scene, to do LaPierre’s hair and make-up at events around the country, according to two sources familiar with the arrangements.

The NRA Women’s Leadership Forum hosts many of its events in major metropolitan areas where local hair and makeup talent abounds. But because of LaPierre’s preference for the Nashville artists, the gun group has paid a premium to fly them around the country, and put them up in style.

That may be changing, though, as those expenditures have raised eyebrows within the NRA. According to one of the sources, the stylists were booked to provide hair and makeup services for LaPierre at its member gathering in Indianapolis this past April. But as media reports emerged with allegations of extravagant spending by the gun group, NRA officials worried the Nashville stylists’ presence could attract scrutiny. So they canceled on them at the last minute. Because the cancellation came so late, the NRA still had to pay their fees.

An NRA spokesperson alleged this reporting was orchestrated by the group’s former public relations firm, which it is suing. That firm, Ackerman McQueen, worked with the NRA for more than three decades. It handled payments for many expenses related to the NRA’s public relations–expenses the NRA ultimately picked up.

“This is the latest example of the smear campaign orchestrated to damage those close to the NRA,” said Andrew Arulanandam, the NRA’s managing director of public affairs. “In this instance, our former vendor shamelessly targets the wife of the Association’s CEO. Once again, Ackerman McQueen attempts to mislead by suggesting that Ms. LaPierre had responsibility for actions taken by the agency.”

“Ms. LaPierre and other senior members of the NRA fundraising team participate in TV interviews, nationally-televised speeches, and videos used to raise millions of dollars annually. Hair and make-up services might be used in those instances–coordinated, directed, and paid for by Ackerman. This is another non-story with facts presented out of context–an act of desperation being fueled by the same group of people who attempted to extort Wayne LaPierre and the Association.”

A spokesperson for the ad firm directed The Daily Beast to prior statements saying all of Ackerman’s payments were made at the NRA’s direction.

The expenditures, which have not been previously reported, will frustrate some NRA members who say the group’s leadership spends donor funds irresponsibly.

“If all of these allegations are true, they are one more example of the climate of living life large on the donations of members,” said Steve Hoback, an NRA member and former NRA staffer who has criticized its leadership. “And they in no way add to the core mission of the NRA, which is the development and conduct of firearms safety and education courses and defense of Second Amendment rights. There’s no way that a bouffant ‘do and glittery eyeshadow is going to protect anyone’s Second Amendment rights.”

Over the last several weeks, scrutiny of the NRA’s financial decisions has intensified. Earlier this month, The Wall Street Journal reported that the group considered spending more than $5 million to buy a mansion on a golf course in Dallas, Texas, for the LaPierres. The talks came last year after the Parkland shooting when the NRA CEO had concerns about his safety, according to the Journal, but the NRA did not ultimately buy the house.

The association has also drawn criticism for spending almost $275,000 over 13 years on designer clothing for Wayne LaPierre. It also spent nearly $100,000 in 2012 on his travel, including trips to Palm Beach and the Bahamas, and stays at the Budapest Four Seasons and a five-star resort on Lake Como in Italy. The revelations came from a leaked document posted online anonymously. The NRA has defended the spending, saying its CEO needs to maintain a well-groomed public profile and that he raised money for the group on his trips. But LaPierre does not enjoy unanimous support: Col. Allen West, a member of the NRA board and grassroots favorite, called for his resignation after the news broke and said the spending was “despicable.”

The NRA’s finances have drawn intense public scrutiny over the last year as its expenses have ballooned. The group is embroiled in a host of legal tangles, including multiple congressional investigations, multiple probes from state attorneys general, and high-stakes litigation with the governor of New York. It is also suing—and, simultaneously being sued by—its former public relations firm, Ackerman McQueen. Tens of millions of dollars could be at stake in those lawsuits.

Unsurprisingly, the NRA has amassed hefty legal bills. Its estranged ex-president Oliver North estimated the gun group’s outside law firm was charging it upwards of $100,000 a day and has said the fees threaten the group’s very existence. The NRA board and senior leadership, meanwhile, have disputed North’s estimates and defended the law firm’s work.

At the same time, the group has lost some of its top political talent. Earlier this year, its longtime lobbying chief Chris Cox resigned. Cox, who pushed the group to spend big to support Trump’s campaign in the 2016 election, had the president’s trust, as well as a fat Rolodex of Republican members of Congress. Together, LaPierre and Cox dissuaded Trump from pushing for tougher gun laws after the Parkland massacre. It remains to be seen if the association will maintain its effectiveness in his absence.

Damn, it's as if Wayno was a plant to destroy the NRA. I know he's just a self-serving POS, but damn...

As I said in another thread, Wayne would quit if he cared about the NRA's mission and purpose, but he's in it for Wayne. Same withe board. The board needs to shrink (say to 9 or 11 members) and be replaced with those who care about the mission of the NRA. Anti's are cheering for it's collapse and it will happen if Wayne and the board continue.
It seems Susan LaPierre is OK with the flamingo girl in the pool (and the money to support her) as long as she continues to get her hair and make up done.
I don't know what it would take to get the NRA back on course, but I'm up for it.

As I said in another thread, Wayne would quit if he cared about the NRA's mission and purpose, but he's in it for Wayne. Same withe board. The board needs to shrink (say to 9 or 11 members) and be replaced with those who care about the mission of the NRA. Anti's are cheering for it's collapse and it will happen if Wayne and the board continue.
It seems Susan LaPierre is OK with the flamingo girl in the pool (and the money to support her) as long as she continues to get her hair and make up done.
I don't know what it would take to get the NRA back on course, but I'm up for it.
Many years ago now, our local community hospital started to tank: they had canned their CEO and brought in a new guy, under whose leadership they started doing all kinds of stupid crap, the epitome of which was running their own HMO (which DID tank). This was only set right by a corporators'* revolt: they jettisoned the board, got the old CEO back, and got the ship righted.

* Members of the corporation (typically nominated among notable members of the community), who usually don't do much beyond meeting once a year to vote in the board.

Has anyone studied the bylaws for any means by the members to call an emergency meeting of the corporation?

Many years ago now, our local community hospital started to tank: they had canned their CEO and brought in a new guy, under whose leadership they started doing all kinds of stupid crap, the epitome of which was running their own HMO (which DID tank). This was only set right by a corporators'* revolt: they jettisoned the board, got the old CEO back, and got the ship righted.

* Members of the corporation (typically nominated among notable members of the community), who usually don't do much beyond meeting once a year to vote in the board.

Has anyone studied the bylaws for any means by the members to call an emergency meeting of the corporation?

For the NRA? I haven’t, but they have to make them available and they may be on the NY AG’s office website. Worst comes to worst, put in a FOIA request or ask for their Form 1024, of which the articles of incorporation, by-laws, and other governing documents are a required attachment.

Or they may have them on their website.

For the NRA? I haven’t, but they have to make them available and they may be on the NY AG’s office website. Worst comes to worst, put in a FOIA request or ask for their Form 1024, of which the articles of incorporation, by-laws, and other governing documents are a required attachment.

Or they may have them on their website.
No obvious link on the site (that I've been able to find with a cursory search).

As a life member, I've just requested a copy. Let's see what the response is.

...and here we are, almost a day later. No response. I still cannot find anything current online. Every other non-profit organization I've known posts its bylaws on its website.

...and here we are, almost a day later. No response. I still cannot find anything current online. Every other non-profit organization I've known posts its bylaws on its website.

You may have to do a formal FOIA request, and specifically state you’re making the request under FOIA. I’ll try to look for the specific code section at some point tomorrow, but am buried at work right now and can barely see straight.

CAv7F8fUMAEYm0i.png

definitely guilty w/o makeup and a hair job

NRA Board of Directors Exodus Accelerates - The Truth About Guns

Earlier today we reported that National Rifle Association board member Richard Childress, a former NRA first vice president, had resigned. Now CNN is reporting the departure of two more board members.

Country music singer and NRA board member Craig Morgan has resigned, sources with knowledge of the matter tell CNN, and NASCAR team owner Richard Childress stepped down on Monday. David Lehman, the deputy executive director and general counsel at the NRA’s Institute for Legislative Action, also is leaving the organization, the sources tell CNN.

Both Morgan and Childress were prominent public faces for the NRA. Morgan appeared frequently on the group’s now-defunct streaming video service NRATV and even hosted his own program on the network. Lehman was the deputy to then executive director Chris Cox, who resigned in June and was also the NRA’s top lobbyist. Lehman was filling the role of top lobbyist when he departed the organization.

This is another significant loss for the Institute for Legislative Action, the NRA’s lobbying arm. In recent weeks the NRA-ILA has lost its executive director, Chris Cox, a top Cox deputy, Scott Christman, the NRA-ILA’s director of pubic affairs, Jennifer Baker, and now Lehman, the ILA’s deputy executive director and interim head.

And all this heading into election season.

TTAG spoke to David Dell’Aquila whose Grassroots organization is working to bring about the removal of NRA EVP and CEO Wayne LaPierre over the mounting allegations of overspending and financial mismanagement.

Dell’Aquila said . . .

It’s a shame that it’s come to this. Our only interest is in making the NRA stronger and more accountable to its members and core mission of protecting Second Amendment rights. The departure of eight board members in just a few weeks is an indication of the depth of the problems facing the NRA.

I was given some NRA stickers when I completed my class. I'm glad I read this thread thoroughly before I had the shame of affixing them to my car.

I'll be watching GOAL as well. Not sure if they will end up on my car either.

I was given some NRA stickers when I completed my class. I'm glad I read this thread thoroughly before I had the shame of affixing them to my car.

I'll be watching GOAL as well. Not sure if they will end up on my car either.

Yeah- those guys from GOAL are getting CRAZY rich!!! Have you seen the yachts, Bentleys, and helicopters their executives all bought themselves? Also, the only Maybach in Massachusetts is owned by a GOAL executive. It's too bad the Victoria's Secret fashion show is 'off' for this year. If you wanted to see what the GOAL officers look like, just watch for the non-celebrity guys in the front row of the show. One of them is dating Adriana Lima. At least they are nice guys- I usually bump into them at the Cannes Film Festival or Coachella and have had some nice conversations.

Yeah- those guys from GOAL are getting CRAZY rich!!! Have you seen the yachts, Bentleys, and helicopters their executives all bought themselves? Also, the only Maybach in Massachusetts is owned by a GOAL executive. It's too bad the Victoria's Secret fashion show is 'off' for this year. If you wanted to see what the GOAL officers look like, just watch for the non-celebrity guys in the front row of the show. One of them is dating Adriana Lima. At least they are nice guys- I usually bump into them at the Cannes Film Festival or Coachella and have had some nice conversations.

I'm not saying I think they are like the NRA. I AM saying I have not known of them for long enough to have a solid grasp on what they can or will do.

GOAL doesn't give much info on their website. Are they a non-profit? If so, where's their financial statement on their website? To find out who are the officials and board members I had to thumb through their page to see a .pdf of their monthly newletter. I have to be a member to get phone numbers to call them? hard pass. Need a lot more transparency before I open my wallet.

Wasn't GOAL the one paying a fortune to some lame newsletter owned by family of a board member? Apparently even when there isn't much money to steal, someone will find a way. NRA is the same on a grander scale.

Yes, GOAL is a non-profit.

A non profit asking for donations or selling merch on nearly every page on their website and 0 public financials. They don't have to, to be fair. But that is one of the things a charity or non-profit has to do before I open my wallet. Mostly because I have a strict 90% cutoff - if they waste more than 10% in admin costs and payroll, I take a hard pass.

I'm not saying I think they are like the NRA. I AM saying I have not known of them for long enough to have a solid grasp on what they can or will do.

GOAL doesn't give much info on their website. Are they a non-profit? If so, where's their financial statement on their website? To find out who are the officials and board members I had to thumb through their page to see a .pdf of their monthly newletter. I have to be a member to get phone numbers to call them? hard pass. Need a lot more transparency before I open my wallet.

you weren't around for the house cleaning at Goal, in which prominent members of NES took part, myself being one of them.
The organization is rock solid, leading the state in securing gun rights. Eddie Coyle is the present President of the organization.

Even if LaPierre remains at the NRA for the time being, we need NRA members now more than ever. They are the only gun organization that Congress is afraid of, so they're the most effective organization. Dropping your NRA memberships is precisely what the antis want. LaPierre will be gone eventually. We all just need to stay the course and remain NRA members.

Shut up. Scorched earth or nothing. If someone pisses me off, I'm going to sit in the corner and do nothing. NOTHING I TELL YOU! That way, somehow, my overall beliefs and agenda can be properly put forth. By me in the corner and my former organization that has less members. It's my master plan.

Have you seen Jim??? Think of what his meal allowance costs! ;) And all the free GOAL swag he wears. I mean, he must be making dozens of extra dollars a month off of GOAL. In 300, maybe 400 years he could be a tenthousandaire off of that gig.

(I kid about Jim Wallace. A great guy. I remember when he was "new" to GOAL many moons ago.)

Wasn't GOAL the one paying a fortune to some lame newsletter owned by family of a board member? Apparently even when there isn't much money to steal, someone will find a way. NRA is the same on a grander scale.

And that resulted in Mike Yacino and his family being excised completely from GOAL. GOAL’s house has been entirely cleaned as a result of that mess.

A non profit asking for donations or selling merch on nearly every page on their website and 0 public financials. They don't have to, to be fair. But that is one of the things a charity or non-profit has to do before I open my wallet. Mostly because I have a strict 90% cutoff - if they waste more than 10% in admin costs and payroll, I take a hard pass.

Oh FFS. Just pick up the phone and ask them.

https://pdf.guidestar.org/PDF_Images/2017/042/562/2017-042562763-0fe28164-9O.pdf

https://www.guidestar.org/profile/04-2562763

They're not required to post their financials on their website. No NFP is, but many do in the interest of transparency.

Back
Top Bottom