• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NPR: Armed America

i cannot bring myself to listen to NPR. something about their voices. i just imagine some wannabe academic with a turtle neck and scarf trying to sound intelligent. vomit.

i cannot bring myself to listen to NPR. something about their voices.
This!!! I don't mind what they say (it tends to be pretty neutral actually) but there's just something about how they talk that bugs me. It really is "academic" and emotionless. I mostly listen to WRKO and WBZ instead.

i cannot bring myself to listen to NPR. something about their voices. i just imagine some wannabe academic with a turtle neck and scarf trying to sound intelligent. vomit.

I have never even dialed it in to find out if the voices are irritating. [laugh]

Yes. Plus they seem incapable of filtering our the sound of spit. So gross.

I think Tom Ashbrook's show is one of the best on the radio. While these arent his, Ill take a listen when I finish this fricken memo.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

They also hire announcers with profound speech impediments as a form of affirmative action

Used to listen to NPR decades ago before I woke up. Now I just want to punch the radio if I ever hear those simpering feminist voices.

They also hire announcers with profound speech impediments as a form of affirmative action

NHPR used to have an announcer that stammered on almost every word...It was so awkward listening to him. It was compounded by the fact that I used to stutter and stammer up a storm (I still do sometimes) and I couldn't imagine getting on the air so thousands of listeners would be cringing at every word. He use to come on during their fundraiser mem-mem-mem-membership dr-dr-dr-dr-drives.

I can't stand their music, or their liberal sounding voices and demeanor. Not to mention the fact that I have to pay for these layabouts to pretend to be important to themselves and their 'peers'.

First comment on the carry story is from an anti, who of course equates guns and penis. What is it with antis and the sexual innuendo? So predictable and lame. I almost feel sorry for them.

I listen to NPR all the time. I cringe at both their technology and firearms stories. They tend to not know much about what they are talking about, and tend to mix opinion in as well.

Come on guys. some of there stuff both funny ( wwdtm, car talk and up here the prarie thing ) and informative. bottom line I think is that they at least devote more than 30 seconds to a story and most often (not always) tell both sides. Do they lean a little left? Of course they do. but consider the optional sound bites or selected quotes from the globe or wcvb. I kind of like to listen to all opinions before making my decision. If you can't tolerate other opinions and reasonable discussion then we are totally F****d

Bostons station WBUR seems to ironically be one of the least bias ones. When I was in Western MA and we got the one from NY they often didn't even try.

Also I find onpoint to be very fair and usually cover pretty interesting topics. Also radiolab is phenominal, I think thats out of WNYC.

And to think some of you guys honestly prefer michelle mcphee...

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

I listened to the audio of the first installment earlier this week. The text appears to be abridged. The audio of the first installment was surprisingly less biased than every other gun-related story they have done previously. Without giving the expected heartfelt lament of the fact people are allowed to own guns in the first place, Burnett reports on signing up for and taking the TX CHL course. Nor does he equate carry with child murder--a big improvement for NPR.

Come on guys. some of there stuff both funny ( wwdtm, car talk and up here the prarie thing )

"prarie (sic) thing"....you mean Garrison Keillor....elitist far left wing owl-faced moonbat prig. Used to be somewhat funny 30 years ago...ceased to be when he started railing on anyone that didn't agree with his liberal line of thought.

NPR definitely leans left, but around here and where I grew up they run the most thorough radio news program with in depth reporting.

My wife doesn't like listening to the news, so I don't have it on too often, but I think they do a decent job. I think their weakest segments are the financial ones, because liberals tend to not get economics

I like WGBH for their classical and jazz. I long ago decided the personalities are a bunch of self satisfied, pompous d!cks -- sort of the far left version of Fox and friends. Now, when station surfing, I hit the seek button if I hear a "human" speaking.

That said, I like NPR news and listen to WBUR a lot. Car Talk (RIP, Tom), Terry Gross occasionally, Tom Ashbrook (about half the time I think he's an idiot), and on Sunday morning, the puzzle.
I can deal with the left slant and can always tune to another station if they have their head wedged.

Back
Top Bottom