Now what?

shootback

NES Member
About 4 years ago I purchased a gun from a dealer on GunBroke. I bought a realy nice looking Stoeger Zypher Upland game side by side. This is one of those fancey spanish jobs with the engraving all over it. When the gun arrived I test fired only to find one chamber would not fire. I contacted the dealer and we made a deal. He returned $200 dollars and I agreed to keep the gun. I figured I could have it fixed. I dropped it with a gun smith and told him to take his time fixing it. We touched base very six months of so to keep up on progress or lack of. I got a call from the gunsmith today saying after 4 years he gives up! It seams one of the internal springs (?) was missing and he has not been able to find one or have one made? He tells me I have two options now. 1. Pay him $165.00 for the time he has spent on it (which as I understand he has spent a lot of time) or two keep my money and let him keep the gun for parts. What do I do?

Pay the $165 and get your gun back. Doesn't smell right.

I'm sure you can have a spring sourced or made. It's a fkin spring.

Pay the $165 and get your gun back. Doesn't smell right.

I'm sure you can have a spring sourced or made. It's a fkin spring.

This.

Then call Stoeger and ask them what they recommend you do. Even if they don't make the parts any longer they may refer you to a source.

take the gun back!!!!

This.

Then call Stoeger and ask them what they recommend you do. Even if they don't make the parts any longer they may refer you to a source.

Do that first... =)

Springs can be custom made as well. there's many vendors out there. they may charge you a lot charge to make a custom one.. but i know theres a few that might even do one as a "sample" piece haha. It'll cost you some loot but its doable. You'll have to get a spec of the spring or a print.. if you have friends who know how to do solidworks, you can get the spec's and have them model one for you (in any CAD program really) and send it to a machine shop that as the capability to make springs.

Ie. Lee Springs, Custom Machine (based out of woburn) from what I can remember, my company had contracted custom springs from them before in the past. Good luck my friend.

About 4 years ago I purchased a gun from a dealer on GunBroke. I bought a realy nice looking Stoeger Zypher Upland game side by side. This is one of those fancey spanish jobs with the engraving all over it. When the gun arrived I test fired only to find one chamber would not fire. I contacted the dealer and we made a deal. He returned $200 dollars and I agreed to keep the gun. I figured I could have it fixed. I dropped it with a gun smith and told him to take his time fixing it. We touched base very six months of so to keep up on progress or lack of. I got a call from the gunsmith today saying after 4 years he gives up! It seams one of the internal springs (?) was missing and he has not been able to find one or have one made? He tells me I have two options now. 1. Pay him $165.00 for the time he has spent on it (which as I understand he has spent a lot of time) or two keep my money and let him keep the gun for parts. What do I do?

Not trying to be an ass here, seriously, but next time I'll bet you ask for an estimate. In my mind, if he spent all that time just to find out he couldn't get a part, something is wrong. I am an electrician but I will sometimes fix appliances if asked. If I tell someone I can fix their appliance, look at it for a half day and then say I can't fix it, I would feel a little dopey charging them. Maybe something just for the attempt, but $165.00 spent and no further ahead?

I may be incorrectly calling it a "spring" as I am not familiar with the internal workings of a side bie side shotgun, but I figured any part missing should be able to be reproduced?

Not trying to be an ass here, seriously, but next time I'll bet you ask for an estimate. In my mind, if he spent all that time just to find out he couldn't get a part, something is wrong. I am an electrician but I will sometimes fix appliances if asked. If I tell someone I can fix their appliance, look at it for a half day and then say I can't fix it, I would feel a little dopey charging them. Maybe something just for the attempt, but $165.00 spent and no further ahead?

I did have a quote. The quote was for a fair deal more than the $165. but that was assuming the gun would work.

I did have a quote. The quote was for a fair deal more than the $165. but that was assuming the gun would work.

That's what I mean. You had a quote for a completed job. Then he tells you he can't do the job. For me, he should eat his fee. He didn't say he would put some time into it and let you know, right? he gave you a specific price for a specific job. Call the guy on American Guns, for 3 or 4 grand he can build you a spring.[laugh][laugh]

I wouldn't have had a problem with the $165. If I brought it in, he looked it over for an hour, and said "I can't fix it" then yes I would. But if he actually went in depth, his time is still worth something.

Update. I picked up the shotgun last night. It seams I misunderstood the situation. The parts are all there and he did fix the stock. The problem is (according to the gunsmith) He can't adjust the single trigger mechanism to get both sides of the receiver to fire. He tells me this is unlike any other double barrel mechanism he has ever seen and has not been able to fine a schematic anywhere. The only thing he could recommend was to watch for a trashed side by side made by the same manufacturer and maybe he could swap out the trigger group. So, it sounds like it is a matter of adjusting or "tuning" the firing mechanism. I have had a few folks PM me with a shop that may be able to help so I am going to give them a try.
Ps: when I arrived the gun smith did seam to be genuinely sorry he could not fix it especially after having it for 4 years. He charged me for one hour labor and the materials to fix the stock $108

Back
Top Bottom