Now they come for Paintball and Airsoft

The thing that killed this bill last time is they lumped in BB & air guns with whatever else was a "replica" and that ran afoul of the fed airgun preemption laws. Looks like they've tightened it up a bit with the intention of going after airsoft.

"reasonably be perceived".........................in the Commiewealth, that phrase is particularly broad!!

How about a bill that makes all convicted, accused, or suspected felons wear bunny slippers? That ought to make people feel a lot safer.

No offense but I saw you write a few minutes ago you're ready to give single payer health care a try.

Brings this to mind. Big government is not a lunch menu. You get to eat it all.

Wants more Government.jpg .

Good why should just a us gun owners feel the pinch, let anything that can pew pew something out a barrel, let them feel the pain to.

Did I read that right? It would outlaw all so called imitation firearms?

How about a real firearm that currently isn't functioning or not fully put together? That could be reasonably perceived to be a firearm.

I'm not saying NOT fight for them, but I'm so glad to see the Paintball community coming out in force to help gun owners. (/sarcasm)

Here is the bill text. It bans the sale of them by making the sale a "deceptive practice."

Even toys are not immune to this.

SECTION 1. Section 121 of chapter 140 of the General Laws is hereby amended by striking out the figure “131Q”, inserted by section 19 of chapter 284 of the acts of 2014, and inserting in place thereof the following figure:— 131R.

SECTION 2. Said section 121 of said chapter 140 is hereby amended by striking out the definition of “Imitation firearm”, as appearing in the 2012 Official Edition, and inserting in place thereof the following definition:-

“Imitation firearm”, any device or object made of plastic, wood, metal or any other material which substantially duplicates or can reasonably be perceived to be an actual firearm, rifle, shotgun, air rifle, pellet gun, or “B-B” gun, unless such imitation firearm: (i) is colored other than black, blue, silver or aluminum; (ii) is marked with a non-removable orange stripe which is at least 1 inch in width and runs the entire length of the barrel on each side and the front end of the barrel; and (iii) has a barrel at least 1 inch in diameter that is closed for a distance of not less than one-half inch from the front-end of its barrel with the same material of which the imitation firearm is made. “Imitation firearm” does not include any non-firing replica of an antique firearm, the original of which was designed, manufactured and produced prior to 1898.

SECTION 3. Said chapter 140 is hereby amended by inserting after section 131Q, inserted by section 70 of chapter 284 of the acts of 2014, the following section:-

Section 131R. (a) No person shall import, manufacture, sell, hold for sale or distribute within the state any imitation firearm unless such device is imported, manufactured, sold, held for sale and distributed: (i) solely for subsequent transportation in interstate commerce; or (ii) solely for lawful use in a theatrical production, including a motion picture, television or stage production.

(b) A violation of this section shall constitute an unfair or deceptive trade act or practice under section 2 of chapter 93A.

F them. Seriously, building a toy is a "deceptive practice"? Who goes and buys a $10 Airsoft gun and walks away feeling like he was deceived about what he bought?

So rereading I guess it can be exempt if it meets all of those requirements that I have never seen any airsoft/toy/paintball gun have, ever. 1 inch orange stripe down the entire barrel? Never seen it, other than a colored orange tip (which probably doesn't count as a stripe). And impossible for a small barrel that can't fit a 1 inch stripe, but they got that covered by requiring the barrel to be higher than 1 inch. Surely no manufacturer is going to bother selling to MA if they have to make special editions just for MA.

Pardon my ignorance, but what Fed airgun laws? Have a cite?

The law is United States Code, Title 15, Section 5001, BB/AIRGUN/PAINTBALL/IMITATION FIREARM PREEMPTION. The sections of interest are Sections "g(i) and g(ii)" at the very end. 15 U.S. Code § 5001 - Penalties for entering into commerce of imitation firearms

"(g) Preemption of State or local laws or ordinances; exceptions

The provisions of this section shall supersede any provisions of State or local laws or ordinances which provide for markings or identifications inconsistent with provisions of this section provided that no State shall

(i) prohibit the sale or manufacture of any look-alike, non-firing, collector replica of an antique firearms developed prior to 1898, or

(ii) prohibit the sale (other than prohibiting the sale to minors) of traditional B-B, paint ball, or pellet-firing air guns that expel a projectile through the force of air pressure."

The law is United States Code, Title 15, Section 5001, BB/AIRGUN/PAINTBALL/IMITATION FIREARM PREEMPTION. The sections of interest are Sections "g(i) and g(ii)" at the very end. 15 U.S. Code § 5001 - Penalties for entering into commerce of imitation firearms

"(g) Preemption of State or local laws or ordinances; exceptions

The provisions of this section shall supersede any provisions of State or local laws or ordinances which provide for markings or identifications inconsistent with provisions of this section provided that no State shall

(i) prohibit the sale or manufacture of any look-alike, non-firing, collector replica of an antique firearms developed prior to 1898, or

(ii) prohibit the sale (other than prohibiting the sale to minors) of traditional B-B, paint ball, or pellet-firing air guns that expel a projectile through the force of air pressure."
Like MA legistraitors/governor/PDs/DAs/judges will care about this exemption! [rofl]

Many airsoft guns today are essentially replicas. They look exactly like the real thing in terms of looks. They are great for training. But they are obviously toys in terms of functionality.

I'm not saying NOT fight for them, but I'm so glad to see the Paintball community coming out in force to help gun owners. (/sarcasm)
I am a member of both communities, and have spread the word.

This is my latest creation. A custom Automag with a stealth Low Pressure Regulator in the foregrip to drive the pneumatic actuated trigger.

Waiting on a couple parts, then sending it out to be anodized.

IMG_20190827_231732.jpg

I am a member of both communities, and have spread the word.

This is my latest creation. A custom Automag with a stealth Low Pressure Regulator in the foregrip to drive the pneumatic actuated trigger.

Waiting on a couple parts, then sending it out to be anodized.

View attachment 299941

Interesting. Is the gun "tiny" or is the trigger comparatively large? They look out of proportion. (I don't mean that as a criticism - I just mean the trigger seems large / long were it an ordinary handgun.

How hard does it hit? More like a bb gun? A .22? Harder?

Interesting. Is the gun "tiny" or is the trigger comparatively large? They look out of proportion. (I don't mean that as a criticism - I just mean the trigger seems large / long were it an ordinary handgun.

How hard does it hit? More like a bb gun? A .22? Harder?

It is a double length trigger.

You use your index and middle finger to "walk" the trigger, alternatively firing with each to maximize rate of fire.

Interesting list of cities that ban airsoft (you will not be suprised), no state bans though...

Airsoft Guns - FindLaw

Furthermore, individuals in the U.S. must be 18 years of age or older to purchase an Airsoft gun. On the other hand, Airsoft guns are not classified as firearms and are legal for use by all ages under federal law. However, some municipalities and states place restrictions on Airsoft guns. New York City, Washington, D.C., Chicago, San Francisco, and parts of Michigan outlaw Airsoft guns entirely.

Some countries have specific restrictions on Airsoft guns, such as maximum muzzle velocity standards, restrictions on use of trademarks of real firearms, and required use of 'unrealistic' coloring to distinguish Airsoft guns from actual firearms.

Finally, states such as California have laws that make it a crime to brandish a look-alike gun in public. Furthermore, individuals using an Airsoft or replica gun to commit crimes will invariably be treated as though they had used an actual firearm.

Back
Top Bottom