1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Now that's coffee!!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Rockrivr1, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Mountain

Mountain NES Member

No longer a dark roast fan. Less caffeine! Actually I like the taste of a medium roast now. Kona my #1 but a close second and much cheaper is Ethiopian Yirgacheffe. This thread reminded me to order some. Also going to try the Aeropress. Will report back later...

2. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

Sounds like the Kim Kardashian of the Coffee World. LOL

3. BattleSnail

BattleSnail Banned

what I like about the press is you can totally control how the coffee comes out. Besides how much coffee you put in, you can steep it for as little as a few seconds or as long as several minutes and you'll have very differently tasting coffee at all points along that spectrum. Coffee snobs will insist there's a perfect amount of time lest you over or under extract but that's all horseshit as it's all a matter of personal preference.

4. Mxracer239y

Mxracer239y NES Member

I use a French press, 192° water, and just-ground Peets House Blend. Steep for 4 minutes. Makes a mean cup.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

5. Snora

Snora

Peet's Major Dickason, Trader Joe's Dark Roast or Bolivian, and Kicking Horse 454 are my go-to big brand coffees. Either in french press, aero press, or cold brew.

Any of you guys try http://www.birdsandbeans.com
    They're MA based and the dark and medium roasts were great.

6. swampy

swampy NES Member

7. Billsail

Billsail NES Member

8. Mass-diver

Mass-diver NES Member

This ^ once I started drinking Starbucks blonde, I couldn't go back to the dark stuff, way too weak.

Now, I mostly drink expresso, but I couldn't spring 2k for the setup I wanted, so it's nespresso (virtoline) for now - which is better than Starbucks (IMHO).

[​IMG]

9. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias NES Member

Google Byron Corrales Coffee.

A friend of mine went to Nicaragua and met the guy, then put me in touch with him and his son. His coffee is amazing.

10. ColdDayInHell

ColdDayInHell NES Member

If you're into Keurig

black tiger dark roast is awesome.

11. DarthRevan

DarthRevan Instructor NES Member

Heh, I worked a summer there a couple years ago. Great coffee, horrible clientele lol

12. Supermoto

Supermoto NES Member

Coffee tastes better when it is served to you by a hot chic in yoga pants, so I go to Marylou's

13. Individualist

Individualist NES Member

A subject that I know something about.... In a former life in the early 90's I owned a small batch coffee roasting company, but sold out after Charbucks bought out Coffee Connection and started muscling all the independents out of business.

Roast Level

My personal preference is to NOT dark roast good beans. It is essentially burning the beans and utterly destroys the unique characteristics and flavor. It is done primarily to hide flaws of moderate or low quality beans, which is the Charbucks strategy. Most of their beans are mediocre quality. Dark roasting is also done to lower acidity for those who like a softer mouthful. Most people, especially those who love Dunkin's coffee are used to low acidity coffee.

Full City roast is best for most high quality beans and shows their unique characteristics the best. A little darker FC+ or Vienna roast is Ok for high acid varietals like the Africans, especially if you tend to drink it black. I only drink my coffee black - no nothing added. Then again I also drink straight espresso.

The only exception where I would employ dark roasting is when creating certain blends, like an espresso (pronounced ESpresso not EXpresso) blend so you get a little smokiness. For espresso blends I would dark roast a high acidity bean like a Kenyan AA or Ethiopian Yirgacheffe (remember dark roasting lowers acidity) and blend it with something a that had a high fat content like a rich Colombian or Brazil Santos. Then depending on if you want it for straight up espresso you might blend a higher percent of low acid beans or if with milk like a cappuccino you would blend in medium acid beans to cut through the milk.

Bean Quality and My Favorite Roasters

There is a huge difference in quality between smaller boutique growers who put a lot of time, effort and attention into every step of the process vs. larger farms that automate much of the process. The varietal names may be the same "Sumatra", "Kenya AA", "Kona" etc. but the difference in the cup quality will be night and day. Stick with the small batch roasters who source from small quality farms.

Speaking of Coffee Connection, its founder George Howell, is roasting again and selling some top notch beans. George has the best coffee pallet of anyone I've met. His current products are very pricey but super high quality. George is a purist and will not sell anything but world class beans. See www.georgehowellcoffee.com

A similar roaster that I mail order certain beans from is www.birdrockcoffee.com. High quality selection of boutique beans but slightly better prices than George. Most notably for me is they have a very, very nice Yemen, which has been nearly impossible to find over the last decade due to all of the fighting and Govt controls in Yemen. At its best it is one of those intense beans that most people can't drink straight up. However, the flavor is like nothing else. I like to mix about 33% with a Sumatra or other low-medium acid Indonesian for a great Mocha-Java style blend.

Locally, I buy most of my beans from Armeno Coffee Roasters in Northboro www.armeno.com . They have a very good selection of quality beans and do a really nice Full City roast. They often carry one of my favorites - La Minita from Costa Rica and some other beautiful Costa Ricans and Guatemalans. They have a nice selection of Asian and Indonesians like Sumatra and Celebes, and several Hawaiian coffees for those who like them. The only bad coffee that I've had there was last month a Yemen that they brought in after many years of not having it. It was poor as Yemens go.

Grinding vs Whole Bean

Grinding before brewing is best, however you can have it pre-ground if you store it in the freezer in a quality bag with a vent to de-gas and let oxygen out. Armeno uses such bags. Speaking of de-gassing, once roasted the beans need a couple days before brewing. Don't brew beans just roasted. Once you take it from the freezer put in into an airtight canister with a gasket seal and it will be fine for a week or so. 95% of the people will never be able to tell the difference between properly stored pre-ground and just-ground in a blind taste test, despite that they claim. Simple fact is most pallets are just not that trained or sensitive. Where you get into trouble with freezing ground coffee is if you keep opening and closing - drawing from the bag in the freezer. The moisture will get in the bag and tend to cause a little freezer burn. So once you open it, pour half into a container, draw from that. When the can is empty fill it again with the other half of the bag.

Coffee Preparation

This again is a very complex subject because there are so many styles of brewing and there are many factors that affect the quality of the brew regardless of the brewer itself. Besides bean quality and roast level, the most important aspect is to make sure the water is the right temperature (roughly 200 degrees for drips), in contact for the appropriate amount of time, with the correct grind level for the particular style of brewing you are using. Only a few drip automatics on the market brew close to 200, but there are many that come close and can extract the essentials from the coffee. With enough experimentation you can find the right blend of bean, roast, grind, temp and contact duration for just about many decent coffee maker. I've used the high end makers and they are terrific, beautiful to look at and often fun to use, but spending $200 is not a necessity to get a good cup of coffee. Currently I am using a $75 Krups Savoy, which as does a surprisingly very good job, especially with the "bold" feature for additional contact with the grinds.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
    4 people like this.
  14. Knob Creek

Knob Creek NES Member

I'm due for a new grinder. Any recommendations that won't break the bank?

15. Rem29

Rem29 NES Member

Check out Armeno Coffee in Northborough, MA. You won't be disappointed.

16. ica5726

ica5726 NES Member

Capresso Infinitry burr grinder at $85, nice consistant grinder that I've had 5+ yrs doing daily grind work and is still going.

Individualist's post says it all about coffee and everyone who enjoys a good cup of coffee should read.

Down on the SouthCoast of MA- Try Coastal Roasters and Common Ground Coffees. Both have small artisan roasters in the cafe and surely won't disappoint.

17. Mr.E

Mr.E

http://www.1stincoffee.com/capresso-ceramic-grinder.htm
    came across this. As long as your not pulling shots this will fit the bill. Of course it's not where near as sexy as an Elektra.....

18. oppressed

oppressed NES Member

I recently got a Bialetti stove top coffee maker. Kind of in between espresso and drip coffee.

19. Boston_Shooter

Boston_Shooter

This is the equivalent of walking into a thread about AR-15's and talking about you paintball set up. [wink] That Keurig shit is horrible.

I'm no connoisseur of coffee, as long as it doesn't suck, I'll drink it.

20. Boston_Shooter

Boston_Shooter

[​IMG]

This is my coffee maker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. falcon123

falcon123 NES Member

Why are you bringing race into this?

22. falcon123

falcon123 NES Member

There's this guy, Juan Valdez, I hear he makes great coffee. Rides around on a donkey.

23. Jason Flare

Jason Flare NES Member

[laugh]

Turkish coffee?

24. Boston_Shooter

Boston_Shooter

"Greek" coffee depending on who you ask, lol.

1 person likes this.
  25. Snora

Snora

Not sure what breaking the bank means to you but the Baratza Encore is awesome and the best part (to me, and probably a lot of guys here) is that replacement parts are available easily from the manufacturer's website and are reasonably priced. I drink coffee everyday so investing in a good piece of equipment that I can repair and maintain is fine with me.

26. W.E.C

W.E.C NES Member

A subject that I know something about.... In a former life in the early 90's I owned a small batch coffee roasting company, but sold out after Charbucks bought out Coffee Connection and started muscling all the independents out of business.

Wow , outstanding.
    that post was worthy of the cover piece of coffee monthly!
    [smile]

27. Jim85IROC

Jim85IROC

I like Dunks.

28. PennyPincher

PennyPincher NES Member

Do the Eskimos have 60 words for coffee? I'm thinking we need more than 1 word for coffee. Something to call that DD swill, home brew, Starbucks, etc

29. Jason Flare

Jason Flare NES Member

Try using the liquid Cremora vanilla flavor creamer. Even better.

30. drumenigma

drumenigma NES Member

I normally buy from Coffee Beans Direct. They usually have deals each Monday. I got a 25 pound burlap sack of this http://www.coffeebeandirect.com/iced-coffee-blend.html for 20% off the other week. I have tried a bunch of different beans from them and have never been disappointed and the prices are great when you buy 5 pounds or more at a time.