• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Now I understand Mosin Love

I got a T-53 and it looks like its been threw the jungles of Nam, its all dinged but the boar is clean and all the numbers match. It shoots very and I love the giant fire ball that comes out.
Fun cheap gun.

The love for mosin ran out when I thought $1350 shipped was to much for a crate of rifles . Then once surplus starting costing more than $60 a tin. The fun ran out.
The draw to mosins was cheap cheap cheap. I need to go back to late 80s when you could pick up a SKS and 1k rounds for about $139 before I get close to the cheap mosin.
I have a 91/30 and M44 that are close to the chopping block

The love for mosin ran out when I thought $1350 shipped was to much for a crate of rifles . Then once surplus starting costing more than $60 a tin. The fun ran out.
The draw to mosins was cheap cheap cheap. I need to go back to late 80s when you could pick up a SKS and 1k rounds for about $139 before I get close to the cheap mosin.
I have a 91/30 and M44 that are close to the chopping block
Yeah, I'll never see a $99 Mosin, But I certainly don't want to buy a $400 one either. LOL

Accuracy is more of a factor of the condition of the gun than the model at this point (Finns aside).

Good advice^. I've got a spam can of corrosive ammo that was a throw-in with the rifle and I have no plans to turn that key! I heard the soldiers would piss down the barrels of them to help keep them from rusting the ammo was so bad
All I fire from my mosins is surplus corrosive. I clean it when I get home.....no rust on any of my 3 mosins. Takes me 15 minutes to clean the rifle when I get home. No big deal.

I love the rifle, but I think I would rather the carbine length. Is there a trade off in accuracy? I know there's a bunch of Mosin buffs here that have one of each......
My m38 carbine is the most accurate of my 3. I have a 91-30, an m44, and an m38. Carbines can be very accurate. The bonus to the carbines is the fire ball with surplus ammo. By far the loudest rifle I've ever fired.....and my list includes much time with ma duece.

As far as acquiring a carbine (t53, m44, or m38) you will pay more than you will ever for a 91/30.

Last edited:
I love my M44 but never shoot my 91/30. Sold all of the ones off I had except for the 1 91/30 and the M44. Definitely fun to shoot but the M44 seems to mostly make range trips when I take new shooters. I love how many people on this site talk about how bad the recoil is, maybe they only shoot AR's.
True. The recoil is not bad at all. The only thing I can think of that puts people off to mosin "recoil" is the steel butt plate with the sharp edges.....which as a matter of fact....was designed that way because it also served as a nice club when your out of ammo.

Speaking to the mosin "haters" here......nope.....they are not beautiful.....they are not well designed ergonomically......they are hit or miss as far as accuracy. The draw to a mosin WAS the $160 price tag years ago. Amazing to own a powerful rifle for what most spend on dinner and a movie. That being said......the current $300 price tags on them removes alot of the love. If I hadn't acquired my 3 during the low price days I'd not be in the market for one today. But......most of my admiration for my 3 mosin nagants is knowing what I paid for them. They are great.

I never understood all the Mosin love on this site, but now I do. Holy crap what a fun and accurate rifle for lead therapy.

View attachment 253864
My brother in law brought the top 3 rifles, I brought the bottom. Had more fun with the beat up commie rifles than my AR, and now I want one.

Here are my 50 yard practice shots before we moved to 100

View attachment 253865

So now I'm hunting for a Mosin to play with.
You'd love a mosin even more if you had got into the market when they were $160.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. I'm looking for a good used lever gun too. I think either one will give me the "breeze up the skirt" that my black guns used to give me....
Patriot arms in ipswitch has a good selection of used lever actions. Mostly Winchester 94 in 30-30. $400 to $500 if I remember correctly.

I got a T-53 and it looks like its been threw the jungles of Nam, its all dinged but the boar is clean and all the numbers match. It shoots very and I love the giant fire ball that comes out.
Fun cheap gun.

What did you use to clean your boar? Mine could use a little work...

1.jpg

[wink]

Patriot arms in ipswitch has a good selection of used lever actions. Mostly Winchester 94 in 30-30. $400 to $500 if I remember correctly.
I'm in NH. I'm going to take a ride around to a few places Saturday to get an idea of prices for each (Mosin and Lever). 619 DW, Merrimack FA, and maybe The Barn Store. I don't need a new rifle, I need a well taken care of used rifle that I can shoot.

I'm in NH. I'm going to take a ride around to a few places Saturday to get an idea of prices for each (Mosin and Lever). 619 DW, Merrimack FA, and maybe The Barn Store. I don't need a new rifle, I need a well taken care of used rifle that I can shoot.
Last time I was in 619dw they had probably 3-5 91/30s, all/most around $265 inc. the usual tools/accessories. I don't recall if they had any carbines. This reminds me that I have a headspace gauge tucked away, you might want to use one. Shooter's Outpost usually has an assortment of milsurps, but have been priced a little high in my opinion. I'm guessing you don't have a C&R.

Last time I was in 619dw they had probably 3-5 91/30s, all/most around $265 inc. the usual tools/accessories. I don't recall if they had any carbines. This reminds me that I have a headspace gauge tucked away, you might want to use one. Shooter's Outpost usually has an assortment of milsurps, but have been priced a little high in my opinion. I'm guessing you don't have a C&R.
No C&R. I haven't purchased a firearm at Shooter's in a few years. I haven't purchased anything there since my first handgun. This one I think will either be from 619 or the Barn Store

No C&R. I haven't purchased a firearm at Shooter's in a few years. I haven't purchased anything there since my first handgun. This one I think will either be from 619 or the Barn Store
I've never been to the Barn Store. I only purchased ammo and accessories at 619 but it's a solid store. If I were looking in a shop for a Mosin, it's where I'd start. If you want to borrow a headspace guage, let me know. If the Mosin you buy comes with the tools, you can check the firing pin depth. I've been interested in getting an M44 someday myself, but other milsurps (like my K98) have taken priority.

I've never been to the Barn Store. I only purchased ammo and accessories at 619 but it's a solid store. If I were looking in a shop for a Mosin, it's where I'd start. If you want to borrow a headspace guage, let me know. If the Mosin you buy comes with the tools, you can check the firing pin depth. I've been interested in getting an M44 someday myself, but other milsurps (like my K98) have taken priority.

The Barn Store is one of those hidden gem places. Hardware store/Lunch counter/Gun Shop/Seed & Feed place. My BiL bought his Mauser there. I buy ammo there every time I step into the place. It's situated pretty close to my alternate location, so I'm in there enough to know what they have in the store. Lots of consignment/used firearms, but they also deal new stuff as well.

Barn Store of New England | Salisbury, NH Barn Outfitter

They get a lot of local sourced pork products. The bacon is off the chart. Place is worth the ride. You can do a "Sunday drive loop" and hit the Barn Store for breakfast, then either The Flying Goose or Kettlehead for lunch/beer......

Thank you for the offer on the gauge. I think my BiL has like 5 of them. He's a nut about his Mosin.

I purchased my bubba'd M44 three years ago in pieces. The barreled receiver cost me $72, someone had hacked off the bayonet mount and chewed up the receiver trying to remove the barrel. I found a "sporterized" (meaning bubba'd) 91/30 stock for $15 and got a complete bolt for $25.
Definitely NOT pretty, and any Mosin purist who sees it pukes, but it's real fun to shoot.
Bubba Mosin.jpg

If a purist jumps all over me I shug and tell 'em I wasn't the butcher, and that there's an untouched M44, T53, M39, and several 91/30s in a crate at home.

This, haha.

I bought a Mosin back when they were less than $100, then I bought a few more (another 91/30, an M44, an M38, etc)

Never really thought they were particularly fun to shoot, and they weren't impressive for accuracy out of a bolt action.

I got rid of all of them and the ammo when prices started to creep into the mid-upper 200's

Peasant rifles.

I purchased my bubba'd M44 three years ago in pieces. The barreled receiver cost me $72, someone had hacked off the bayonet mount and chewed up the receiver trying to remove the barrel. I found a "sporterized" (meaning bubba'd) 91/30 stock for $15 and got a complete bolt for $25.
Definitely NOT pretty, and any Mosin purist who sees it pukes, but it's real fun to shoot.
View attachment 254460

If a purist jumps all over me I shug and tell 'em I wasn't the butcher, and that there's an untouched M44, T53, M39, and several 91/30s in a crate at home.

LOL! Just the thought of a Mosin snob cracks me up! Yes, I like them and won't completely bubba the ones I have- but if the stock inlets need a little work to get some accuracy I'm going to go ahead and defile (file?) the Mosin.

I like that 'abomination' you have there. How's it shoot?

This, haha.

I bought a Mosin back when they were less than $100, then I bought a few more (another 91/30, an M44, an M38, etc)

Never really thought they were particularly fun to shoot, and they weren't impressive for accuracy out of a bolt action.

I got rid of all of them and the ammo when prices started to creep into the mid-upper 200's

Peasant rifles.
As a child of the 70's, growing up during the Cold War, I have a distaste for anything Soviet.
I think the only reason so many people like Mosins is that they were so inexpensive (and that's a good reason! ).
Take any/all of the main infantry rifles of the WW2 combatants, price them all exactly the same ( pick a price: $200, $500, $1000, whatever). Which one would you choose to purchase last?

As a child of the 70's, growing up during the Cold War, I have a distaste for anything Soviet.
I think the only reason so many people like Mosins is that they were so inexpensive (and that's a good reason! ).
Take any/all of the main infantry rifles of the WW2 combatants, price them all exactly the same ( pick a price: $200, $500, $1000, whatever). Which one would you choose to purchase last?
Jap stuff. Then Soviet crap.

Jap stuff. Then Soviet crap.

I used to feel that way. I grew up in close proximity to NAVAIR Point Mugu, which was a primary Soviet ICBM target- thus we had nuke attack drills at the school. Comical, because we probably would have been vaporized or at least fried to ashes.

I recently started going to Russia for business and my attitude has taken a 180. The guys I am dealing with are much more like us than are the libtards in the US. The commies are now a shrinking 11% minority party and most people want nothing to do with the old Soviet ways. I was treated very well, the food was great, and as far as the women go- I saw more smoke shows than I have seen anywhere else recently. Also, guns and girls are still OK to openly display at airport news stands and those magazines are placed in the most desirable middle rack:

O7kbEIol.jpg

The vast supply of surplus mosins driving the price down was the ONLY reason people got on the mosin train the way we did. If Russia only made 100,000 of em we'd never even know about them in the first place. The draw for me in owning the mosin nagants I do:

1. Price......$160 for my first one and never paid more than $200 for a mosin.
2. Fun.....it's a quirky rifle that is actually fun at the range....especially the carbines
3. It's a historical thing......owning a mosin and realizing that this basically crappy rifle was wielded by peasant conscripts to destroy the Nazi war machine and realizing what they were expected to do with a junky gun......and they succeeded.
4. I can take a $160 gun to the range and ding an 8 inch steel gonng with a 30 Cal bullet at 100 yards all day long. Good enough for me.

Last edited:
The vast supply of surplus mosins driving the price down was the ONLY reason people got on the mosin train the way we did. If Russia only made 100,000 of em we'd never even know about them in the first place. The draw for me in owning the mosin nagants I do:

1. Price......$160 for my first one and never paid more than $200 for a mosin.
2. Fun.....it's a quirky rifle that is actually fun at the range....especially the carbines
3. It's a historical thing......owning a mosin and realizing that this basically crappy rifle was wielded by peasant conscripts to destroy the Nazi war machine and realizing what they were expected to do with a junky gun......and they succeeded.
4. I can take a $160 gun to the range and ding an 8 inch steel gonng with a 30 Cal bullet at 100 yards all day long. Good enough for me.

I'll add to that:

5. With some elbow grease and a few pennies for shim material, that quirky / junky rifle can be made quite accurate, even sub-MOA, if you buy one with a good bore.

Back
Top Bottom