Now I remember why...

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
My last 2 trips back to New England reminded me of all the reasons I love this place - the beautiful mountains and trees, and of course my family and all my wonderful friends are here. But this trip has reminded me of all the reasons I moved away from this place!

What the hell?! I used to think cold was no big deal! But you get this cold for MONTHS on end and no SUNSHINE. No way! I like my warm weather and my abundant sunshine in TX! The default mode should always be warmth!

And don't get me started about the snow and icy roads. Crap! We were driving through VA and they had flashing signs about "WINTER WEATHER ROADS MAY BE SLIPPERY." No Freaking kidding! It's WINTER! But hey, lets scare people and flash a big ole sign. It may as well just say "GET OFF THE F$%&^%$ ROADS! YOU'RE GONNA DIE!" As a matter of fact my son and I agreed that unless that's the advice, there should be no warning as YOU SHOULD KNOW IT'S WINTER AND THE ROADS MAY SUCK! Let's save the flashing signs for emergencies.

And who built these roads? None of them are straight. And do all of them have to go up and down over MOUNTAINS?! I'm not talking the little roads but the HIGHWAYS. Highways should be straight as possible from point to point. WE want to get there QUICKLY as possible! It's not about the scenery. It's about getting there!

While I am extremely glad I was able to make this trip with my son I am also extremely happy to be headed back to TX in a couple of days!

And thankful that he has already told me that he will not be in NH come NEXT winter!

greencobra

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I love the change of seasons with the exception of summer. man, I hate heat, humidity and sun burn. Enjoy the cold and snow. I couldn't wait to get back when I moved to colorado, I just grin and bare it until August is gone by.

cockpitbob

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
After growing up in MA & CT my first job was in southern California. At first it was great! But after 3 months I would wake up, open the drapes, look outside and say "Yup, another goddamed beautiful day.". I started to hate the monotony and miss the variety.

wahsben

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I'm with you Penny Pincher. I'll take the warmth any day. I'd rather jump in a pool, lake or ocean, have a cold drink and turn on the AC or open the windows instead of having to put on layers of clothing, crank up the heat which dries everything out and cracks my skin, drive on roads full of cracks and potholes, deal with colds & the flu and to have to clear snow and to drive in the snow. Also the scenery is much better when it's warm.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
My last 2 trips back to New England reminded me of all the reasons I love this place - the beautiful mountains and trees, and of course my family and all my wonderful friends are here. But this trip has reminded me of all the reasons I moved away from this place!

What the hell?! I used to think cold was no big deal! But you get this cold for MONTHS on end and no SUNSHINE. No way! I like my warm weather and my abundant sunshine in TX! The default mode should always be warmth!

And don't get me started about the snow and icy roads. Crap! We were driving through VA and they had flashing signs about "WINTER WEATHER ROADS MAY BE SLIPPERY." No Freaking kidding! It's WINTER! But hey, lets scare people and flash a big ole sign. It may as well just say "GET OFF THE F$%&^%$ ROADS! YOU'RE GONNA DIE!" As a matter of fact my son and I agreed that unless that's the advice, there should be no warning as YOU SHOULD KNOW IT'S WINTER AND THE ROADS MAY SUCK! Let's save the flashing signs for emergencies.

And who built these roads? None of them are straight. And do all of them have to go up and down over MOUNTAINS?! I'm not talking the little roads but the HIGHWAYS. Highways should be straight as possible from point to point. WE want to get there QUICKLY as possible! It's not about the scenery. It's about getting there!

While I am extremely glad I was able to make this trip with my son I am also extremely happy to be headed back to TX in a couple of days!

And thankful that he has already told me that he will not be in NH come NEXT winter!
I watched a documentary about the interstates, and at one point it mentioned that they decided to put a turn every so many miles so people wouldn't fall asleep. I love straight roads, but in places like Flroida it is easy to zone out and fall asleep sleep, you feel like you are on a runway for miles.

As far as mountains...well, that's the beauty of the North East.
Trees and mountains and the fact that it doesn't look like everything was engineered to look a certain way like Florida for example.

Ice and snow...do you remember how retarded people get when it snows or rains? - if the signs will keep some off the road, then I'm all for it.

Last edited:

xjma99

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when they make air conditioned jackets, I'll be a fan of hot weather. until then, I'll take the snow.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My brother is moving to Dallas next year.

If I didn't live 2 minutes from the ocean and surf when I want, fish when I want, sail when I want then I most certainly would be in TX with him.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the milder mix of seasons in NC. Longer summer. Shorter winter. Cargo shorts to work from April to October.
Around here they have a name for people who move from the Northeast, down to Florida then to the mid-Atlantic region.
Halfback.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Alligators
Rattlesnakes
HUGE F'ING MASQUEEDOZ
Big-ass bugs in general
Fire ants
termites
lizards
Desert or damp-as-hell mold havens

For a long time, I wanted to move south - at least in winter. The last year or so, I'll take New England in order to avoid the above. LOL

SpencerT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Born and raised in NE.. been up and down the east and west coasts, some of the mid states and TX and you couldn't pay me to move out of NE, I'm not a huge fan of the snow but don't mind the cold, I like the change of seasons and the daily changes in weather.

I also personally cannot stand southern hospitality lol don't much care for the nice friendly people Ive met in other states either... and I hate their laid back slow down style, I'm always rushing. Must be in my blood but I don't want to talk to strangers, say hello in stores wave to people ask how their day is or ever see my neighbors unless it's an emergency.

cockpitbob

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Alligators
Rattlesnakes
HUGE F'ING MASQUEEDOZ
Big-ass bugs in general
Fire ants
termites
lizards
Desert or damp-as-hell mold havens

For a long time, I wanted to move south - at least in winter. The last year or so, I'll take New England in order to avoid the above. LOL
Yeah, but to me our Lyme and related diseases that have no reliable test or guaranteed treatment trump all those other things.

Chris

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Just east of Zone 9, but in Worcester County.
Would rather suffer a couple months of cold where I can dress warm, build a fire, make excuses to stay in to watch football, etc.

I visited Arizona in the summer. HOLY HELL! And Atlanta in the summer is like living in a shower house where the showers have been running at full hot for 2 hours. Hot and damp all the time. I know Texas isn't quite that bad at either extreme, but if I'm sweating here in New England when the temps reach 80, I'm going to never feel clean down there. And you can only take so much off before you get arrested. (^_^)

Maybe I'd feel different if I was used to it, but it just seems like torture.

And don't give me that "yea, but I can ride my Motorcycle all year long" BS. I can too. Some days I can't due to the roads being slicker than a Texas hog pen, but adding layers or heated gear is way easier than trying to survive the heat in full gear. Heck it was barely 30 out this morning when I ride to the grocery store to pick up some things we needed. No big deal.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
What? Wait a min. Didn't you just start a thread like 2 months ago about him moving up there? [laugh]

I hear ya on the rest. Going back there always makes me remember why I left. I'm heading to MA in a few weeks for a 30 yr friend's 40th b-day. I swear if I only knew him for 29 yrs. I wouldn't be going. [laugh]

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
OP: sunny warm weather is making you soft [laugh]
Sounds to me like you've gotten soft, PP!
I realized on this trip that it has been at least 15 years since I have HAD to drive in bad weather. My work has always been dependent on meeting clients in person and if the roads were bad, they weren't coming out. Add on a child in school who stays home when school is cancelled and I was staying home with him. Been a long number of years since I needed to travel in "weather."

- - - Updated - - -

i love new england landscape ...but I Would love 6 months of May and 6 months of October up here...thats my ideal weather
true dat!

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
What? Wait a min. Didn't you just start a thread like 2 months ago about him moving up there? [laugh]

I hear ya on the rest. Going back there always makes me remember why I left. I'm heading to MA in a few weeks for a 30 yr friend's 40th b-day. I swear if I only knew him for 29 yrs. I wouldn't be going. [laugh]
Probably just did that thread a couple weeks ago. This trip up was me and him driving up here for that move back to NH. Otherwise, I would have never been here.

And I have been getting the full NH winter experience since I have been here. No cell reception in the house so I got to stand out in the back yard the other day to make a phone call (no house phone) in 15 degree weather! Lost power this morning. Generator kicked on. Then noticed the power pole was on fire due to whatever blew and shut off the power. Right now one of the neighbors that stopped by for a visit is stuck in the driveway cause the truck slid off the edge and is now on grass and it's a little bit of a "drop" making recovery without help looking doubtful.

Ah.... New England. I won't miss these winter moments. But oh yeah, it's pretty to look at so long as you don't need to be out in it or have loved ones driving in it.

Warmth should be the default mode in life. TX does have mountains, FYI, and desert and prairies, and rivers and ponds/lakes and even the gulf coast. Have yet to need to shovel the sunshine off the roadways. I swear I was born in the wrong region of the country!

fitzknny

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing like a game of sand hockey ! ! . . . . Give me The North East ! ! ! North west, North central . . . ! !

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
And a nice little cherry on top of the cream of this little storm. Went out to see friends this afternoon and stayed out just long enough that the driveway started freezing up (and oh yeah, another little covering of snow had fallen) just to make getting up the driveway "interesting." Took about 12 minutes to get up the final 15 feet or so. I'm so done with this crap. And other than being extremely sad that I am going home without my son as he begins his life independently, I am so thrilled to be leaving!

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
True the cold here does get old fast. But I have some friends who moved to Texas and keep posting pics. Everything is so effing FLAT!! And the houses.... All the same arranged in subdivisions containing thousands of identical houses in a giant grid! Sure, there must be some not in giant cookie cutter subdivisions, but not from any of my friends or relatives. And no basements.... Where do you keep your crap?

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Lack of sunshine is something I could do without, but I'd trade that in a heartbeat to skip the heat. There's only so many layers of clothes you can take off in public before they slap the cuffs on you.

NC was nice, but still too hot in August. I didn't spend any time there in icy weather, but with I can only imagine how bad the driving must be. My commute when I was there was 15 min one way, but regularly took more like 30 due to traffic. The drivers just seem to blast down the road without looking more than 1 to 2 vehicles ahead, and so when traffic slows or comes to a stop, people are flying past you, between lanes, and down the shoulders / median, in a frequently futile attempt to avoid plowing into the back of another vehicle. Same thing with not bothering to slow down for entrance/exit ramps - Just keep driving at the speed limit and see whether you slide off the side. I was on the phone with my wife on the way back to the hotel one day, joking about how I saw an average of 2.5 wrecks every day, 1 going one direction, 2 going the other. Came around the curve in a ramp, and there's a state police officer parked on the side of the road next to two young-ish women, looking awfully sad...and literally one half of a vehicle, on fire. [rofl] Didn't see the other half of it, and never found out what had happened, but I still laugh about how I saw exactly the average number of wrecks that day.

I'd go further north if I could. NH, VT, northern ME. Adirondacks would be nice if NYers would get off their butts and flush NYC.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Yeah, but to me our Lyme and related diseases that have no reliable test or guaranteed treatment trump all those other things.
Very true. I guess the devil you know. . .

Lyme Disease is surely one that is vexing, but I'm not a stomp-thru-the-woods sorta guy. I'm betting a good heavy white-tail hunt for a few years would correct it.

As far as EEE and such, I have/had a client who was on the Mosquito Control Board. His words, in effect, were that the Hockomock Swamp was the major NE breeding ground for all of this, with flyover ducks and such. It was a Mecca for mosquito-born disease. All it would take is a couple of arial evenings sprays a year to effectively eradicate EEE and other mosquito diseases in Massachusetts but the bunny-huggers would have a conniption. Something that is done regularly in other states that have massive mosquito populations. (And it's done in very wet years in MA. . . only AFTER someone contracts EEE or something. WTF????)

Top Bottom