• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Now for something completely different: Bullpup in 762x39. What fun!

Hi all.

Before I begin let me say that I'm a stickler for keeping old warhorses together properly and not trying to "improve" them. Their history proves their worth and very little we can do will make that better.

However...

SGWorks introduced a new stock for the SKS quite a while back. After three iterations and lots of experience they finally have a product that attracted me to buy one. In essence, the stock is a bullpup design. It uses, however, any SKS on the market as the action. The really cool thing is that it does not require one modification to the SKS itself. Instead, it has redesigned and reengineered the SKS barreled action and trigger group into a bullpup design. The result? An extremely well balanced rifle, robust, modern stock, same reliable and accurate action, and a potent 762/39 round in a package just over 30" long. It's look belies the heft of this rifle. It's heavier than a standard M4 model AR to be sure but all the weight is balanced toward your shoulder, not in front. And, to boot, the felt recoil is really amazingly small. I was shocked, really, when I shot it for the first time to day. Here's a few pics:

Bare stock arrived. It's really interesting and weighs very little but is very very rigid.

barestock.jpg

Left side

full%20left%20side.jpg

closeup

left%20close.jpg

right side

full%20right%20side.jpg

closeup

right%20close.jpg

There was some fitting that was required but the mods were done to the stock and supporting piece on the interior. The barreled action fits with precision within the lower part of the new stock. The trigger group, if you didn't notice, is buried in the large butt end of the stock. That's what sits in your shoulder. Notice how much more forward the trigger is and how little of the barrel extends beyond the stock in front of the trigger. The trigger, btw, is extremely comfortable. I was extremely surprised as to how good it actually felt. The mechanism that they've developed to work the trigger and make the adjustments is quite straight forward and pretty simple. But, once you get it adjusted it'll stay that way forever.

BTW you strip into the SKS just like normal. The deflector door is spring loaded just like an AR door and you open it to strip in and it latches closed. Deflection is at about 3 o'clock straight out. No, this is NOT a rifle for Lefty-only shooters. I shoot both sides so it's not an issue for me but no dedicated left handers will be comfortable with the bolt so close to their face.

FYI total weight, all up, is precisely 10 lbs, 1 oz, dry. Also with the Yugo barrel it's exactly 34" long. CT has a 30" rule.

All in all I'm really happy with this new addition to the "black rifle" clan. It is CT compliant and I can't imagine it isn't MA compliant, too, because it's an SKS, period. It does not run afoul of any regs as long as I have the original mag in place. And, too boot, I can reconfigure it back to the SKS in about 15 minutes if I want. I have to tell you, however, that this handles so well that I'd much rather shoot this than the standard SKS anymore and I'm a huge fan of the SKS in general.

You can find more by going to SGWorks.com and poking there. No, of course I don't have any affiliation with them but I really just wanted to share my experience with this new project with you. I sited it in today and it needs to have the trigger adjusted just a tiny big more and it'll be ready for action.

Rome

Thanks for posting, I had been looking into SKS bullpups a bit, but hadn't heard a lot of good things. This does look very cool. I've got three Chinese SKSs and could definitely see myself doing this to one of them.

Hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like the top of the receiver is covered, preventing you from loading via stripper clips. That wouldn't be a problem in a state where 20-30 round Tapco's were legal, but I haven't had good luck with steel preban mags.

I'd love to hear how it shoots.

To answer my own question, there is a flip-up cover that allows you to load via stripper clips and then acts as a shell deflector to keep the empties out of your face.

One of the complaints I had read about was that this mechanism quickly loses its ability to stay down. Hopefully that is one of the improvements that they have made to the new model.

Good luck

To answer your question about shooting it, let me just say that any minor underwhelming aspects of this stock were quickly forgotten as I loosed that first round. I'm in love. Here's a rifle that knows precisely what it's all about. There are zero/nada compromises with the shooting of this rifle. From the first round it was super solid. I've owned and shot every semi-auto ever made since 1938 (I really have) and I can tell you that this one "hides" that recoil as good as if not better than the AR. Remember that film that ran around the 'net for a while showing an instructor shooting an M16 mounted firmly in his crotch? No problem with this one, too, and it's even better because it's a 762 round! I'm pleased.......very very pleased with the way it handled and anything that detracts this rifle by it's looks has been clearly overshadowed by it's performance. Wow, am I thrilled and that's saying a lot because I have a lot of experience with it.

The balance has a lot to do with it. All the heavy stuff is behind the trigger now. So, the weight of the rifle tends to be at your shoulder. Holding it flat off-hand is a piece of cake. No more 30" ahead of your trigger finger. And look at that buttstock. It covers a lot of real estate and therefore disperses the recoil over a much larger area than a typical buttstock. Double taps with this rifle will be much easier than a typical SKS, too.

I've got a reflective Sight-Tech middle-of-the-road site on it. You can put anything you want on this but lets face it; this rifle is for quick target acquisition not paper punching at 200 yards. The red dot on there is easy to see with a flat cheekweld. You also shoot both eyes open on this rifle. I got it pretty much dialed in yesterday but after adjusting the trigger linkage this week, I'll take it back and finish. It'll be a tack driver at 100 yards easily enough.

The 34" length swings easily. I haven't tried a sling on it yet because I just haven't taken the time. It should hand butt end down, however, because of the balance.

Finally the concern of the deflector door is warranted. But it was beefed up and riveted in place and the lock is as good as any AR upper I've seen. The door, itself, is not metal but some resin plastic like the body of the stock. Criticisms? Sure. #1 I would have liked to have seen a metal top rail. Hardened plastic is fine but for durability I would have liked to have found at least an aluminum rail, just like the front three short rails are all aluminum ( or some light metal). I would have liked to have seen a totally metal front upper as far as that goes but the plastic one is fine and locks down extremely tight so there's zero/absolutely no movement. Finally the install instructions basically, well, suck. I could rewrite them 100% better but no one is paying me to do that so I won't. Suffice it to say that there are gaps that should have been filled. I've sent my critiques to the company, too. Finally there is one super tiny screw that is used to adjust the trigger op rod. They say that some rifles will require a longer one to allow for just a tiny bit more adjustment ( like a 1/64th). Why the hell not include that bit in the kit? For what we paid for it it should be in there to save me from having to call them and send me one for free. Dumb move. There are other bits included with the stock but not the trigger one.

But, none of these deficiencies would prevent me from doing another if I were the type of guy to build more than one of anything. REmember, however, you've got to be aware of your overall length.

Rome

I think this project would benefit from being painted in some way. I'm going to do some research and see what I can come up with. It's plastic, after all. Different paint requirements as opposed to metal.

Rome

I think this project would benefit from being painted in some way. I'm going to do some research and see what I can come up with. It's plastic, after all. Different paint requirements as opposed to metal.

Rome

Look into the "Fusion" line of paint. They are spray can paints supposedly formulated to bond at the molecular level with plastics so in theory should bond very well with little prep, unlike conventional paints. I have not personally tried them yet myself, but I believe they are made by Krylon and are sold at most big box stores. Obviously they aren't as durable as Cerakote, but way cheaper if it's going to be a range toy, and not something you plan to go into battle with and still look nice.[wink]

I have been thinking about doing this with a gunsmith special I picked up last year. How would you theorize that 30 round detachable mags would work such as interference with the trigger hand and changing out magazines or is top loading actually quicker?

The ergonomics of this stock has taken into account the larger, bent mags. It will clear easily enough and, with the extended magazine release that is on my stock, releasing the mags for reloading isn't an issue at all. It would take a lot to strip in 30 rounds from the top but it could be done, I guess.

This would be a great project for a "gunsmith special" for sure.

Rome

Yeah, I know the feeling. This is all new territory to me because I'd spent decades cleaning and "restoring" to functionality dozens of firearms. I simply ran out of them to do. I found this project years ago when it was brand new and put it aside. It just didn't fit my type of gun fun. Then, a couple of weeks ago, I rediscovered it and it brought me out of the gun doldrums giving me something to really play with and enjoy for the fun of it. I didn't expect to "love" it as much as I do, however. That was a complete surprise.

Rome

PS Remember, everyone, to steal some of the current vernacular, "No harm was done to ANY of the SKS in this project!" LOL

Look into the "Fusion" line of paint. They are spray can paints supposedly formulated to bond at the molecular level with plastics so in theory should bond very well with little prep, unlike conventional paints. I have not personally tried them yet myself, but I believe they are made by Krylon and are sold at most big box stores. Obviously they aren't as durable as Cerakote, but way cheaper if it's going to be a range toy, and not something you plan to go into battle with and still look nice.[wink]

My gf is in the movement of painting coolers . It this female trend / group on Facebook. I'm getting a gun themed one lol.

Any ways .
No matter what the paint says bonds to plastic etc .
Sand the plastic first and use a plastic primer.
Then paint how ever you want . Just a light sanding to rough it up.

If it was me I would use normal rattle can for the camo so if I don't like the way it turns out it's easy to remove . The clear duracoat over.

Back
Top Bottom