November 2020 Giveaway: Surplus Norinco SKS

Hi all,

I was the lucky winner of November's giveaway and am now the proud owner of a Surplus Norinco SKS. When I picked up the rifle from Mass Firearms, she was like all milsurps, thoroughly coated in cosmoline. This being my first milsurp I decided to do a little homework before diving into the cleaning and decided to watch Iraqveteran8888's YouTube video on disassembling, cleaning, and rebuilding an SKS from start to finish. Long story-short, I didn't run into any problems and the post-cleaning functional check went well. Turns out this particular SKS was made in 1968, which makes it only 4 years younger than me. Since my other rifle is a Mini-30, I have plenty of Russian steel candy around for my new SKS to chew on. Below are a couple of pics of the rifle after cleaning. I took it out for a brief spin on the range today, putting about 50 rounds through it with no problem at all. As can be expected after being stored for decades, the rifle needs to be re-zeroed (she hits low and to the left at 100yds), so I ordered a SKS/AK sight pusher from Amazon.com for $9 and will get her zeroed tomorrow. I'm very happy with this rifle and look forward to enjoying it for years to come.

Thanks NES!!!

Steve

SKS-1.jpgSKS-2.jpg

I have a bit of interest in the SKS. One thing I like to do for mine is to replace the original firing pin with a spring retarding firing pin. It helps prevent slam fire with a totally free floating firing pin.
Murray's guns in Texas has them. Congrats and best of luck.

One more point: Thank you so much for your "Post-Win" thread. I can't remember the last time I've read about an item won... Kudos to you!

Also, much thanks to our great sponsor Mass Firearms School | Firearms Safety Course in Holliston, MA and Admin, who makes a NES Membership even more worthwhile. Super Kudos!
~Enbloc

1607557310838.png

Last edited:
One more point: Thank you so much for your "Post-Win" thread. I can't remember the last time I've read about an item won... Kudos to you!

Also, thanks to our great sponsor Mass Firearms School | Firearms Safety Course in Holliston, MA and Admin, who makes a NES Membership even more worthwhile. Super Kudos!
~Enbloc

Seconded, on all counts.

I like knowing where this went, and knowing the new owner is going to take good care of it. Love my SKS. Congratulations!

I have a bit of interest in the SKS. One thing I like to do for mine is to replace the original firing pin with a spring retarding firing pin. It helps prevent slam fire with a totally free floating firing pin.
Murray's guns in Texas has them. Congrats and best of luck.
Why would you ever want to prevent slam fires?

Congrats and do not forget to oil it properly after each session.
It's an SKS, not a POS AR. it will run fine.

It's an SKS, not a POS AR. it will run fine.

agreed that I’ve enjoyed every slam fire that’s ever happened to me...but I guess I was lucky enough each time that they happened while I was actively shooting/aiming where I was supposed to.

So far an M1A, an AK and of all things a brand new S&W 1911 have all ‘run away’ on me at one point...never to happen again in any of them oddly enough.

agreed that I’ve enjoyed every slam fire that’s ever happened to me...but I guess I was lucky enough each time that they happened while I was actively shooting/aiming where I was supposed to.

So far an M1A, an AK and of all things a brand new S&W 1911 have all ‘run away’ on me at one point...never to happen again in any of them oddly enough.
I never had a slamfire issue with an SKS. I have a Yugo SKS so maybe it is different. The issue I had is that st one point the firing pin would fail to ignite maybe 1 out of 10 primers.

This was years ago, I posted in the mil surp forum and people gave me some ideas of what the issue was.

I have only had two run away guns. One was lucky, a Walther Target pistol (OSP or GSP) in .22 short. Shots stayed on paper....... everyone on the firing line gave me a rather icy stare. A full auto pistol tends to attract attention at RR&R.

The other was one of the early Auto Ordnance Thompson NIB. Did a run a way every mag, every time. The owner set in back.

Looking back, yeah I didn't enjoy a run away. Don't get me wrong between jumping/humping M60s - M16A1s, AK47 Loaners from JFK-IMA and BAR/ Suppressed MP40 at Panthera Training in WV.....I have had plenty of select fire trigger time. I'll stick to the guns designed for it.

Yet another gun i could kick myself for selling. I bought an unfired 1955 Russian SKS in a crate, coated in cosmo, still wrapped in wax paper. It came with the bayonet, sling, cleaning kit, oiler with pouch, stripper clips, and other stuff. I bought it from a buddy for $130. I didn't want it but he needed the money. A year or two later I sold it for $300.
I wonder what an unfired Russian SKS is going for today.

Yet another gun i could kick myself for selling. I bought an unfired 1955 Russian SKS in a crate, coated in cosmo, still wrapped in wax paper. It came with the bayonet, sling, cleaning kit, oiler with pouch, stripper clips, and other stuff. I bought it from a buddy for $130. I didn't want it but he needed the money. A year or two later I sold it for $300.
I wonder what an unfired Russian SKS is going for today.
Id guess $700 or more.

My first rifle was an SKS. Bought it at the Marlboro show in 1988 for $99 and got a thousand rounds of steel tip for $99. I've taken it a part and put it back together a number of times. Remember the position of the safety when taking it a part and putting it together, it makes a big difference. After about 20 years I came across this person who does trigger jobs and invested $70 into one and am very happy. Book mark this for the future:

Back
Top Bottom