Nothing worse than...

I dunno. I once drove 45 min to a range, got all set up on the bench then realized my rifle's bolt was on the workbench back home.
I would do stupid s*** like decide "hey here's the one day I'm going to actually bring a 22 pistol!!!!!" and then bring the pistol but arrove and discover i brought no magazines.... 🤣

Why would I do that for an organization that I am paying money to so as to use their services?
Private clubs are generally not for profit operations. If they job to that s*** out it would cost every member a substantial amount of money in dues. The question you should be asking is "would I like the alternative" which is probably a pay facility that gets $300-400+ for basic entry. "Member sweat" controls a lot of stupid costs.

If you help the 10 guys who do all the work at the club, the job will get done sooner & you can get to shooting quicker..... (instead of banging a U-ey & peeling out whilst being pissed at the guys who do all the work at your club) ;)
Wasn’t pissed at a soul. I did check the calendar on the clubs website and saw nothing. I asked how long the work was going on and was told if I came back around 1PM it would be good to go. El Presidente was literally waiting for me when I opened the door to step out of my truck.

Anyways I was able to go tonight and gotta say the CZ 75 P-01 is one smooth shooter. Reminds me of my Beretta 92 and ergonomics wise the only pistol I own that feels better in my hands is the VP9. Both my buddies enjoyed shooting it as well.

Private clubs are generally not for profit operations. If they job to that s*** out it would cost every member a substantial amount of money in dues. The question you should be asking is "would I like the alternative" which is probably a pay facility that gets $300-400+ for basic entry. "Member sweat" controls a lot of stupid costs.
Former club I was at did cost analysis about 8 maybe 10 years ago on what the dues would be if we had zero volunteers and had to pay for everything. The club treasurer at the time was a retired accountant.....and apparently very bored 😂. Came out to about 750 bucks a a year.....current dues at the time was $175.

Worst part about this is......we have members that bitch about the current dues price and never do anything.

Also now I see from reading this thread there are some that are blatantly saying they are currently paying a fair dues price and expect top notch access for that price and literally ...... "f*** you i pay you enough.....you do the cleanup". Even knowing that its volunteer work that keeps the dues prices down. 🙄

Fabulous.

Last edited:
Every time I go to the range I end up spending an hour cleaning up all the splintered wooden targets that people have shot through because they don't understand to use a backer the puts their targets above the wood. Less time shooting is money saved.... I guess?

Mass Rifle did that to me over the summer. Nothing on the calendar, then apparently there's a board of directors shoot on the outdoor range as soon as I get there. I was told I should've signed up for the "e-blast" (what boomer still uses that term?) to get the notification. I was livid.

WTF is a “board of directors shoot”? It reads…. Like there are different classes of members.

“E-blast” is the name of the software package or something, it’s not some term they came up with.

Every time I go to the range I end up spending an hour cleaning up all the splintered wooden targets that people have shot through because they don't understand to use a backer the puts their targets above the wood. Less time shooting is money saved.... I guess?
At a monthly general meeting a couple years ago a guy stood up during new business (new member only been at the club 2 maybe 3 months) and told the. Oard the bathrooms need to be cleaned more often. 😂

President lit him up.......told him the mop, bucket, toilet brush, and cleaning chemicals are in plain view in the corner and on the shelves in that bathroom......you want em cleaned more often? The solution is staring at you every time you go in there to take a dump. 😂

At a monthly general meeting a couple years ago a guy stood up during new business (new member only been at the club 2 maybe 3 months) and told the. Oard the bathrooms need to be cleaned more often. 😂

President lit him up.......told him the mop, bucket, toilet brush, and cleaning chemicals are in plain view in the corner and on the shelves in that bathroom......you want em cleaned more often? The solution is staring at you every time you go in there to take a dump. 😂

Wait... you guys have mirrors on the inside of the stall doors? That's a little weird.

We have over 200 members at my club, but it's always the same 8 - 10 people that show up for the work parties.
I find it less than amusing when there's someone shooting on a range when the cleanup crew shows up, then the shooter packs up and leaves.
Replying to my own post as a rant- I have always considered volunteering as being part of club. Cleanups are both an opportunity to meet and chat with new (and old) members you might not normally get a chance to talk with and to instill an ownership in the club.
I would also venture a guess that the involved members that show up for the cleanups are NOT the ones leaving trash on (and off) the range. Memorable leftovers from the past few years:
Gallon paint cans (with paint in them) shot up.
Laser printer and DVD player.
LCD TV (maybe 30"-40")- shot up and then the large pieces were hauled up and tossed over the backstop.
Huge Teddy Bear- stuffing everywhere.
Photo album- I don't remember if it was a wedding album or not.
I'm not even going to mention the mad crapper.

f#ck such club. seriously.

never be a part of something you hate. easier said than done, but, it is very much so.
people like to bitch here about tyranny - and the ROs is the closest representation of what real life tyranny is.
So bored old retired RO's busting balls = tyranny....hmmm, seems a little strong. 🙄

LOL, sorry OP- I'm in the camp of "nothing worse than members bitching about other people doing all the work to keep the club running." I do get that shut downs should be noted on a calendar and/or communicated via an email to the membership. Sounds like something that happened at my secondary club. They were just wrapping up a 22 NRL match that I missed seeing because it was on their Faceplant page. Said they'd be done ~1. I asked if I could help break down and clean up the course of fire- not because I'm a nice guy but because I knew it would get the range open sooner.

It's the same story at every club. For every one member contributing significant volunteer time, there are ten members who either bitch about things and/or come up with grandiose proposals for improvements yet offer zero help to implement them. "Let's run monthly XYZ matches at the club!" Are you going to organize and run it? "Uh, no- I don't have time for that but we really should offer more for the members."

This isn't a member sweat thing. This is five minutes a month jamming things out on google calendars which are completely free. Something they can do at their monthly/quarterly meetings-you know-those meetings when they are supposed to figure out when certain events happen and then record them? The boards for these clubs are similar to a small town's BoS. Mostly elected. I guess this range elected incompetents-should OP look in the mirror instead?

Point being-why pay money to an organization that is run by incompetents and can't communicate with the members?

What does the range's board do?

You know-the folks who decided X day was clean up day.
Your trying to redirect...nice try.

I admit that the calendar being off was a problem. I was referring to your blatant statement that you basically pay dues to an organization so never expect to have to do any work.

… Memorable leftovers from the past few years:
LCD TV (maybe 30"-40")- shot up and then the large pieces were hauled up and tossed over the backstop.
Fishfinder?

Volunteering is good depending on who you're volunteering for/with. I used to volunteer for my church regularly when I was younger. Eventually, dealing with a bunch of Greeks who start barking orders at you like you're their employee or constant authority dick measuring is why I say that in past tense lol

Sometimes its better to not get physically involved and make up for it via an extra donation or some other independent way. Even when it comes to pulling some weeds for a gun club, too many chefs in the kitchen can be frustrating......especially if they have a sense of entitlement because they volunteer more than you.

Replying to my own post as a rant- I have always considered volunteering as being part of club. Cleanups are both an opportunity to meet and chat with new (and old) members you might not normally get a chance to talk with and to instill an ownership in the club.
I would also venture a guess that the involved members that show up for the cleanups are NOT the ones leaving trash on (and off) the range. Memorable leftovers from the past few years:
We had a long term problem with the same crappy behavior that took installation of cameras and extra effort to squash. One of the more 'memorable' ones was a shot up bowling ball. I would probably have lost my sh!t if I encountered the person doing that. I generally keep the first conversation positive and friendly when somebody is being a bonehead at the range. Gloves come off for repeat offenders, but those are almost nonexistent. While we'll never be 100% successful and will always have to provide reminders, for the most part the old 'use the range as a junkyard shooting gallery' culture has been eliminated.

It's the same story at every club. For every one member contributing significant volunteer time, there are ten members who either bitch about things and/or come up with grandiose proposals for improvements yet offer zero help to implement them. "Let's run monthly XYZ matches at the club!" Are you going to organize and run it? "Uh, no- I don't have time for that but we really should offer more for the members."
Years ago I belonged to a pretty active m'cycle club. I was new to the club and not too involved. I had news of a not-to-advertised event at NHIS, and shared the info with the club president before the monthly meeting.
During the "new business" part of the meeting, the president surprised me and said "Ralph has some info about an upcoming event at NHIS. Ralph, stand up and tell the club members about the event, etc.". I stammered through it, but met a lot of club members that day.

We have over 200 members at my club, but it's always the same 8 - 10 people that show up for the work parties.
I find it less than amusing when there's someone shooting on a range when the cleanup crew shows up, then the shooter packs up and leaves.
I know cubicle commandos, retirees and people that work from home wont understand this, but some people who do physical jobs dont like to do physical labor on their days off.

Strange I know.

"Nothing worse than..."

You keep using that phrase. I do not think it means what you think it does.

whypeepo problems....

There's nothing worse than bringing your new bride home and discovering it's really a dude. . . . who prefers to play pitcher. [rofl]

Im a member at 3 as well.

One cost me 35 but is 25 mins and no work hours, but has a 400 yard rifle and great pistol setup. Backup option #2
One cost me 60 and is 10 mins and no work hours, that's my backup option #1
My main one cost me 60 dollars and 12 work hours and is only 10mins but has great facilities for shotgun and archery, a great pheasant program, and does a lot for youth, so i use my hours doing that and other things.

Total of 155 dollars a year and 12 work hours. Yeah....you need to be rolling in cash.

Last edited:
I know cubicle commandos, retirees and people that work from home wont understand this, but some people who do physical jobs dont like to do physical labor on their days off.

Strange I know.
Funny most of the guys that work at my club are the physical labor dudes......because they know how to do something or have a trade they can use to help. I'm not a tradesman, but can easily fix plumbing, electrical and do carpentry/roofing when needed. Still, there are big jobs that should be paid for because they are above and beyond simply volunteer, and they will never get done by just volunteers. Recognizing that fact, and organizing them is important.

But you are right.....I call it the 10% rule. if you have 200 members only 10% of them, will actually do anything.

We actually have a better record than that........but what some of those people that are super active forget is, yeah....I'm not showing up at cleanup day, if I work 3 hours a week at the skeet range, and I already do 100 hours a year. Other people should be stepping up and filling their hours in.

Back
Top Bottom