Notes on Loading the .30 Carbine

I set my trimmer up to 1.280 trim length when I did my large batch of mixed 1x fired they where all over 1.290" I have fired about 150 of the 2000 I loaded with out issue and use W296. I quickly measured 10 cases fired from these loads.
case measurements where from 1.280-1.288
Now the cases I trimmed where fired from many different guns and many where beyound 1.300"? loose chambers, thin brass, IDK. I have a mix of brass the bulk is LC and Aguila. I did not seperate by HS. as for accuracy my rounds and both rifle and shoot the black of a SR 1 @ 100 yds shooting prone. good enough for me!

I've got one of those Lee shell holders that attaches to my cordless drill then I insert the cutter and it trims to the minimum trim length. But I haven't used it yet as most of my brass seemed to below the max case length some were over but I loaded them anyway. Now that I've got some 2X fired cases, I'll make sure to measure and trim those this week.

All my brass is Remington and PPU but I only have ~400 cases (including the remaining unfired 250 PPU factory rounds) so I went on gunbroker and found 250 once fired mixed headstamps already tumbled for $38 shipped. Thought that was a decent price, be here tomorrow.

So for bullets, you stick with jacketed bullets mac? The price on the Berry's seems real good but not sure about performance. My reloads are accurate enough for me, hit my 10" steel plate at 120 yards every shot from a bench.

I'm really liking the results with 14.5 gr of H110. So what's with all the soot that's all over my brass after firing? I've read on other forums that since the brass is thick, it doesn't expand as well and causes a lot of the fouling to get blown back? The cases come out dirtier than any of my 357 mag, 9mm, 38 spl, x54r, x39 cases. Not a big deal but was just surprised how dirty they get which means I need to make sure I clean the gun regularly, not like my AK lol.

Last edited:
I've got one of those Lee shell holders that attaches to my cordless drill then I insert the cutter and it trims to the minimum trim length. But I haven't used it yet as most of my brass seemed to below the max case length some were over but I loaded them anyway. Now that I've got some 2X fired cases, I'll make sure to measure and trim those this week.

All my brass is Remington and PPU but I only have ~400 cases (including the remaining unfired 250 PPU factory rounds) so I went on gunbroker and found 250 once fired mixed headstamps already tumbled for $38 shipped. Thought that was a decent price, be here tomorrow.

So for bullets, you stick with jacketed bullets mac? The price on the Berry's seems real good but not sure about performance. My reloads are accurate enough for me, hit my 10" steel plate at 120 yards every shot from a bench.

I'm really liking the results with 14.5 gr of H110. So what's with all the soot that's all over my brass after firing? I've read on other forums that since the brass is thick, it doesn't expand as well and causes a lot of the fouling to get blown back? The cases come out dirtier than any of my 357 mag, 9mm, 38 spl, x54r, x39 cases. Not a big deal but was just surprised how dirty they get which means I need to make sure I clean the gun regularly, not like my AK lol.

I never have used plated bullets, so far no need. I cast my own or buy jacketed.
My cast loads in my carbine so far have been less than good and almost ok.
As far as sooty brass, I cant say mine come out clean but not dirty enough for me to bother cleaning my rife. Im not very anal about cleaning my shooters. The get a quick solvent pactch, dry and oil after a range trip. Then a wipe down of my 20 yr old rag that is impregnated with rem oil and clp. If I put a 100 rounds a year through my carbines thats on the high side.
I wasted to much time trying to develope a load with other bullets and powders when H110 or W296 loaded a 1/2 grain less than max and 110 gn bullets get the knod.

I went as far as trying some 110gn Vmax and SP bullets but they did not have any affect on accuracy I also loaded them to the point where they did not fit the mag. I was afraid to seat them deeper than the 110 carbine bullets.

I did how ever have some of those semi jacketed bullets that shot just as well as the jacketed. I used up the 500 or so I had very early in my carbine loading days. Found them at local club bulletin board for 8 cents ea.

I never have used plated bullets, so far no need. I cast my own or buy jacketed.
My cast loads in my carbine so far have been less than good and almost ok.
As far as sooty brass, I cant say mine come out clean but not dirty enough for me to bother cleaning my rife. Im not very anal about cleaning my shooters. The get a quick solvent pactch, dry and oil after a range trip. Then a wipe down of my 20 yr old rag that is impregnated with rem oil and clp. If I put a 100 rounds a year through my carbines thats on the high side.
I wasted to much time trying to develope a load with other bullets and powders when H110 or W296 loaded a 1/2 grain less than max and 110 gn bullets get the knod.

I went as far as trying some 110gn Vmax and SP bullets but they did not have any affect on accuracy I also loaded them to the point where they did not fit the mag. I was afraid to seat them deeper than the 110 carbine bullets.

I did how ever have some of those semi jacketed bullets that shot just as well as the jacketed. I used up the 500 or so I had very early in my carbine loading days. Found them at local club bulletin board for 8 cents ea.

Yeah I'm not too anal about cleaning my guns either, except for my stainless Ruger GP100 which I make sure I wipe down with a lead away polishing cloth to make it nice and shiny [laugh].

I think I'll just stick with the jacketed bullets for now and wait for more to get in stock.

Back
Top Bottom