Notarized Recommendation Letters (And I thought MA was bad!)

I just moved here from MA (Somerville in particular) where I have a Class A Unrestricted LTC (basically a Concealed Carry Permit).

RI seems like some kind of freakish nightmare that's somehow HARDER to get a concealed carry permit!

I'm sure I'll have a bunch of questions, but here's my first. The app says that "Three reference letters are required for new AND renewal applications...All three references are to type a letter for the applicant...that is SIGNED, DATED AND MUST BE NOTARIZED."

Are you guys getting your ref letters notarized?

I'm a business owner, NRA instructor, and contract for uncle Sam so I've got pretty good "demonstrable need" for a CCP...

Thanks for any help and guidance!

You must be looking at getting an AG permit. Yes, that non-sense started with the new AG, I didn't have to do it with my initial application. All they're trying to do is make it harder for you to get a permit hoping that more people won't bother.

If you jump through their hoops you'll get a permit. The easiest thing to do is rope in some new local friends into a reference letter cooperative. I've churned out several of these in the last year and I'm fortunate enough to have people around me willing to reciprocate.

Have you tried getting a town/city permit yet? Usually those are less of a pain than the AG permit.

-Mike

Have you tried getting a town/city permit yet? Usually those are less of a pain than the AG permit.

Assuming the town will issue. There are still some towns that refuse and tell you to go see the AG and others that will accept an application and crush it. It is getting a little better (and some recent litigation against towns has cleaned things up) but it is still a fight.

I submitted mine, got one letter of reference from a top law enforcement officer with dept letter head even that I notarized just in case including the other 2 references. I didn't want to give them a reason to deny me over something small like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I submitted mine, got one letter of reference from a top law enforcement officer with dept letter head even that I notarized just in case including the other 2 references. I didn't want to give them a reason to deny me over something small like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just curious, were you issued your CCW? and what town was this?

If the application requires a notarized letter you are better off getting it unless you have a lot of time and money to fight it in court (it is not a requirement to get a notarized reference letter though). Your bank will probably notarize for free, so just write up your own reference letter (unless the application says it can't be written by the applicant) and have them sign it. Simply state that to the best of their knowledge you are a law abiding citizen and meets all the statutory requirements to obtain a license.Unless you need to open carry, I recommend going through your town.

Back
Top Bottom