• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

(Not your typical) Holster Question

M1911 - were you referring to the holster above when you said this, or the MS Summer Special? If the above, am I wearing mine wrong? I have a similar holster for My Shield, and the clip fits over my Hanks Amish belt, so the only added thickness beyond the gun is a layer of kydex on either side. I have a Blade Tech for my 1911 with a similar layout to the Summer Special, and its loops definitely go under the belt, so I completely understand if that's what you meant. And yes, I plan to buy a couple hybrid holsters soon. These ones have been comfortable enough (privilege of being young and thin, perhaps?) so I've been focusing on building my ammo supplies before buying more holsters.

As long as the clip is opposite the gun, it is increasing the total depth from your skin to the outside of the clip.

That is true whether it is a clip, or flexible loops.

Now look at a Crossbreed holster:

SuperTuck_HH_sig229_wg.jpg

See the placement of the clips? They are closer to your skin than the clips on that minimalist holster.

It doesn't matter whether the holster uses flexible loops, like a Milt Sparks Summer Special, or a single Kydex loop, or flexible steel clips. What matters is the placement of those clips/loops. If they are on the body of the holster opposite the gun, then they increase the thickness of the holster. If they are on extended wings, then they don't.

As long as the clip is opposite the gun, it is increasing the total depth from your skin to the outside of the clip.

See the placement of the clips? They are closer to your skin than the clips on that minimalist holster.

+1. I carry with a "minimalist" leather holster IWB at the moment. Once I settle on a long term carry piece, I'll be getting a crossbreed or similar holster for it. Way more comfort and control.

Frank, my Garrett has the single clip as well, but it's a Glock 42 so it's really light. For a heavier gun like Glock 19 do you think you need the dual clip version?

I carry a Sig P938 as my EDC and it disappears on my hip with either holster. I don't think the same could be said for a larger piece. Like M1911 said, the clips or loops being on the wings of the holster definitely spread out the weight and make a larger gun easier and more comfortable to carry.

Last edited:
I carry a Sig P938 as my EDC and it disappears on my hip with either holster. I don't think the same could be said for a larger piece. Like M1911 said, the clips or loops being on the wings of the holster definitely spread out the weight and make a larger gun easier and more comfortable to carry.

I carry p938 and it's the best concealable weapon for that caliber.

Thanks, I was kinda thinking I should get a dual clip one (Silent Thunder Fusion), once I decide on which heavier gun I want to carry. I want to have some option besides the Glock 42.

Garrett Silent Thunder Fusion.

silent-thunder-fusion-2-jpg.7381

I carry iw appendix and use a Keepers Concealment Errand holster. Love it. It's one of his ready to ship holsters now. I waited 3 months for mine when he first launched them.

Simple single clip. Off and on. No bullshit snappy rings or clips. Not uncomfortable at all. I never wear under shirts either. Never have to worry about my shirts riding up in back and never have to worry about is my shirt baggy enough to conceal.

20141220_203855-300x300.jpeg

http://keepersconcealment.com/product/the-errand/

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I ordered a Com Tac M Tac holster online for my FS M&P 9, hated it, sent it right back. Then someone let me try their Milt SParks Versa Max II. Ordered one 1 hour later.

Frank, my Garrett has the single clip as well, but it's a Glock 42 so it's really light. For a heavier gun like Glock 19 do you think you need the dual clip version?

I am carrying a Sig 229 with a single clip in a Garret and it is great. I to have a learther belt from Andy and now I am going to order a garret for my g19

Now I'm clear with what you were saying, and agree. Thanks for clarifying.

I am carrying a Sig 229 with a single clip in a Garret and it is great. I to have a learther belt from Andy and now I am going to order a garret for my g19

Thanks, so you're sticking with the single clip? I do like how easy it is to take on and off with just one clip. Mine doesn't have the hybrid suede backing (Silent Thunder Solo), I might get that next time. I'm not that comfortable reholstering the Glock 42 at 4 oclock, so I usually pull the holster to reholster it.

I'm not that comfortable reholstering the Glock 42 at 4 oclock, so I usually pull the holster to reholster it.

I suggest that you do some dry practice, with an empty gun. You really do want to be able to holster one-handed. Make sure that your support hand stays on your belly while you holster.

I suggest that you do some dry practice, with an empty gun. You really do want to be able to holster one-handed. Make sure that your support hand stays on your belly while you holster.

Thanks yeah, i've been doing that, but not comfortable yet doing it with a round in the chamber. I'm fine with my USP Compact, something about the shape of the G42 holster makes me keep missing it.

Not sure what the obsession with ease of removing, re-installing a holster is. Mine stays on my belt. If I have to disarm (and that isn't often), the gun gets locked up but the holster stays put.

Not sure what the obsession with ease of removing, re-installing a holster is. Mine stays on my belt. If I have to disarm (and that isn't often), the gun gets locked up but the holster stays put.
Some people like removing it all together especially when appendix carrying and dropping a deuce at work...also having a TP dispenser to place it on makes it convenient. Beats the extra weight dangling off your pants and beats having to reholster the actual firearm each time because the holster is not easily removed from the belt.

Even when locked up (uh huh), it's stays in the holster the majority of the time.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

That's what I do, gun goes in safe, holster stays on belt, belt stays on pants.

Now I'm clear with what you were saying, and agree. Thanks for clarifying.

I second @Mesatchornug. Thanks @M1911. Didn't think about the thickness difference between the two.

Thanks for everyone else's input as well. I guess there aren't too many options (to say the least) to see/touch a high-end holster in the area.

The G43 is popular, so I think it would be pretty easy to resell any holster you don't like at a minimal loss. I thought I'd love the Incog for a G19 so I ordered it and waited a few weeks to get it. I tried it out for a day and hated it. Sold it pretty quick and considered the small loss a rental fee. Holsters with a waiting list will definitely sell quickly.

Back
Top Bottom