• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

(Not your typical) Holster Question

sbi

Yeah, I know, there is a new "what is the best holster" thread popping up every other week.

My question is: do you all buy your holsters online and then determine if you like them or not?
In other words - is there any place in MA (say east of 495 and north of the mass pike) / Southern NH that has a nice collection of high quality holsters that you can actually look at, touch, feel and decide if you like it?

Please don't recommend KTP, that's not what I am looking for. I don't find their holsters to be anything 'special', they are more like generic stuff that you can get off the shelf in any store and from what I read here, the better holsters are higher quality and more comfortable than off-the-shelf ones.

Thank you.

I've never seen a shop that had a decent selection of holsters. All of the holsters that I've seen at shops were crap - Galco, Fobus, Serpa, etc.

I've never seen a shop that had a decent selection of holsters. All of the holsters that I've seen at shops were crap - Galco, Fobus, Serpa, etc.

Agreed. Milt Sparks VM2. Very comfortabe, great fit to gun. Buy once, cry once.

Leather's big advantage over kydex is that it allows you to draw quitely

Agreed. Milt Sparks VM2. Very comfortabe, great fit to gun. Buy once, cry once.

Leather's big advantage over kydex is that it allows you to draw quitely

But these don't seem to be "minimalist" (I hope I am using the right word). Aren't they too bulky as IWB?

I just bought and received a garret industries holster for my p229. Kydex n the outside, leather on the inside.

i love it FWIW.

i am carrying a P229 in at shirt and shorts and I stood in front of 2 cops in Springfield at a movie theater and not printing at all.

For Kydex The Gun Parol in Worcester has a good selection of 508 holsters in stock, good quality and local to mass company. I've got an AIWB from them and a OWB.

Kydex is is like molded plastic, about 1/16-1/8" thick, leather is pretty self explanatory or you could do like a cross breed which is a leather backer against your skin for comfort and then the molded Kydex shell for the gun. I've never done leather or a hybrid personally.

For Kydex The Gun Parol in Worcester has a good selection of 508 holsters in stock, good quality and local to mass company. I've got an AIWB from them and a OWB.

Kydex is is like molded plastic, about 1/16-1/8" thick, leather is pretty self explanatory or you could do like a cross breed which is a leather backer against your skin for comfort and then the molded Kydex shell for the gun. I've never done leather or a hybrid personally.

How is Kydex on the skin (especially in the summer of course)?

Agreed. Milt Sparks VM2. Very comfortabe, great fit to gun. Buy once, cry once. Leather's big advantage over kydex is that it allows you to draw quitely

I had a VM-2. Very expensive. Complete pain in the neck to put on. Long wait time. And less comfortable than my Crossbreed.

How is Kydex on the skin (especially in the summer of course)?

Mine hasnt bothered me at all, been using this setup for over a year now, most discomfort I've found is just from the firearm digging into my stomache.. I only wear an undershirt about a 1/4 of the time.

I just bought and received a garret industries holster for my p229. Kydex n the outside, leather on the inside.

i love it FWIW.

i am carrying a P229 in at shirt and shorts and I stood in front of 2 cops in Springfield at a movie theater and not printing at all.

Love my Garrett as well for Glock 42. I like the quiet draw. Great service and theyre Texas based.

LAG Tactical OWB/IWB holsters seem to be the bee's knees. I'm a fat guy and carrying my Glock 19 in a LAG tactical holster IWB, right side is more comfortable than my Shield in a Longhorn leather holster. And it doesn't print any more that the Shield does. I highly recommend the LAG Tac system.

But these don't seem to be "minimalist" (I hope I am using the right word). Aren't they too bulky as IWB?

Not to me they aren't.

Few people will buy $150 holsters, they look for $25-40 holsters for their $700-1000 gun, so LGS won't carry the good stuff. Also the cost of inventory for so many model guns gets prohibitive for expensive holsters.

Therefore, mail order from mfr and wait.

I've been using either a Milt Sparks all leather VMII or a Garrett Industries Silent Thunder Kydex/Leather Lined holster for a few years now. IMO leather is almost always more comfortable than kydex but the Silent Thunder is pretty comfortable and a bit easier to put on/take off as it has a single kydex clip. The VMII has 2 leather belt loops with snap buttons that attach to your belt. I can slip the holster into my waist band and then snap the close buttons all with one hand - it just takes a little getting used too. Like Len-2A said, you have to spend a bit more to get a decent holster. IIRC, my Milt Sparks VMII with a couple of custom options cost me about $150.00 and the Garrett Industries Silent Thunder was about $85.00. I am happy with both purchases.

Not to me they aren't.

Few people will buy $150 holsters, they look for $25-40 holsters for their $700-1000 gun, so LGS won't carry the good stuff. Also the cost of inventory for so many model guns gets prohibitive for expensive holsters.

Therefore, mail order from mfr and wait.

I've been using either a Milt Sparks all leather VMII or a Garrett Industries Silent Thunder Kydex/Leather Lined holster for a few years now. IMO leather is almost always more comfortable than kydex but the Silent Thunder is pretty comfortable and a bit easier to put on/take off as it has a single kydex clip. The VMII has 2 leather belt loops with snap buttons that attach to your belt. I can slip the holster into my waist band and then snap the close buttons all with one hand - it just takes a little getting used too. Like Len-2A said, you have to spend a bit more to get a decent holster. IIRC, my Milt Sparks VMII with a couple of custom options cost me about $150.00 and the Garrett Industries Silent Thunder was about $85.00. I am happy with both purchases.

I suppose the "minimalist" needs explanation:

It does not refer to a cheap, not-"sophisticated", high-end holster. By minimalist I refer to the size of the holster. For example a narrow, not much wider than the gun itself, with probably 1 belt clip, as oppose to wider holsters, those that expand way beyond the gun shell itself with two belt clips, like the VM2

So something like this with a single clip

Tulster-G43-holster.jpg

Vs. a wider one like the VM2 with two clips:

Versa-Max-2-big.jpg

That was my reference to 'minimalist' [grin]

Thanks.

I have a crossbreed super tuck deluxe. Been great since 2009?
Belt from Andy's Leather here on NES.
I often find myself out side waist band carrying more often and just wear shirts that cover well.
For this I have a old leather rig and a kydex style holster....think it's a uncle Mike's? All keep the pistol high and tight
Most shops don't have a lot of selection.
There is a police,fire,EMT supply store in Rockland Ma that has/had a pretty large selection.

One tip look for a used holster box at shops. Sometimes you might find something that works or at least get a good idea of what doesn't.

Last edited:
The Garrett Silent Thunder has other nice features like an adjustable cant for forward/backwards adjustment and tension screws for how firm the holster holds the firearm - not bad for $85.00...

Edit: Link to photo not working.

Edit again - here's a poached photo of my set up:

u5a4esu3.jpg

Last edited:

MS has an option for Kydex style clips now. No pictures so don't know how minimal they might be.

Sbi, 2 loops helps stabilize the holster and gun to not twist vertically. The MS Summer Special 2 is thinner and excellent (carried my FS 1911 in it for 2+ years). It has two loops but very close together. Some models are stock at Brownells as well.

For a G43 iwb I actually love my blackhawk size5. It's hard to beat comfort wise as its just a cheap softside holster. I have an alpha concealment prometheus holster which is about the same size but kydex. I still prefer the cheapo blackhawk for daily comfort.

Your minimalist design actually turns out to be less comfortable than the larger, wider design.

That minimalist design puts the clip between the gun and the belt, thus making the whole thing thicker side to side. So it sticks out farther from your side.

In contrast, the wider design of the VM2 or Crossbreed, puts the clips on the wings. As a result, it doesn't stick out as far from your side.

In addition, the "minimalist" design spreads the belt tension out over a small area, resulting in more pressure on your side. The wider designs have a much larger surface area, so that same belt tension is spread out over a larger area.

I've got a bunch of those "minimalist" style IWB holsters, custom crafted by a talented holster maker in high quality leather. Not one of them approaches the comfort of a Crossbreed. Yes, the Crossbreed isn't pretty. Yes, the Crossbreed is not handcrafted. But it sure is comfortable.

I have PJ Holsters deep concealment kydex holsters for my carry guns. The clip is integrated into the 1 piece design, so there is no extra bulk/width. I use a 30 degree cant for my Shield, like the picture below(but black). They are the most comfortable I have found and they do a great job minimizing any printing.

When I carry iwb it's with an original alien gear hybrid. Comfy with a shield and reasonably so with a G19. Also have a desantis cozy partner for my shield. Good quality but I don't like it as much as the ag. Carry owb about 90% of the time though.

So something like this with a single clip

View attachment 174076

That minimalist design puts the clip between the gun and the belt, thus making the whole thing thicker side to side. So it sticks out farther from your side.

M1911 - were you referring to the holster above when you said this, or the MS Summer Special?

If the above, am I wearing mine wrong? I have a similar holster for My Shield, and the clip fits over my Hanks Amish belt, so the only added thickness beyond the gun is a layer of kydex on either side.

I have a Blade Tech for my 1911 with a similar layout to the Summer Special, and its loops definitely go under the belt, so I completely understand if that's what you meant.

And yes, I plan to buy a couple hybrid holsters soon. These ones have been comfortable enough (privilege of being young and thin, perhaps?) so I've been focusing on building my ammo supplies before buying more holsters.

Frank, my Garrett has the single clip as well, but it's a Glock 42 so it's really light. For a heavier gun like Glock 19 do you think you need the dual clip version?

Back
Top Bottom