Not your daddy's airgun

CF in such application does make me very uncomfortable, yes.
The tank there does seem like something proprietary made for the gun, not a generic wider body paintball design, and i do not quite like the way how it is mounted also.
but, to each his own. it was only my first impression, i looked at it and thought - well, that is designed to get off with a bang.
totally reasonable.

to be clear, that part was more rhetorical than directed specifically at you. My point was simply that this is not a novel technology, I wouldn't be surprised if they simply contracted a company that already makes tanks for scuba, paintball, etc. to make these as well. Standing on the shoulders of giants, and all

it is not a matter of valve, it is a matter of the tank material to handle only certain count of inflations until structural stress builds up to the limit. 4500psi is quite a bit.
especially if you run in the forest and, say, hit a rock of something with it on your side/back.
What if you wound100 turns of Gorilla tape around it? LOL. I'd stick to the steel tanks and have them tested periodically like we did back when. Jack.

No, you don't need to be a certified diver to get tanks filled for airguns/paintball. Most shops will refill. And CF tanks are no more dangerous than the firearm you have that Biden thinks might try to shoot someone all by itself or the crap ton of ammo you have that people think will blow up in a fire like an ammo dump. Like Scuba tanks, air tanks have to be hydro tested every so many years. Again, just take to a shop and they will do it. CF air tank technology has been around for quite some time so no issues there.

Isn't this a gun forum? I mean those things are cute and all, but c'mon man!
:p It's NorthEast Shooters, not NorthEast powderburners. Airguns are classified as firearms in Rhode Island and several other states.
Let me know when they make 'em in 50 BMG
There several commercial air rifles which would be regulated as a DD if a powderburner, launching a .510 caliber, +520-grain lead slug with as much as 800 foot-pounds at the muzzle. That's heavier than a BMG bullet.

Last edited:
Actually I just ordered and just received a Walther Rein UXT in 25. It's rated at 870fps with I believe 31 grn rounds. I should say most of my order came in earlier this week. Couple of points thus far. The hand pump was a waste of money. $140 would have been better spent on 9mm. I ordered a mini high pressure compressor. So far all told I'm into this for $1300. The compressor was almost $400. So far I've only put one magazine through it. I'm at the bottom end of BAR which is 150. I need to be up around 200BAR. I don't know what BAR is (sounds like a commie plot like 9mm and the metric system). My compressor should be in tomorrow but I'm working so I won't be able to mess with it until Saturday at the earliest. The few rounds I put through it definitely had a serious thump to it. According to my wife it sounds like a nail gun. That's with the suppressor. If anyone is interested I'll give an update when I get some rounds through it and get a good feel for it. As far as the strength of a CF tank we use CF at work on our scba's and have for better then 12yrs. I've had some pretty intense fires and never had an issue or heard of anyone having an issue and I've had gear melt on me several times.

Just go to the Airgun Nation forum. You’ll find everything you need there. It’s the NES of Airguns. There is an absolute ton of manufacturers to choose from. It’s not like years ago when there was Benjamin, Daisy and Crosman. There are forums on PCP, springers, CO2, pump, etc., hunting, compressors and tanks, Etc etc.

Actually I just ordered and just received a Walther Rein UXT in 25. It's rated at 870fps with I believe 31 grn rounds. I should say most of my order came in earlier this week. Couple of points thus far. The hand pump was a waste of money. $140 would have been better spent on 9mm. I ordered a mini high pressure compressor. So far all told I'm into this for $1300. The compressor was almost $400. So far I've only put one magazine through it. I'm at the bottom end of BAR which is 150. I need to be up around 200BAR. I don't know what BAR is (sounds like a commie plot like 9mm and the metric system). My compressor should be in tomorrow but I'm working so I won't be able to mess with it until Saturday at the earliest. The few rounds I put through it definitely had a serious thump to it. According to my wife it sounds like a nail gun. That's with the suppressor. If anyone is interested I'll give an update when I get some rounds through it and get a good feel for it. As far as the strength of a CF tank we use CF at work on our scba's and have for better then 12yrs. I've had some pretty intense fires and never had an issue or heard of anyone having an issue and I've had gear melt on me several times.
1 bar is 100 kPa or about 1 atm or about 14.5 psi

:p It's NorthEast Shooters, not NorthEast powderburners. Airguns are classified as firearms in Rhode Island and several other states.

There several commercial air rifles which would be regulated as a DD if a powderburner, launching a .510 caliber, +520-grain lead slug with as much as 800 foot-pounds at the muzzle. That's heavier than a BMG bullet.

Totally with you, until this:

That's heavier than a BMG bullet.

It's not. M33 ball is 660 grain. Hornady Amaxs are 750.

Depends on your budget but yes it’s very expensive like all hobbies these days. A high end PCP like the FX pictured above is $1.5K-3K. A carbon fiber 4500 psi tank is $600. It can be refilled at a scuba shop for $15 or you can spend $1K on a high pressure compressor. But you get the freedom to shoot in your back yard and with suppressors (1st circuit of all courts ruled suppressors are ok for air rifles because they are not firearms). You do need a robust backstop as the FX and others sling a .30 cal pellet at 900 FPS.

What projectile weight? How much muzzle energy? Can I legally mount one on a drone?

I've got a benjamin marauder in .22. I love that thing. I've been wanting a .25 cal FX. And i'd be full of crap if I didn't say I'd been looking hard at the seneca dragon claw .50 cal with the arrows. But I have been following and waiting for the Umarex Hammer .50 repeater to be released. $900 for the Umarex is a hefty chunk, but... a 550 grain lead slug at 760 FPS does 700 ft. lbs. of energy, and a 250 grain slug at 1000 fps doing 555 ft. lbs is Rx. enough for critters I'd want to thump with it.

Also.... this looks fun as well...

one-eyed Jack said

I'd stick to the steel tanks and have them tested periodically like we did back when. Jack.​

If my memory serves, the steel tanks were maxed out at 1300PSI. These things are running 4500.

The alum/carbon fiber tanks have been around for over 20 years and they are what the fire fighters strap onto their backs and run into burning buildings. With the one costly failure of a tank exploding after it had been exposed to a variety of chemicals, causing NYNY Fire to completely change their handling for refilling tanks. That tank went off inside the cab of a fire engine when nobody was on board. It looked like an IED wen off inside.

Can I legally mount one on a drone?
Since they are classified as a non firearm, it certainly should be.

Question: Are these on board cylinders carrying a hydro test stamp?

one-eyed Jack said

If my memory serves, the steel tanks were maxed out at 1300PSI. These things are running 4500.

The alum/carbon fiber tanks have been around for over 20 years and they are what the fire fighters strap onto their backs and run into burning buildings. With the one costly failure of a tank exploding after it had been exposed to a variety of chemicals, causing NYNY Fire to completely change their handling for refilling tanks. That tank went off inside the cab of a fire engine when nobody was on board. It looked like an IED wen off inside.

Since they are classified as a non firearm, it certainly should be.

Question: Are these on board cylinders carrying a hydro test stamp?
my benjamin doesn't seem to have a stamp. I'll look at it closer. But it's been a fantastic, but heavy rifle. And a heck of a shooter for the past two years.

Scuba tanks go up to about 3400 psi. You want CF paintball tanks that go up to 4500 psi. All tanks are required to be hydro tested periodically. There are no safety issues with tanks and they have typical safety release pressure valves. And the cylinders and tanks on the rifles also have life spans as well but they are small and super robust. 10m airgun competition has been around forever. Look up anschutz, feinwerkbau, hammerli, walther at Champion’s Choice. Crazy expensive for competition air rifle and pistol. Way more expensive than the average fudd’s M&P, Mossy or Remmy.

442A17CE-D524-4E7E-8AFD-BF01984F84B5.jpegI like air guns , im a old school type though.
Very partial to the old 1400/140
This one is a late 60s 1400 22 cal , modified a bit . Its my go to garden /pest control
18 gn 22cal 8 pumps 725fps a wimp in todays standards.
Also have a modified Benjamin Discovery 22cal I bought the discover for its low PSI operation 2000psi its easy to use a hand pump to keep it topped off.
Also have a daisy 853 10m target rifle its more thsn accurate enough to test your skills and keep the rust off if you cant get to the range regularly. If I had extra cash to burn a nice 25 cal or 30 cal air rifle might find its way in.
For now 177-22 cal is fine for my needs 90% of my air gun needs are in the basement and garden. My longest shot from the deck is about 70 yards
I have some more classics in the closet

Last edited:
There is a ton of stuff out there. Here’s the Leshiy 2 I mentioned earlier. Can get it in many different configurations. Semi-auto.
830A1EAA-A86E-40C7-94C8-31B1D041BF15.jpeg1A2B3D8A-F0B0-4E10-94E6-BA4A7CB52C24.jpeg
There are also a lot of old school rifles out there that are nice.

Here’s a tried and true Weihrauch hw100 laminate.

E1742A11-072F-4CAE-88E4-70EC12AD20D8.jpeg

Tons of options to choose from these days and with the energy the big bore PCPs put out, a lot of options for hunters of larger game. Most calibers are now .177, .22, .25 and .30. But the big bores start at .30 and typically include .45 and .50. You get maybe 3-4 shots from a .45 or .50 before needing to refill. Can carry small “guppy” CF tanks in the field if you are a hunter, though most hunters aren’t taking a lot of shots in the field.

I Have a Benjamin .25 Cal PCP. It is a blast to shoot, and quiet. The two stage hand pump to get the chamber pressure to 3,000 psi is No Fun! If I shot it more I would go the tank / compressor route.
Low end compressors like Air Venturi Nomad would set you back $5-600, but (from experience) it transforms the experience for you and sets you up to be shooting hundreds of rounds without worries. They state that it isn't designed to fill pressure bottles, but I can confirm that the Nomad regularly refills an 18 cu ft carbon fiber bottle without trouble in about 15 minutes...

Just bumping this up. I finally got out to use my Walther Reign 25 pcp. I wanted to get a couple of range sessions in to get a good feel for this. Now I bought this as a bundle package through Pryamyd Air. The package was about a thousand. The hand pump which was part of the package was $140. A complete waste of money. I ended out buying a chi com compressor through the evil Amazon which was around $380. The compressor takes about 3minutes to fill the on board tank which is 3300psi. I only got two brands of pellets in that I ordered. The rest are on back-order. So was the by-pod. I was able to do better then 1 inch groups at 25yds with predator poly mags which are 26grn. I'm getting about 50 rnds per tank. While I was at the range I brought my Ruger 10/22 to do a little comparison. I had a couple of water jugs and coconuts to shoot at. I figured if it can punch through a coconut it would punch through a raccoon pretty good. which I've been getting a few of that are making a mess of my trash. While it wasn't as powerful as a 22 (at least with what I had available to me and with what I saw) it also wasn't far behind. In the end I've had a blast with it (pun intended) and spent some time at the range. I can break things up with this at the range and use just enough ammo to stay somewhat proficient with my defensive guns and not dig deep into my ammo stash.

Just bumping this up. I finally got out to use my Walther Reign 25 pcp. I wanted to get a couple of range sessions in to get a good feel for this. Now I bought this as a bundle package through Pryamyd Air. The package was about a thousand. The hand pump which was part of the package was $140. A complete waste of money. I ended out buying a chi com compressor through the evil Amazon which was around $380. The compressor takes about 3minutes to fill the on board tank which is 3300psi. I only got two brands of pellets in that I ordered. The rest are on back-order. So was the by-pod. I was able to do better then 1 inch groups at 25yds with predator poly mags which are 26grn. I'm getting about 50 rnds per tank. While I was at the range I brought my Ruger 10/22 to do a little comparison. I had a couple of water jugs and coconuts to shoot at. I figured if it can punch through a coconut it would punch through a raccoon pretty good. which I've been getting a few of that are making a mess of my trash. While it wasn't as powerful as a 22 (at least with what I had available to me and with what I saw) it also wasn't far behind. In the end I've had a blast with it (pun intended) and spent some time at the range. I can break things up with this at the range and use just enough ammo to stay somewhat proficient with my defensive guns and not dig deep into my ammo stash.
25 cal pellets= JSBs are generally very good all around.
My friends been using HN 35 grain hollow points they are more like bullets than pellets.
26 grain pellet at 850-1000fps is about 60-75ftlbs , put the shot where it matters and racoons will be no problem.
Probably good enough for small coyote

25 cal pellets= JSBs are generally very good all around.
My friends been using HN 35 grain hollow points they are more like bullets than pellets.
I would love to try those but like most of the ammo I ordered it was on back order. I expect to get the rest of my order in the next two to three weeks.

I would love to try those but like most of the ammo I ordered it was on back order. I expect to get the rest of my order in the next two to three weeks.
Yeah even before this mess I had to back order my last batch of JSBs

good thing now is theres alot of bullet molds for air rifles NOE had a good selection.
What I dont know is if some air rifle barrels have different rifling and twist rates for the different types of bullets vs pellets

diabolo style pellets dont really need alot of spin to stabalize they rely on the nose heavy design for that and skirt helps seal up the pellet to the bore

Last edited:
Yeah even before this mess I had to back order my last batch of JSBs

good thing now is theres alot of bullet molds for air rifles NOE had a good selection.
What I dont know is if some air rifle barrels have different rifling and twist rates for the different types of bullets vs pellets

diabolo style pellets dont really need alot of spin to stabalize they rely on the nose heavy design for that and skirt helps seal up the pellet to the bore
I'm thinking (always dangerous) that there is a difference between pellets and bullets (slugs). I ordered several brands and only two came in so far. One was a pellet (predator poly mags) the other was a slug. The pellets shot around an inch at 25yds with the occasional flyer. The slugs were all over the map with no rhyme nor reason as to where they were hitting.

I'm thinking (always dangerous) that there is a difference between pellets and bullets (slugs). I ordered several brands and only two came in so far. One was a pellet (predator poly mags) the other was a slug. The pellets shot around an inch at 25yds with the occasional flyer. The slugs were all over the map with no rhyme nor reason as to where they were hitting.
Have not gone beyond 22 cal myself yet ,
Know a few with 25,30 cal and 9mm

for what its wirth Cape Gun Works has a few options of pellets from 177 to 25 cal
I picked up Norma Match to try

Haven’t gone there myself, but I understand that slugs require a different barrel (twist rate?) than Diablo pellets in the same caliber. Friend with FX Impact has separate barrel sleeves in .25 for pellets and slugs. Both group half inch at 50 yds...

Back
Top Bottom