• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Not to beat a dead horse about holsters and iwb carry but

I'm 19 and just received my cwl in idaho(a big dealand it only took a 2 hour conversation with sheriff and persistent nagging and pain in the ass) I have a sw j frame 642 and a mp40 fullsize. I've oc'd all 3. But in the summer the fullsized guns are cumbersome. I love my 642. And have a nice owb holster. But I'm looking to go iwb. I'm 6'1 385lbs. I'm arguing with myself between what I should do for a holster. I do have a buddy who ordered iwb from 508 and he loves it. I'm also debating on a glock 19 or 42. I'm kind of OCD(don't like scratchy shirts and material I find uncomfortable. At a good price point who makes a decent holster. I've looked at Desantis, tagua, black hawk, galco, I'd like to keep it leather. I've heard kydex can be rough on guns(want to keep my 642 somewhat nice) I have also considered pocket carry for the 642 with a nice pocket holster as it does fit in the pocket quite nicely. Any suggestions would be much appreciated and input from bigger guys who know how I feel

Last edited:
I have a Crossbreed Super Tuck or Galco King Tuck for just about every handgun I own, but I have to tell you that IWB carry sucks. Especially if you are a big guy and want to carry even a medium sized handgun. Even with a very good belt, which is a must, there will always be some position that the firearm will be uncomfortable.

In cooler weather months I carry OWB with an un-tucked shirt over the gun. If it is warm weather, like shorts weather, I carry a Kahr PM9 in a pocket holster with a spare mag in the opposite pocket or cargo pocket.

If I have to carry IWB I prefer a thin pistol like a 1911. I also like carrying in a shoulder rig in cold weather especially if I am going to be in the truck a lot. Very comfortable, two spare mags, and easy access to your gun while driving.

It will take a while to figure out what works for you.

I have several crossbreed supertuck holsters and they are excellent. I recently discovered alien gear holsters and am sticking with them from now on. The materials seem to be sturdier with alien gear and the price is 1/3 of what the crossbreed cost. Check them out. I got a G-19 IWB holster from them for $25.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

FYI: I make pocket holsters (leather only).

Inbox me if I can assist.

Andy

PS Your gun will wear, it happens. It's a good trade off, a bit of holster and piece of mind vs. no wear and no defense! ;)

FYI: I make pocket holsters (leather only).

Inbox me if I can assist.

Andy

PS Your gun will wear, it happens. It's a good trade off, a bit of holster and piece of mind vs. no wear and no defense! ;)

Buy local (at least local for us Northeastern'ers) and work with Andy. I've heard nothing but great things and he is the guy I'm going to call when I finally get my wheel gun for carry.

I'm a transplant I'm from Massachusetts. Made my escape in November. My mom was quite dismayed when I told her only 2 ways I'm going back to mass is on vacation or In a casket. I start work Monday with a local gunsmith. I'm trying to stay as low priced as possible while still being good

I'm a transplant I'm from Massachusetts. Made my escape in November. My mom was quite dismayed when I told her only 2 ways I'm going back to mass is on vacation or In a casket. I start work Monday with a local gunsmith. I'm trying to stay as low priced as possible while still being good
thats the spirit!
check out these guys for all leather holsters, made in the USA, with guaranteed American hide, and no illegal workers involved:
http://shop.captain-itch.com/Gun-Holsters_c30.htm

You can get an additional 10% off if you register on HDforums (free) and give them your screen name there. Great customer service too (Isabelle is a sweetheart).

If you're really looking for comfort, you should look at http://www.firearmholster.com/. Instead of backing the holster with more leather, they put a layer of fleece against the back, which is super comfortable. Then they sew a thin layer of rubber into the holster to prevent sweat damage to the leather. They also designed the holster so you can take off the clip and wear it OWB if you like. I have a holster from them for my XDm, and I'm SUPER happy with it.

Otherwise, I like Comp-Tac. The Minotaur MTAC has a second layer of leather on the back of the holster up - it's a little bulkier than the more 'minimalist' holsters like the Crossbreed, but it's exceedingly comfortable against your skin.

I'm . . . in idaho . . . At a good price point who makes a decent holster. . . .
While "good price point" is purely subjective and everyone has their own concept of what those words mean, don't overlook Jim Ryan in Emmett, ID (jrcholster.com, and he has a Facebook page). His gun leather is second to none.

Concealment wise does pocket offer good concealment? It just seems more convienent. But again a good iwb shouldn't be to bad either

- - - Updated - - -

30$ is where I'd like to be but again if it's comfortable I'd go more

This X1000. The new Alien Gear with the comfort backing are a soft on your skin as a baby's bottom. It comes with different size spacers for different levels of retention. I just got one with plastic clips for my Sig 938. For a little heavier gun, I would go with the metal clip up grade

Dam now I gotta order a new one, I have the old one, but also have a little fox with a comfort back and its awesome. I don't like the plastic clips thou would definitely get metal. I'd like to know why they recommend the plastic

Last edited:
MTAC from Comp-tac

I have several. you can tuck you shirt in with them too if so inclined....probably only with a very small gun though realistically.

1) Get a crossbreed holster.
2) Stop worrying about your 642 getting scratched. Any gun that is used will see some wear. Any gun that gets put in a holster will get scratched. A worn gun is a loved gun and your 642 isn't a collector's item.

You can concealed carry at 19 out there? That is awesome. Ignore my #MassPrudence

(11) The sheriff of a county may issue a license to carry a concealed weapon to those individuals between the ages of eighteen (18) and twenty-one (21) years who in the judgment of the sheriff warrant the issuance of the license to carry a concealed weapon. Such issuance shall be subject to limitations which the issuing authority deems appropriate. Licenses issued to individuals between the ages of eighteen (18) and twenty-one (21) years shall be easily distinguishable from regular licenses.

I've heard nothing but good things about Alien Gear. They're like the LL Bean of holsters in that they replace your holster if you ever change what gun you carry or if the holster ever gets damaged. And at their already reasonable price, it's a no brainer if you ask me.

I am a big guy myself. The best IWB I've found is made by a guy with a small shop in North Carolina. "Two Fools Leather Goods". Guy's name is Curt Gillock. It is a crossbreed style holster. He uses thick, smooth harness leather. All the edges are rounded off nicely so they don't dig in anywhere. He lines the inside of the kydex with thin leather so you get the retention of the kydex but nothing but leather touches the gun. I've bought 4 different holsters from him. One OWB all leather and 3 IWB and each one was made to order and I had them in about a week. His cell number is 704-242-1507. He also makes the best gun belt I've ever owned made from the same leather and it's designed without a buckle to cut into my gut. I'm 5'11", 300 lbs. so I feel your pain. He does most of his holsters in a "combat cut" but will do a "comfort cut", which I prefer. The leather backs the entire gun, grip and all. The combat cut leaves the grip exposed to your skin. If you order a belt and a holster, He'll give you a package deal. PM me for more info or pictures. I carry a full sized M&P 9mm comfortably while driving at least 8 hours a day. I also cary a j-frame.

Last edited:
Dude, you're 19 and weigh 400 pounds? Maybe you should call the Patriots. Vince is getting on in years.

I ordered an Alien Gear 2.0 the other day for my Shield 9mm.
After they stated 4-6 weeks delivery I went on Ebay and ordered a IWB leather holster just so I can have something while I wait for the A.G.

Back
Top Bottom