• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Not to be a dumazz, but!

So I finally have a completed rifle. After my bypass surgery at this time last year I bought two stripped lowers. Well one is now a rifle and my question is this. My rifle is chambered in 5.56 and I am aware that .223 can be fired out of this chamber, but should I ? I know from hanging here that I should buy a bunch of different stuff to see what the gun likes to eat. I am wondering though if I should stick to 5.56 Nato ammo as a rule and only go for .223 as range fodder or because of a good price to be had. I never shot an AR before and will be shopping for some bulk ammo for this rifle once I sort this all out. It is not an expensive set up cause I'm kind of poor these days [sad] so don't poke fun. I have posted a pic so someone don't post the [pics] thing. It's a Spikes lower with a Anderson LPK from a group buy here a Bushmaster Patrolman upper with a Anderson carbine length mil spec buffer ext. and Magpul MOE stock. Not the best but I like it.

DSCF1663.jpg

In general, 5.56NATO has a higher pressure than .223, Conventional logic is that you can use .223 in a 5.56 chamber, but not the other way 'round.

Where in NH are you" (Approximately?)

Nice build.
5.56 vs .223 shouldn't make any difference in that rifle if you are just looking at plinking ammo, the only difference will be to your wallet, so buy what you can find a good deal on.
generally if you want high performance, match type ammo it will be in .223 (from my experience) and should run just fine through your gun.

I never shot an AR before and will be shopping for some bulk ammo for this rifle once I sort this all out. It is not an expensive set up cause I'm kind of poor these days [sad] so don't poke fun. It's a Spikes lower with a Anderson LPK from a group buy here a Bushmaster Patrolman upper with a Anderson carbine length mil spec buffer ext. and Magpul MOE stock. Not the best but I like it.

View attachment 151763

As long as it works for you, it doesn't need to be expensive. Just have fun shooting it!

If I'm shooting for fun I run cheap .223 . Looking for groups higher end 556

Just be clear: What are you using that is considered high end 5.56 ?
I am quilty of the confusion that can come from the 223/556 Few things I dont know clearly though
1. was M193 every a NATO round or just US military, From what I think I know the 5.56 NATO is 62gn green tip(M855)
2. I know the new 5.56 77gn offerings are suposed to be better in overall accuracy and maintaining velocity for extended down range performance.

I for one have had very little "accuracy" from any "5.56 NATO" is it good for minute of man, yes.
I have yet to get my hands on any quantity of the 5.56 77gn fodder to test it out although for what it cost you can get PPU match a little cheaper and that does well out of my match rifle

Also have the standards of accuracy tightened up considerably for the new 5.56 77gn ?

Last edited:
Just be clear: What are you using that is considered high end 5.56 ?
I am quilty of the confusion that can come from the 223/556 Few things I dont know clearly though
1. was M193 every a NATO round or just US military, From what I think I know the 5.56 NATO is 62gn green tip(M855)
2. I know the new 5.56 77gn offerings are suposed to be better in overall accuracy and maintaining velocity for extended down range performance.

I for one have had very little "accuracy" from any "5.56 NATO" minute of man yes.
I have yet to get my hands on any quantity of the 5.56 77gn fodder to test it out although for what it cost you can get PPU match a little cheaper and that does well out of my match rifle

I've gotten some of the 77gn match ammo that came about for the mk12 program.

You can find brass cased 5.56 for about .30 a round. You can get the steel case tula or wolf for close to .20 a round. For plinking, other than possible wear issues with the steel, either will work. The steel case is also usually coated which could lead to additional cleaning. i like the Wolf gold 223 or the ZQI 5.56, both are brass and both are relatively cheap.

I would start by getting some .223 in both brass and steel, some M193, and some M855. See what the rifle likes and doesn't like.

My rifle did Ok with brass .223, great with the M193 and M855, but wouldn't play with steel cased stuff. 150 rounds later, it works great with anything brass and mostly works with the steel cased stuff.

Other than the recoil increasing slightly as you move up the range from .223 to M193 to M855 I haven't really seen any difference. They all go bang and make almost identical groups at 100 yards. See what works for you and your rifle.

Back
Top Bottom