not sure what to think about this guy

i agree (not with the article), that guns should be allowed on college campuses...i understand this guy was shot, and that may have soured any opinion he may have had about guns...although, on the other hand, i can't imagine that this guy doesn't think that if the 1st person shot actually was carrying a gun, maybe 32 people would be alive today who otherwise aren't...

anyway, unfortunately he's been gobbled up by the brady campaign...just would like to know your guys opinions on the matter.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/01/03/goddard.college.guns/index.html?hpt=C2

We all know that this will never fly in MA, but in places like texas, colorado, and other states out west, It possibly could happen and i hope it does.

it will be hard fought battle seeing as how many irresponible thing college kids do on college campuses. I can tell you theres heavy alcohol and substance abuse on college and community college campuses. And there are numerous people who i see on my college campus that i would never trust a firearm too. But that isnt here nor there because it not my decison that they own firearms or not.

All i can say is if it does get approved to allow CC on campuses, i would do it. I doesnt have to be on my hip, it could be in my backpack out of sight or in a pocket. But once again we have to worry about people being responsible.

Colin Goddard has taken advantage of the fact that he was shot to become one of the directors of legislative affairs at the Brady Campaign (formerly Handgun Control Inc). He was a helpless victim that day, and rather than try to do anything which would actually prevent future tragedies, he has simply taken up the Brady talking-points and set out to make sure everyone is as helpless as he was.

It's a shame a psychopath shot him, but he's drawn exactly the wrong conclusions from it. Either because of those conclusions, or just because everyone needs a paycheck, he's a professional gun-controller now.

I have absolutely nothing nice to say about the man, and if this wasn't a public forum, would likely say things considerably less civil.

Last edited:
I know what to think of him: he's an anti D-bag. Anyone not for freedom is against it imo. People like that just play on emotions to restrict all our rights. The worst kind of person really.

All i can say is if it does get approved to allow CC on campuses, i would do it. I doesnt have to be on my hip, it could be in my backpack out of sight or in a pocket. But once again we have to worry about people being responsible.

They're all adults (well most of them are, some almost adults). So that excuse doesn't fly really. They still have to be 21 to carry anyway (which is BS but another topic). Do you really believe college campuses would become a bloodbath if any student could carry? If so, it's a problem with the students, not the tool. Which leading up would be a problem with the parents, and society at large.

Very few of the 'typical college kids' have the slightest grasp of self-reliance and self-defense. The dumbass who spends his time playing Beiruit and seducing freshman girls probably doesn't know what an LTC is, just because he doesn't have any interest in being a grownup and taking on such responsibilities. The population that is really being denied the right to carry on campus is a very different group of students- the ones who do follow laws, don't drink themselves into a stupor on a daily basis, and have seriously considered the possibility of finding themselves trapped in an unarmed-victim zone when the shooting starts.

Yes, there are a lot of unstable college students. Bigger campuses find themselves doing a good amount of involuntary mental health committals and shipping quite a few students to local hospitals for alcohol-related issues. But the few college students with LTCs aren't members of the unstable drunk population...particularly in Massachusetts where PDs aren't inclined to rubber stamp license applicants. Making the claim that colleges and universities should be off limits to guns because of alcohol and drug use is just like the claim that Boston shouldn't issue unrestricted licenses because of the gang shootings that occur. You're applying qualities found in a group of undesirables to tarnish everyone else.

Ugh, reading some comments on there... this one is rich:

While legally an adult, the pat of the brain that allows an individual to make reasonable decisions and recognize the true emotional context of any situation is not fully developed until age 22-23. Until this time individuals often make drastically poor decisions in high stress situations at these ages. Inf act the decision making process is apparently most impaired from the age of 16 until the age of 21. One of the reasons I think gun ownership should not be legal until age 24-25.

Strange how 18-22 year olds have been fighting wars throughout history. Is this person saying that WWII vets, etc, were incapable of making reasonable decisions in the face of battle? [rolleyes]

Very few of the 'typical college kids' have the slightest grasp of self-reliance and self-defense. The dumbass who spends his time playing Beiruit and seducing freshman girls probably doesn't know what an LTC is, just because he doesn't have any interest in being a grownup and taking on such responsibilities. The population that is really being denied the right to carry on campus is a very different group of students- the ones who do follow laws, don't drink themselves into a stupor on a daily basis, and have seriously considered the possibility of finding themselves trapped in an unarmed-victim zone when the shooting starts.

You just described the entire population of the US, not just college students! Substitute in american idol for beiruit and you can see the problem. But, as you said it shouldn't keep the rest of us from being able to defend ourselves. Let the rest be pansies and unable to do anything but wet themselves in a bad situation, it's their choice.

I know what to think of him: he's an anti D-bag. Anyone not for freedom is against it imo. People like that just play on emotions to restrict all our rights. The worst kind of person really.

They're all adults (well most of them are, some almost adults). So that excuse doesn't fly really. They still have to be 21 to carry anyway (which is BS but another topic). Do you really believe college campuses would become a bloodbath if any student could carry? If so, it's a problem with the students, not the tool. Which leading up would be a problem with the parents, and society at large.

wow wow wow relax there pumpkin, i said "we have to worry about PEOPLE being responsible" no where in what i wrote said its guns that are to blame. I also agree that the 21 age restriction is pure BS. But if you go back and reread what i wrote i said i dont trust alot of people i see when im on campus but that shouldnt effect their right to carry a firearm. No offense but i probably wouldnt trust you mainly because i dont know you. and you probably dont trust me.

I dont believe that colleges will become bloodbaths and dont start with that hyperbole with me.

Does the Brady Campaign have a pamphlet with all of these anti-gun ideas? It seems like everyone is pretty well-versed in them:

Too many kids in college have big egos and short tempers. If they went to school packing, they would feel even more empowered. Fist fights would turn into gun fights.

Of course, this is exactly what happened when, what, 48 or so states passed carry laws? I can't think of a single occasion when I had a disagreement with someone and I didn't use my firearm to settle it. I carry a gun just to feel more "empowered", because I'm a big man with a big ego and a short temper.

Tom, we seem to be in agreement about colleges reflecting the rest of society. I'd trust you to bring a gun to class...

In a mass shooting scenario all of the individuals with weapons will be unable to tell each other from the original shooter and will fire on each other. In the ensuing chaos many will miss and hit people who would otherwise have gotten away.

In this scenario, we've actually made guns mandatory on college campuses, and everyone is issued a handgun on the way into class. Since most of the students have no training or experience, they don't know what to do when the shooting starts, and they just open up on their classmates. Perhaps we shouldn't go quite this far, and just allow anyone who is properly licensed to go about his or her daily routine of carrying. That way, there won't be as many people with weapons, and there's a better chance that the active threat will stand out.

Since most of the students have no training or experience, they don't know what to do when the shooting starts, and they just open up on their classmates.

Goddard is fond of saying this, and insisting that had he been armed, he wouldn't have been able to make anything better, as he only had a few seconds. Maybe that's true, but "a few seconds" is enough for your average IPSC shooter to draw, put three in the dirtbag (Pro Tip: he's the one who's coming into the classroom shooting people) , then walk across the street and get a burrito.

Just because he insists there was nothing anyone could have done, doesn't mean that's actually true.

My opinion is that he's another anti gun, anti self defense tool bag who has been co-opted by the bradyites. Maybe if he wants to intentionally be defenseless he should move out of the US.

My sympathy for such people is zero, especially when they whore themselves out to someone like Brady.

I have some other things I'd like to say but I'd have to ban myself from the forum after I was done.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom