• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Not sure how to proceed

rommel

NES Member
A friend legally obtained a pistol years back. He has since let his ltc-A expire. He now wants to sell me the pistol, well, technically I want to buy it. My understanding of the FA10 form is that he has to have a current ltc to sell. Could I somehow use a ffl to make the sale? He legally is not supposed to have posession of it so how can he transfer ownership even through a ffl. If he is not supossed to have posession could I legally just take posession without a form, or could I legally hold said firearm at my residence in my locked safe for safe-keeping of a firearm without a home?

Go to his house, take gun, go to ffl with him, transfer.

Assuming the ffl will transfer the gun (it's on the list or they don't care). There is no issue with his expired ltc for the ffl transfer

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks for the info, here is another potential problem. I believe the gun to be a post ban glock 19. Which an ffl can not transfer to me. So it seems that he must renew his ltc. Can I legally posess this concealed? Can I fire it at the range?

Thanks for the info, here is another potential problem. I believe the gun to be a post ban glock 19. Which an ffl can not transfer to me. So it seems that he must renew his ltc. Can I legally posess this concealed? Can I fire it at the range?

He may be outside the grace period depending on how long ago his license expired (check the regs). If so, you can hold it for him until he gets his license renewed.

Find a FFL that WILL transfer it. You may have to make a few phone calls.

Otherwise, I wouldn't carry or shoot it. You are not borrowing it from a licensed individual. YMMV

Gees..Here are 2 guys just trying to do the right thing and in Mass we have to be afraid of becoming a felon by default..
I hope everyone can sleep nights knowing these laws are protecting us from these 2 bad guys!!!!
I hope there is a rational answer to this situation.
My son in law was in the same boat. He had a shotgun, but let his FID laps. But of course the gun was "at my house in the safe all these years". ( probably illegal as well?)
I just did the registration in my name and never heard from anyone!!!

This may be the only legal solution other than renewing the LTC ???
I will follow this post to see what happens.
First thing I would have done was not post this on a public forum!!!

Trade it in for a $25 Target gift card at the next gun back back. No questions asked

Sent from State prison using contraband cell phone

Well there is always the in state loan of the gun.... which you are keeping "safe" for your friend until he gets licensed.... and since it is not crossing a state line and it is not a permanent arrangement, you can legally CCW it.

He is planning on getting licensed RIGHT (wink wink nod nod) and no money changed hands... ( you just loaned him some money right?) some day he will get a license and reclaim the gun, and someday he will repay the loan too.

Back
Top Bottom