Not quite Milsurp, but

Yes i took out the liner . Looks like rain is letting up might go fire up grill and take a picture.
After the new year i might buy a nice walnut stock. If franco says this one is GTG for 10 ring work it will stay.

I had to stain mine im just not a fan of the yellow of birch or beach . I might even go buy some jacobean stain which is almost black

Last edited:
I was slightly disappointed when I opened the box and saw the birch stock but it's growing on me a little bit. At the very least, something different. With my walnut stocks, the RLO has always pulled out the grain lines to be almost black. Hoping this stock makes a similar transformation. It actually looks better, colorwise, in person than the photos I posted.
Most stocks do, I will be slapping some form of finish on it tomorrow. Basically what ever I find first. Not even sure where I stuffed any of it.

heres my stock on 4 coats of tru oil the sun and being still "wet" it looks glossier in the pics than by the eye, once it cures up I will just hit it with the white or grey scotch bright pads and it will look good
PSQB9fc.jpg

oejPTAFl.jpg

getting there, trigger is much better than original after the work still a touch under 5lbs but smoother and the 2nd stage is short and crisp.

wow...Franco sure got that put together fast!

when did you get it back?
last night about 7pm. Other than some tight mags everything feels and looks good. After seeing the gas system refinished im glad I opted to do that. I like his upper hand guard treatment also.
I did not thing it would bother me but that hole for the selector sucks. will be getting the faux selector at some point or a new stock.
going to just shoot it for a while first.

Wha did you end up using for barrel/receiver?

I ended up sending that Bula bolt I offered you back to the factory with a barreled receiver i’m having bolt clearance issues with...still not sure if it was BOTH of the bolts I had, or the receiver?

One of the bolts was headspaced to the barreled receiver, the other was a spare new bolt that had not been headspaced to anything, but had just been sitting in my box of parts and decided to try when the other failed to cycle properly. I tried a USGI bolt and it worked fine, go figure.

After some mulling over, I called Bula and they just said to send it back with both of their bolts so they could see what was going on.

I’m glad to see you might have yours ready for the MM match?

last night about 7pm. Other than some tight mags everything feels and looks good. After seeing the gas system refinished im glad I opted to do that. I like his upper hand guard treatment also.
I did not thing it would bother me but that hole for the selector sucks. will be getting the faux selector at some point or a new stock.
going to just shoot it for a while first.

[party][party]

Nice! Glad it's done. How'd he treat the hand guard? Thinking about painting my flat black...

I remember Franco told me the vented HGs should not be used - heat coming off the barrel.

Eventually I switched to solid, though I prefer the looks of the vented. Guess I'm supposed to build another so that I can have that? :D

Another piece of my XM25 puzzle.

A Bausch & Lomb Tactical 10x in like new condition. Rings for display only...that's another item to hunt down...or replicate.
kEucJM7.jpg

Thx. Unfortunately EIC in Scarborough, ME. I heard they are running the match on electronic targets.....

I'll see some of you in VT, and then back to OCSA in October.

Good luck in Maine! When you get to Vermont, let me know if you need some help figuring out which one is your Garand, your 03A3, your M14... I realize all those wood stocked guns look the same if you haven't seen one in a while. [laugh] If there are any cobwebs on your milsurps, leave 'em alone in case there are some in your peep sights. It's only fair 'cuz we have cobwebs in our sights even if we clean them.

Scarborough is only a 2 hour drive for me. Looks like there are some EIC options that are 1 to 2 hours away. I'm tempted to compete in some EIC's and will take SAFS again in Vermont to see if I can kickstart some points.

Thanks.. someone told me the pointy end goes downrange.

You shooting the EIC in Vermont?

Yes. Did OK last year despite some ammo related errors and one mis-read on the wind. My hand loads for rapids were just a hair too long and were snagging on the mag. I bought a box of CMP ammo and basically was shooting it for the first time in the match, thus sighting in for score, LOL. Shot decently at 600 with my hand load 80's except when a strong crosswind kicked in and sent a shot into the 7-ring. I thought it was my bad and proceeded to put another shot right on top of that 7. Adjusted and back in the 10-ring, but now out of the money. :confused:

I'm going to just use mag length 77's this time. I shot a sub half MOA group with it at 200 yards on Tuesday so I'll stick with that and know that any screw ups are all on me.

I'm better in awfulhand with the Bula, but for the EIC the 20 points at 600 yards will benefit from my AR + scope.

You guys use cheat sheets for wind? Or just by memory for standard adjustments

They have wind flags there, but you can count on them pointing different directions :confused: at any given moment. That valley is known for some odd wind changes. I have some friends who train there for Guard / Reserves and they bitch about it.

I calculate 10 mph crosswind windage based on chronograph data and projectile BC and swag from there.

They have wind flags there, but you can count on them pointing different directions :confused: at any given moment. That valley is known for some odd wind changes. I have some friends who train there for Guard / Reserves and they bitch about it.

I calculate 10 mph crosswind windage based on chronograph data and projectile BC and swag from there.
since I kinda suck at reading wind I just have some basic base lines. 600 yards for 30 cal full value wind 5mph 4 moa 10mph 8 and 15 at 12... anything over that im already F'd. My skills will fudge factor more error than dialing in MOA.

for my basic "ar" load its more like 3 6 and 9 moa.
I have cheet sheets for my cast loads and 22lr that's "bigger" math. Plus CRS is growing strong with this one

since I kinda suck at reading wind I just have some basic base lines. 600 yards for 30 cal full value wind 5mph 4 moa 10mph 8 and 15 at 12... anything over that im already F'd. My skills will fudge factor more error than dialing in MOA.

for my basic "ar" load its more like 3 6 and 9 moa.
I have cheet sheets for my cast loads and 22lr that's "bigger" math. Plus CRS is growing strong with this one

Reading the wind is one skill I'd like to build. I can swag off the wind flags and sometimes the trees but only at a very crappy level. At least the times I have been there, Camp Ethan Allen provides an advanced level challenge that doesn't help me learn- the wind really swirls around sometimes. Granby gets some wind and at least when I have been there it might vary in velocity but not that much in direction. This week it was blowing straight at me, so not much challenge.

Reading the wind is one skill I'd like to build. I can swag off the wind flags and sometimes the trees but only at a very crappy level. At least the times I have been there, Camp Ethan Allen provides an advanced level challenge that doesn't help me learn- the wind really swirls around sometimes. Granby gets some wind and at least when I have been there it might vary in velocity but not that much in direction. This week it was blowing straight at me, so not much challenge.
I have been shooting 22lr at 200 y ards here and there. What i have been doing is trying to call the shots where i think the wind might push them. Not much wind at OCSA but i know if it its close to 10mph or so im out near the 5 ring. I have small windsocks somewhere just cant find them. Used to usethem back in the RC plane days.

I have been shooting 22lr at 200 y ards here and there. What i have been doing is trying to call the shots where i think the wind might push them. Not much wind at OCSA but i know if it its close to 10mph or so im out near the 5 ring. I have small windsocks somewhere just cant find them. Used to usethem back in the RC plane days.

NRA makes those giant wind flags- something more portable would be great if you could determine 5, 10, 15, 20 mph winds.

I hear the wind is usually a factor at Perry but maybe not that variable. Seriously thinking about going next year, was in Russia this time around.

Hope we have a bunch of M1A's / M14's on Sunday. My DuPage kit shipped but must be coming by stagecoach- won't deliver until mid-next week. Unless the stock turns out to be something interesting I'll probably sell it and look for an old McMillan. Since the Bula is CMP rules compliant, next one won't be.

So I shot my new GI M14 build today, used bulk LC 7.62 from targetsports and shot at 100 yard steel.

Don't know if it was because I wasn't in a sling/jacket, but that thing really kicks... in a good way.

I also practiced offhand with my AR. Go to load the 2nd round and it's sticking about an inch out of the chamber. Pried it out and noticed the issue......

View: https://i.imgur.com/MerExMP.jpg

I dont see much of that with the 223. Any insight to why?
I have some 223 i lost track of reloads. The necks tend to split before anything else.

So I shot my new GI M14 build today, used bulk LC 7.62 from targetsports and shot at 100 yard steel.

Don't know if it was because I wasn't in a sling/jacket, but that thing really kicks... in a good way.

I also practiced offhand with my AR. Go to load the 2nd round and it's sticking about an inch out of the chamber. Pried it out and noticed the issue......

View: https://i.imgur.com/MerExMP.jpg

Hey, you are supposed to save those for when we are competing against you. :D

Too many reloads? Also, who made the brass? LC?

Back
Top Bottom