• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Not pretty, but an American Classic

EddieCoyle

Consigliere
NES Member
Rather than try to compete with all the nice shiny guns on this forum, I decided that instead I'd try to keep it real. From the "beauty-is-in-the-eye-of-the-beholder" file, here's the best $80 I ever spent:

smithmp.jpg

smithmp1.jpg

That's an old cop gun; a 1940's vintage, 5-screw Smith and Wesson M&P (pre-Model 10). It's a .38 Special with a pinned 4" pencil barrel. There's lots of holster wear, with no bluing on the backstrap, most gone on the top strap, and lots of good honest wear on the cylinder, crane, and barrel. As you've probably guessed, those are the original grips too.

It might not look like much, but it goes BANG every time, it's got the sweetest revolver trigger you'll ever feel, locks up as tight as a Scotsman, and with the right ammo is accurate enough to pick off cans and shotgun hulls at 100 yards.

This gun, along with the 1911 and Colt SAA is a true American Classic, and I'll never part with it. It will be willed to my son after I'm gone - it's already his favorite.

here's the best $80 I ever spent:

$80????

You stold that my man! That is the best $80 you will ever spend. An honest working gun in that good shape is a great buy. My hat is off to you.

edited to add: Are you sure that those are the orginal grips? That old "should" have been Diamond Magnas I think. Are they numbered to the gun? If you give me the serial number from the butt, with any letter prefix and the last three numbers replaced by "x"'s, I can help you estimate the manufacture date.

Last edited:
Cripes, I gotta get a better class of friends. It seems everyone on this
forum is getting guns either given to them or getting outright 'steals' on
some great lookin' hardware. Nice pistola my friend! Enjoy.

TBP

Last edited:
Very nice,classy looking piece.The S&W .38 is an icon that far too many shooters ignore.Any time I see someone asking "what first handgun?" or " what handgun on a tight budget?" I always think the only answer is a decent K frame.

Very nice,classy looking piece.The S&W .38 is an icon that far too many shooters ignore.Any time I see someone asking "what first handgun?" or " what handgun on a tight budget?" I always think the only answer is a decent K frame.

I agree 100% +. I have an old Model 10 and a 15. The 15 is the single best handgun I own and the 10 runs a close second.

I say it is very pretty. Holster wear and dings mean nothing to me if the thing shoots straight.

I'd like to see you shooting it some day. Especially at shotgun shell hulls at 100 yards. I can't even see one at 100 yards!!! I think I could hit a pumpkin at 100 yards though. *S*

Back
Top Bottom