• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Not once, but twice...

Does NH have a live NICS background check? What the heck is the “State Police” background check? How did this guy pass it at both Riley’s and Granite State? Is it true they do it for hang guns only as Nick states? I bought long guns from Dana at Old Glory and waited for the check. Came back clean of course.

Both of the purchases were rifles from what Im reading - which goes through the feds.

Please check your facts.

In NH pistols, or any purchase involving one, goes through the state police who use NICS, same as feds, but also may have other local information.

What good is a NH State Police background check if this guy kept passing it?

None of the background checks to buy a gun are much good period, if you think about it for more than 5 minutes it's readily apparent that it is possible for pretty much anyone to
frontally defeat the system so that it fails, given how the system doesn't work. The current system will only stop the dumbest of people. It's basically feel good pablum for the masses,
fudds, and jingoservatives. It makes me wonder how high the fail rate actually is, although given the mechanicals of how it would be detected, it would be difficult to even record it unless something
happens like what did in this case- a coincidence and local knowledge of the individual in question is the only thing that linked him to being prohibited. Guy probably had a false, or stolen identity or
something.

-Mike

Both of the purchases were rifles from what Im reading - which goes through the feds.

Please check your facts.

In NH pistols, or any purchase involving one, goes through the state police who use NICS, same as feds, but also may have other local information.

He may or may not have gotten a gun via the NH POC, too, but that either happened outside their retention window or just wasn't examined because it was inconvenient for them to do
so. IMHO given the proximity of the purchases to the triggering incident, the ATF probably went to the FBI NICS section and said "see if this guy bought any guns in the past 90 days"
(or whatever their window is supposed to be) and when it returned pings with the now-discovered alias he used, that's how they bagged him.

-Mike

I was told only handguns go thru a NH background check and long guns were federal.

Yes you are correct on the long guns. My mistake.
I had handgun on my mind because of this line in the article:
"Chester Police Department received a call that Parker was inside the Chester General Store with a gun in plain view."
Assumed he was open carrying a pistol.

None of the background checks to buy a gun are much good period, if you think about it for more than 5 minutes it's readily apparent that it is possible for pretty much anyone to
frontally defeat the system so that it fails, given how the system doesn't work. The current system will only stop the dumbest of people. It's basically feel good pablum for the masses,
fudds, and jingoservatives. It makes me wonder how high the fail rate actually is, although given the mechanicals of how it would be detected, it would be difficult to even record it unless something
happens like what did in this case- a coincidence and local knowledge of the individual in question is the only thing that linked him to being prohibited. Guy probably had a false, or stolen identity or
something.

-Mike

And then there is this...
ATF Audits Reveal 1-in-4 NH Gun Line Background Checks Are Wrong

We talked about that in another post recently - whats unclear to me though are what mistakes they are making exactly, article seems to insinuate false denials (and someone here had one) but does not elaborate on whether they are even referring to dispositions of background checks. In the OP though the issue was a false proceed... I have heard of plenty of false FBI denials too, including in instances where the NH check correctly gives a proceed too...

Same thing I said in the other post - at least if you get a bogus denial in an NH Gun Line check you can actually get answers and rectify the problem fairly quickly without the terrible FBI process.

The whole process sucks either way, hopefully we do not see it get worse post 2020 - we can probably all agree on that.

Back
Top Bottom