Not new here, but.......

BTSDOG

NES Member
I suck at keyword searches, so here goes........
A friend wants to know (he's here in Mass.), if he can purchase a Glock 19 form a friend in N.J. I told him face to face is a no go because of the gun being out of state. I told him maybe if he knows a dealer here in Ma. willing to transfer it in, then he could go dealer to dealer. Correct ?? And also, he is soon to become a LEO here in Ma. Would that smooth the process ?? And because he is to become a LEO, he wants to do everything legally.
What says the NES braintrust ? Do i have the correct scenario ??

Once he becomes a LEO in MA, he can legally buy a G19 at a cop-shop (suggest Atlantic Tactical) for the Glock LE prices (~$400) and have the newest version. In his case I'd avoid buying from a friend in NJ as after all the costs of transfer/shipping/etc. he'll be lucky to get an older version for $500+. As a LEO he can also get the LE-legal large-cap mags for the LE discount (probably ~$20 each). So patience is a real virtue here.

do retired leo's get the same "perks" as when they were on the job?
Glock and others offer the same deals.

MGL is very gray in this area, so cop-shops won't sell non-AG compliant guns/mags to retirees. Confirmed the gray area issue with the FRB Legal Counsel just before she left the agency for private practice. Confirmed the cop-shop status with AT more recently. I'm officially a retiree, so it is of personal interest not just for teaching purposes. However, when I move to NH, I'll have total privileges, just won't bring back large-cap mags or new AWs into MA for any reason.

I do recall reading that MCOPA wanted legislative clarification of the retiree status, but nothing came of it.

Glock and others offer the same deals.

MGL is very gray in this area, so cop-shops won't sell non-AG compliant guns/mags to retirees. Confirmed the gray area issue with the FRB Legal Counsel just before she left the agency for private practice. Confirmed the cop-shop status with AT more recently. I'm officially a retiree, so it is of personal interest not just for teaching purposes. However, when I move to NH, I'll have total privileges, just won't bring back large-cap mags or new AWs into MA for any reason.

I do recall reading that MCOPA wanted legislative clarification of the retiree status, but nothing came of it.

Len, don't you and other retirees qualify under LEOSA?

If your friend is buying from a friend, can't they do a frame transfer through a willing FFL? That's the part the laws care about, right?

Len, don't you and other retirees qualify under LEOSA?

Yes, I am qualified under LEOSA. However it is up to your chief where you last served . . . nothing requires them to issue proper LEOSA credentials so some do and some don't.

The 2014 law change does not make it clear that retirees can buy guns not approved for the masses. It does make it clear that active LEOs can do so.

If your friend is buying from a friend, can't they do a frame transfer through a willing FFL? That's the part the laws care about, right?

Yes, but active LEOs can buy Glocks at special pricing (ONLY if they go to certain Glock LE certified dealers) which is a lot less than the combined cost of an old gun, transfers and shipping costs, etc.

.Yes, but active LEOs can buy Glocks at special pricing (ONLY if they go to certain Glock LE certified dealers) which is a lot less than the combined cost of an old gun, transfers and shipping costs, etc.
That makes sense. I suppose I was assuming (my bad) that a sale between friends might include better pricing, depending on why it was being made. Obviously, if the Blue gun path is cheaper, it would be silly to go any other way.

Clue me in. If the NJ gun is not pre-ban, and the person in not yet a LEO at a Dept. then the deal has to wait until all is good.

Or, the NJ guy could move here, register it and then EFA10 it.

That makes sense. I suppose I was assuming (my bad) that a sale between friends might include better pricing, depending on why it was being made. Obviously, if the Blue gun path is cheaper, it would be silly to go any other way.

It's not the sale price that is the issue. It is the FFL fees plus shipping the frame (has to go as a gun to FFL in MA via UPS/FedEx Air if shipped by owner/only FFL can ship via USPO) plus shipping the other parts to the new owner that boost the price almost certainly higher than the Blue Label pricing. [I'm ignoring the mag issue which could add to final cost.]

Clue me in. If the NJ gun is not pre-ban, and the person in not yet a LEO at a Dept. then the deal has to wait until all is good.

Or, the NJ guy could move here, register it and then EFA10 it.

We do NOT require registration of guns you move in with. Someone moving to MA only to get a MA Resident LTC is so expensive that it shouldn't even flash thru anyone's mind.

Back
Top Bottom