• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

not my best night for pins

allen-1

NES Member
First night of "big-bore" pins and I got a new sight for my SW1911 that I haven't shot since last Fall. A Burris FastFire III, delivered by one of those friendly guys in the brown truck promptly at 9AM. (I needed it 'cause I swiped the one that was on it to put onto my GP100).

So I installed it and went to the range a bit early to sight it in. Got it dialed in pretty easily, but as I was finishing up, the safety fractured and came out. Turned the gun sideways and shook it and got another piece out. Oops. Better yet, that pretty much turned my 1911 into a bolt action. I'd fire a shot and the slide would lock back. Damn it.

First round of pins with revolver. Bang, bang, where the fck is the red dot? Slap, no red dot, bang-miss. Never mind. Clear it, flag it, set it down. Take it back to the bench and take a look to see if I can figure out what's wrong. OH - it doesn't need a NEW battery - it needs ANY battery. The cover went walk-about and the battery's gone. That'll make the red dot go out.

Wait until the next shooter's done and amazingly enough I FIND the cover. Understand that it's about the size of a penny, just big enough to drop a 2032 battery underneath.

So that's fixable. New battery and some blue permatex on the threads.

As for the 1911 - I borrowed a friend's for the rest of the night and ordered a new safety from Brownell's when I got home.

jezus, a night to remember! [laugh] i like your attitude, you don't seem too bummed considering....and 3/4 of the guys on nes would have blamed the ups guy. [wink] shit happens, give it hell next time out.

The pin and plate shoots are always an adventure for some. [rofl]

Glad to hear your breakdowns were not catastrophic and can be repaired.

Saw a guy with a Springfield 40 cal handgun fire out of battery last month and destroyed the gun! He was fine......lot of powder to the face but no burns. Gun was toast though. The owner was less than pleased.

Allen, did you ever shoot the Sunday pin matches at Ledyard? Remember Paul? That guy always had something flying off of one of his pistols lol. Glad you found the rest of your sight and are able to get it up and running.

Where was this Pins and Plate meet? I like shooting pins and plates and haven't for a while. Is this a regular event, is there a schedule?

I think the OP is down in Georgia, but maybe there are some localy.

Jason.

Where was this Pins and Plate meet? I like shooting pins and plates and haven't for a while. Is this a regular event, is there a schedule?

Worcester pistol and rifle club has bowling pin shoots the last sunday of each month (April - November)
http://www.wprclub.com/Pin-Shoots

Chester rod and gun club in Chester, NH has bowling pin shoots once a month on saturdays (check their calendar)
https://calendar.google.com/calendar/[email protected]&ctz=America/New_York

These are the only clubs I'm aware of that offer bowling pin shoots.

Last edited:
The pin and plate shoots are always an adventure for some. [rofl]

Glad to hear your breakdowns were not catastrophic and can be repaired.

Saw a guy with a Springfield 40 cal handgun fire out of battery last month and destroyed the gun! He was fine......lot of powder to the face but no burns. Gun was toast though. The owner was less than pleased.

Yet another reason not to shoot fo-tay...

-chris

Worcester pistol and rifle club has bowling pin shoots the last sunday of each month (April - November)
http://www.wprclub.com/Pin-Shoots

Chester rod and gun club in Chester, NH has bowling pin shoots once a month on saturdays (check their calendar)
https://calendar.google.com/calendar/[email protected]&ctz=America/New_York

These are the only clubs I'm aware of that offer bowling pin shoots.

Country pond fish and game Newton NH has them ope. To the public. Actually there is an indoor pin shoot on the 13th in the evening

Green highlighted events are open to public

http://cpfgc.com/coming.html

Allen, did you ever shoot the Sunday pin matches at Ledyard? Remember Paul? That guy always had something flying off of one of his pistols lol. Glad you found the rest of your sight and are able to get it up and running.

I'm shooting Sunday pins at Ledyard fairly regularly now; at least while I'm up here. Lot of fun and a good crew.

This is in CT at the Ledyard Sportsman Club on Sundays at 11AM. It's open to the public.

(3) tables: high-low, flat, and pinheads with a .22.

On the high-low and flat you can shoot pistol caliber, (that means pistol or pistol caliber carbine) or rimfire (pistol or rifle).
On the pinheads you must shoot rimfire.

Three rounds on each station, times kept just for your own satisfaction.
This is why the round/firearm choice is so loose, it's fun - not competition.

Then a poker hand shot at the end for a share of the entry fee, ($4) to the best hand.

Fairly casual, lot of fun.

Last edited:
Been there. Yesterday was out shooting those little 2" Daisy clays with the air rifle with #2 Daughter. There was one that she put this ITTY-BITTY little blue dot on. And then put it in the piece of styrofoam that we were using to hold them in such a way as to be in the middle of a bunch of old hits.

I'm color blind. That doesn't mean I see in black and white. I have less sensitivity to color in general. Through the iron sights, the 2" orange target with the bb-sized blue dot on it disappeared. I must have missed that fugger 5x before winging it. D2 comes out right after I wing it and just dusts the sucker. I was kicking her ass most of the time so it was nice to see her get one.

The great news - I got to go shooting with my daughter and you got to go shooting. What a great country we live in!

Resolution

So, I ordered the new ambi-safety for my 1911. It shipped via UPS and I tracked it anxiously every step of the way. It was here for local delivery Friday morning. But I screwed up the address. Want to know frustration? Frustration is when I put "8123 main street, blah blah camping resort" on the label and the actual address is "123 main street, blah blah camping resort" and fcking UPS can't find the fcking camping resort even though it's less than 1/2 a mile away and they deliver packages here every single day.

Frustration is when I get the email that tells me that they're attempting to correct the address, I call and they tell me that the package is at the UPS depot, I drive over there, and they tell me that I can't have the package because the shipper has instructed them to RETURN it to them. Frustration is when I say "how about if you just deliver it to "blah blah camping resort" like it says on the gdmn label? and they say "we can't do that, the shipper has told us to return it".

All while telling me that "oh yes, the package is here, and we agree that it's addressed to you, and we agree that that's your driver's license identifying you"...

This is Friday morning, and I really wanted that ambi-safety so I could repair my 1911 and shoot pins with it Monday night.

Deep breaths. Calming breaths. Do not scream at the nice imbeciles who are only following their stupid fcking protocols. Because it won't get you anywhere you want to be, (back of the police car is a BAD place).

And there's NOWHERE within an hour of here that I know of that would carry an ambi safety... Deep breaths. Calming breaths.

So - Friends of mine have mentioned a shop in Groton that I've never been to. What the hell, might as well check it out; maybe I'll get lucky. Drive over after work. Interesting little shop, they've got a class-3 license, (they can sell full-auto). Ask the guy behind the counter "you got any 1911 parts?". "A few" he says. Hmmm. "An ambi safety?". "Yeah, I think I got one on the wall over there". And jesus wept - he does have one.

And as I'm taking it off the wall, not believing my insanely good luck; this other customer standing there says "Allen?". "Yeah, who're you?". "John M...". Holy crap. I haven't seen him in literally 20 years. Neither of us had recognized the other, but he recognized my voice.

And he's hanging out there waiting for Matt P, a guy he works with - who happens to be a guy I shoot with. Small world. Then one of the owners comes out, and he recognizes me, We haven't seen each other in a decade - and last time I saw him, he was running another business entirely.

So, I stayed a while, caught up with them, waited to see what Matt P was buying, (a beautiful Colt 1911); and then went home and fit the ambi-safety to my S&W 1911.

The other one's still on its way back to the vendor, then it'll be shipped back to me, and it can go in the spare parts box. Won't hurt to have a spare.

Back
Top Bottom