• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Not for law enforcement use

clampett

NES Member
I purchased a box of 9mm hollow points and on the box it said " not for law enforcement use". Is this because the ammo is unreliable, or is it that the manufacturer thinks that law enforcement should not be using hollow point ammo.
I bought it at Skips for 1/2 of what I normally pay for hollow points, a 50 round box of 115 grain Independence for $24.50. It is made in Israel.

Probably neither. Maybe there's somewhere they sell ammo that requires some sort of certification that they didn't get for this ammo. I will say that the IWI 115 grain "die cut" hollow points are not bonded, and they haven't fared that well in ballistics gel tests that I've seen--inconsistent expansion at lower velocities and excessive fragmentation at higher velocities. I shot a few hundred rounds of that stuff and had no problems with it. Good ammo. Just leaves some terminal ballistics performance on the table.

Last edited:
I had a couple of Federal Lake City 5.56 cans I bought that had "not for duty use" or something like that on the lable. all fired fine so I don't know what was wrong with it.

Its probably not for Israeli Law Enforcement Use.

I've never seen a U.S. law enforcement agency of any type that doesn't use hollow points so its not applicable to this country.

Some European countries have laws against police using military caliber handguns......yes stupid but it goes with all their other stupid laws.

Yep. Geneva Convention meets Euro PoPo...
Which is also the name of a Hawaiian god, I believe.

CCI/Speer used to have boxes of rejected GDHPs with this verbiage, basically if they had any fear of a priming issue on a production line they would sideline the ammo even though most of the stuff worked fine. They mark it that way so nobody can sue them when someone has to shoot a bad guy and the gun didn't fire, etc....

-Mike

I purchased a box of 9mm hollow points and on the box it said " not for law enforcement use". Is this because the ammo is unreliable, or is it that the manufacturer thinks that law enforcement should not be using hollow point ammo.
I bought it at Skips for 1/2 of what I normally pay for hollow points, a 50 round box of 115 grain Independence for $24.50. It is made in Israel.

I know my agency will reject an entire run if the random boxes don't meet spec. I'm guessing since we buy in at least 10k lots (that's what generally gets delivered at the station level). A rejected lot would be quite a few rounds at a minimum.

Honestly, I've always thought the bulk mil spec ammo was probably in the same boat. I don't see how someone could 'overrun' enough ammo to have enough to sell at a discount, but out of spec made sense to me. I've never had a problem shooting it.

I also have some 'don't use it' ammo that was issued and later recalled. It has all gone 'bang' when it was supposed to.

CCI/Speer used to have boxes of rejected GDHPs with this verbiage, basically if they had any fear of a priming issue on a production line they would sideline the ammo even though most of the stuff worked fine. They mark it that way so nobody can sue them when someone has to shoot a bad guy and the gun didn't fire, etc....

-Mike

I still have several boxes (250rds ea) of this in .40 S&W and .357 Sig that I bought years ago (maybe 10 or more). I occasionally take some for a range trip, never had any problems of any kind with it.

Probably neither. Maybe there's somewhere they sell ammo that requires some sort of certification that they didn't get for this ammo. I will say that the IMI 115 grain "die cut" hollow points are not bonded, and they haven't fared that well in ballistics gel tests that I've seen--inconsistent expansion at lower velocities and excessive fragmentation at higher velocities. I shot a few hundred rounds of that stuff and had no problems with it. Good ammo. Just leaves some terminal ballistics performance on the table.
I’ve had two no-go on that IWI die cut JHP. One in an older high mileage gun that has restrike capability, no-go. The other on a modern glock, re-chambered multiple times and still no-go. I bought less than 1000 of those, they were good price, but not good enough for two failures in say 500-600 rounds. Actually less because I have some left.

Occasionally a big ammo company will detect a problem with a very small percentage of ammo in a batch, but they choose to sell it at a discount (often bulk packed) with the "Not for LE/Defensive use'" caveat instead of scrap it because of the small but real chance of a round failing to go off.

Back
Top Bottom