Not For Law Enforcement Use?

So today I picked up a couple of boxes of 9mm federal ammo at a good price. When I got home and began loading the ammo into my safe I noticed on the side of the boxes it says Not for law enforcement use. Does anyone know what this means? I plan on using this ammo for target practice only since it is 115 FMJ but I am still curious.

Was this bulk packed ammo? I've seen factory ammo bulk packed as "seconds" - ammo which is generally considered safe but comes from a batch where there was a process control issue that raises the suspicion that a round could be underpowered or otherwise flawed, rendering the ammo unsuitable for defensive use.

Rather than discard a large lot of such ammo, it is given appropriate labeling and sold at a lower price point.

It means: "Don't trust your life on it..." or Target use only.

I have a box of Federal 147 gr. 9mm+P ammo marked just the opposite, "For Law Enforcement Use Only"

yep...my old box of Black Talon 45acp has the same thing on it...given to me by a NHSP officer friend of mine

yep...my old box of Black Talon 45acp has the same thing on it...given to me by a NHSP officer friend of mine

I got mine from a US Marshall back in the 90's, I helped him out of a jam and he gave it to me as a tip.
I only test fired a few rounds and still have most of the box left.

[thumbsup]

I got mine from a US Marshall back in the 90's, I helped him out of a jam and he gave it to me as a tip.
I only test fired a few rounds and still have most of the box left.

[thumbsup]
I haven't shot any of mine. When I carry my 1911 they are in the firearm. Otherwise when I shoot at the range I use my reloads...

This is part of of Barry's latest campaign; non lethal munitions. God forbid that you arm a police officer with ammunition that might actually injure a felon.

If he's going to jail for that then I'm really going to jail, or hell, or something, because most of the SD ammo I have says that on the side of the box. [laugh]

-Mike

I was in a gun shop years ago and I asked for a couple boxes of the Ranger "Black Talon" minus the black bullets. The guy said "it's for law enforcement only" He looks around and says "I'll sell you one box". LOL like he was sneaking me a box or something. What a douche' .

I was in a gun shop years ago and I asked for a couple boxes of the Ranger "Black Talon" minus the black bullets. The guy said "it's for law enforcement only" He looks around and says "I'll sell you one box". LOL like he was sneaking me a box or something. What a douche' .

Mine have the extra killy and "illegal for peons to use" black bullets.

The melodrama was over the top, but I believe the LEO only crap is because it's exempt from federal excise tax.

The melodrama was over the top, but I believe the LEO only crap is because it's exempt from federal excise tax.

Not at all.

It's merely a marketing gimmick.

Any ammo could be tax free (FET) if sold directly to a gov't agency.

The stuff we were issued at the PD wasn't marked any special way but they didn't pay FET or sales tax on it either.

Back
Top Bottom