1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Not all people suck...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by blindfire, Aug 26, 2019.

1. blindfire

blindfire NES Member

The family and I went out yesterday to run errands and to just enjoy the awesome weather. We went over to Michael's to get some stuff framed and so my daughter could look at crafting items. After that we went over to Barns and Noble for some books for the daughter. All in all, it was a great day.

We own a handicap (wheelchair) van with a side ramp that folds out. We parked on the end handicap spot. There wasn't a car next to us at the time...so we dropped the ramp and she wheeled out. My only concern was that the wife didn't leave enough room in the event that spot filled. We decided to risk and and figured, we can always wait for the other person to leave. Not a great plan...but eff it...that's what we did.

We finish up at Michael's and come out. Sure as shit..someone parked next to us. We weren't mad...just kinda..."meh...figured it would happen". So we head over to Barns and Noble thinking it would give the person time to vacate the spot.

The wife decided to head back over before the book shopping was done just in case they left...she'd get into the van and move it closer to us. No such luck. My daughter and I finish up and head back. A new car is there now. :( Again..we didn't get mad because it was our bad plan that caused it. I eventually decide to run into the two stores closest and ask the managers to ask for the owner of a 4-Runner parked in the handicap spot to come up front.

This worked...met the nicest lady and I explained the situation to her. She gladly moved her truck so we could load up and escape.

Morals of the story:

1. Don't make bad plans since the negative outcomes will most likely come to fruition. :)
    2. Talk to people politely and hopefully things will work out.
    3. When parking a handicap van...park on the stripy bit...so your ramp can deploy into the spot without needing to bug other people. :)

Not sure why, but that interaction made me happy to know that there are still good people out there. Maybe it is because the times we live in where everyone hates everyone...or at least they seem to.

2. swatgig

swatgig NES Member

Chained together with 999 of my associates at the

But some of us do ...

KVX and blindfire like this.
  3. dingbat

dingbat

4. Back in.

My brother and his wife (both use chairs) have parked on the stripey bit just to come out and find someone shoehorned in to the space they left for the ramp. Those people do suck!

blindfire likes this.
  4. Evadd

Evadd NES Member

Blindfire - if someone is parked next to you and the spot isn't big enough that you can get the side ramp out, is it unreasonable to back out and then kind of double park at the end of the handicap spot to allow the ramp to work? I'm not being smartass; asking in all seriousness. Is it just that you don't want to block traffic while loading the van?

Not sure how you meant that, but just in case...ew.

5. robjax

robjax

what I do not understand is why they are so restrictive with the sizes of the handicap spaces.

My sister has MS. She got rid of her van with a ramp and bought a pickup truck with a hoist in the bed for her wheel chair.

So she only needs the width of a regular space now to deploy her chair. But when she had the ramp is was such a PITA if someone parked next to her.

All handicap spots should be wide enough so a ramp can deploy when another car is parked next to it.

blindfire likes this.
  6. swatgig

swatgig NES Member

Not like that!

Evadd likes this.
  7. swatgig

swatgig NES Member

I’d drop a traffic cone at the end of the ramp to keep all but the biggest a**h***s from parking there.

8. greencobra

greencobra NES Member

yeah, it would make sense. those bastards that configure the lots try to squeeze every car they can fit in. the only lot i've seen all the hp spots super wide is a medical building i go to.

i know a young girl who has a massive chair cause she totes a bunch of life support machines with her. her van ramp is in the back instead of the side.

robjax likes this.
  9. one-eyed Jack

one-eyed Jack Manufacturer Dealer NES Member

What they should be is two HP spaces with a striped area between them which is also marked HP. I suppose that the code could vary from town to town. Jack.

10. highlander

highlander

Could never figure out why the handicapped spaces have the zone marker for each space rather than every other. With the size of the parking lots in the malls especially they lose 4 spaces per side maybe. I figure a fair number of handicap vans have the side door exit anyway,can't say I've seen a rear entry type other than in a showroom

11. blindfire

blindfire NES Member

Yeah...my wife SUCKS at backing up tho. :) Can't really say shit since I don't drive. Called self preservation. lol

dingbat and richc like this.
  12. blindfire

blindfire NES Member

Nah man...I appreciate the comment. The issue is...I don't have a license to drive (eye sight obviously). I did consider trying back the van up into the traffic line just long enough for her to get in. A couple issues with the plan.

1. There is no driver's chair in the van for me to sit in to attempt the move. I've driven a car before...so I'm not worried about that...but no seat makes it hard.
    2. She does have hand controls, so in theory, I could stand outside the van (or open the door and stand on the door sill) and ever so gently move the van back.

We plan on going to a big open parking lot this weekend so I can practice this move. Wish me luck. :)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    boiler_eng and Evadd like this.
  13. blindfire

blindfire NES Member

There are a few out there. We looked at one...but given that you lose all of the rear seating..it is pretty impractical since we have a kid. We have a 2014 Grand Caravan. We bought from Mobility Works in Woburn. Good people...great customer service.

An acquaintance of ours had a retrofitted Honda Element with a rear ramp. I didn't really care for the setup...but in hind sight...it does make the handicap space easier to deal with.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  14. blindfire

blindfire NES Member

Yeah...we'd still park on the stripey bit...but the cone would be a good addition. Only thing I worry about is some dick head stealing the cones...lol

dingbat likes this.
  15. ISOTOX

ISOTOX NES Member

N of the Rebublic. SE of Alba and W of Ling Ling
    Glad it worked out in your favor. There are many good people out there.

dingbat and blindfire like this.
  16. blindfire

blindfire NES Member

That is a really interesting solution. I assume your sister can still walk with limitations? My wife is fully chair bound now due to her MS. I f*cking hate that disease.

17. swatgig

swatgig NES Member

Since I have no source for a cone, the only way I could get one to begin with would be to steal one.

dingbat and blindfire like this.
  18. blindfire

blindfire NES Member

lol

dingbat likes this.
  19. scatter

scatter NES Member

Blindfire, I usually don't agree with most of your opinions. But this is a good story. Thank you for sharing it.

And your avatar is perfect but I still kind of don't like it. Carry on. :)

JayMcB and blindfire like this.
  20. dingbat

dingbat

NOOOO!!!
    Please do not try to drive the van from the outside with the hand controlls!
    Just kneel in front of the console maybe? Roll down the window and have your wife spot for you?

blindfire likes this.
  21. blindfire

blindfire NES Member

Not my first choice. I was also thinking of just carrying a lawn chair or something to sit on instead. May try that as well. Thanks for the concern.

dingbat likes this.
  22. dingbat

dingbat

Hell, even a 5 gallon bucket would work. You could use it to store jumper cables, mini compressor, and other tools so it wouldn't just be taking up space in your vehicle.

23. Yosemite Sam

Yosemite Sam NES Member

She has to back up upon arrival or departure, right?

24. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 NES Member

My FIL has a Honda Odyssey with a side ramp. It's a giant POS (the ramp) they made them FAR too complicated, and its had constant issues. He made the company take back the first van it was so bad. This one was better, but it's about 5 years old.now and getting to have more and more issues. His has a seat that spins 180 degrees so he could transfer. Though, he isn't allowed to drive anymore.

I will agree that your idea of a lawn chair. You would be in serious danger of running yourself over the way you suggested.

25. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 NES Member

MS definitely sucks! What a horrible disease.

26. robjax

robjax

My sister is fully chair bound as well. She has many tools to help her transfer form one seat to another.

It took a lot of specialty work done on her truck to make is usable for her.

She's only in her 40's.

One of our other sister passed just about 3 years ago now due to complications from her MS.