• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Not a Glock Fanboy, BUT....

Shot my new (to me) Glock 23 last weekend and deemed it ready for duty as my EDC.

Its been a week, and I'm carrying it in a simple one clip leather IWB that Ill eventually swap out for a CompTac or FightnGear rig when money permits. I'm kind of kicking myself now....I'd been toting some massive pieces, such as a 4506 and up until last week, a 686 in an IWB.

Granted, with good holsters, they carried well, but damn, Im kind of pissed at my reluctance all this time to carry a Glock. I know Clint Smith said a gun should be comforting, not comfortable, but that's just crazy talk - I feel both comforted and comfortable with this little black Lego block.

That 686 is still going to pull duty as a motorcycle rig and house gun, but its not something that I really wanted to carry every day -- and we all know that's a massive factor in carrying concealed is choosing a weapon that you WILL carry every day.

I am aware that I am talking things most already know here, but jeez, I thought I was smart...you really CAN have it all in a small, lightweight gun.

DUH.

^^^ This. I carry my Glock 19 most of the year and it's a great carry gun but sometimes in the summer with shorts and a t shirt it's a little tough to conceal so I pull out the PPS. I love everything about the Glock 19 (same size as the 23) good choice my friend.

I'm still trying to convince myself to buy a Glock. I'd already have one if they weren't so goddam ugly, with the ergos of a milk carton. Every time I have the money together, I end up with a SIG.

I agree, one of the best carry guns imo. Light, dehorned, no safety, reliable and accurate. I have a 686 too and couldnt imagine carrying it iwb. Great choice with the 23, its my favorite gun.

I agree, one of the best carry guns imo. Light, dehorned, no safety, reliable and accurate. I have a 686 too and couldnt imagine carrying it iwb. Great choice with the 23, its my favorite gun.

The 686 isn't a terrible gun for IWB - I have a great holster from FightNGear that I love, but when I consider the weight, the amount of rounds I can carry and reload in a panic, the Glock wins, even with the Non Drop Free magazines.

It's an enlightening experience to carry a pistol that's made for it. I lugged around a full size M&P 9 for about 6 months, and then got my SR9C. what a difference. The M&P wasn't that bad, it's just that the Ruger is that much better. I will still carry my 1911 on occasion, or the XDm, but not if i want to hide it easy, or be really comfortable.

The 686 isn't a terrible gun for IWB - I have a great holster from FightNGear that I love, but when I consider the weight, the amount of rounds I can carry and reload in a panic, the Glock wins, even with the Non Drop Free magazines.

Even with 10-round magazine, the Glock wins for me. Though I have to admit that at any distance I'm far more accurate with a revolver. I'm still struggling with the Glock trigger.

Sorry, can't resist. [laugh]

I generally like Glocks, though, KB issues and .40 S+W meh-ness notwithstanding.

-Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
The G19 is a good carry gun, but given my druthers, I would carry my 1911. It shoots much better than the Glock. The Glock probably needs a trip to Lou's spa for guns.

I use to carry my 19 with me all the time with no problems or discomfort. It concealed extremely well for me, but then I got my 26....

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

^^^ This. I carry my Glock 19 most of the year and it's a great carry gun but sometimes in the summer with shorts and a t shirt it's a little tough to conceal so I pull out the PPS. I love everything about the Glock 19 (same size as the 23) good choice my friend.

This.

But neither the 19 or 23 are small by any means, the 26/27 are the subcompacts. I love my 19 too.

Love my Glock 19's (gen 2 with Austrian proof marks and Gen 4). Used to have a 23 but I just didn't like shooting it as much as the G19.

19 or 23 is really one of the tops for a carry piece. Thin enough to conceal, and enough handle to grab quickly, and has very good capacity for the size.

It's always my first pick when someone asks about what carry piece would they buy.

Back
Top Bottom