Northeast Trading For Sale.

hqdefault.jpg

So I just finished this thread and the original "Rat" thread from 2007. It doesn't seem like there was much of an effective boycott if this guy is going out of business 10 YEARS after the ratting out to the AG's office?

FUDDs gonna FUDD, bro. The worst ones typically don't get the memo, and the really bad ones actually agree with him.

So I just finished this thread and the original "Rat" thread from 2007. It doesn't seem like there was much of an effective boycott if this guy is going out of business 10 YEARS after the ratting out to the AG's office?

He was a rat a long time before that. IMHO boycotts are of limited usefulness, but I have no doubt that he got dinged by it, but the local competition is probably
what ultimately killed him. Back when NET was a big deal that edge of the armpit region had very few gun shops. Post-Obama, there are probably still like 2-3x more gun shops down there than there were during the Bush era. Some of those have now even died but there are still more shops than there were in 07.

Some terrible shops run a long time because of location and legacy BS. The gun room was a shining example of this, had the reputation as probably top 3 worst gun shop in MA, stayed open a few years past the owner dying. The location and the legacy clientele kept it afloat.

-Mike

The only way a shop is worth more than book value is if it has a reputation that would take a new shop years to build up, or a hard to get locale.

NET, on the other hand, has a reputation that has to be overcome, rather than built upon.

The smart buyer would offer "asset value only" (incorporating discounting of obsolete or slow to move merchandise) and also price out the POS software to know what the full price to discount off of is. Things like store fixtures, used POS terminals, and software generally sell used for cents on the dollar.

Lot of gun people out there who have never heard of NES, that's been my experience anyway.

Some terrible shops run a long time because of location and legacy BS. The gun room was a shining example of this, had the reputation as probably top 3 worst gun shop in MA, stayed open a few years past the owner dying. The location and the legacy clientele kept it afloat.
So true. Why is it that some of the crappiest shops around manage to keep the doors open forever while far better shops seem to get forced out of business at a frightful pace? [thinking] I would lump Waltham's Law Enforcement Equipment in that same miserable category as the Rat's place and the former Gun Room. I'd lump the Ware Gun Shop in there too but I can't tell what's going on there these days. The sign is still up but it otherwise looks abandoned.

Side historical question: How long has R&R been around? Not lumping it in with the others mentioned at all... I'd just like to know.

The seller is playing the game of "first one who mentions a number loses".

He is clearly anchoring his price in crazy town. The counter should be at 25% of that at most. Let him go though the stages of grief. Once he realizes he's not getting shit more, he might relent. Based on his arrogance though he will probably pick the self immolation/suicide option and sit on the stuff in bankruptcy.

Edit :
This is only for the real weapon inventory, everything else is shit. The POS system is worth nothing.

Last edited:
I never purchased a gun there, but it's the only local place I know of to get bait to take my son fishing. [sad] Last thing I want to do is run into Bass Pro Shops to pick up a dozen night crawlers. [rolleyes]

I never purchased a gun there, but it's the only local place I know of to get bait to take my son fishing. [sad] Last thing I want to do is run into Bass Pro Shops to pick up a dozen night crawlers. [rolleyes]

Doesn't every gas station/beer store carry night crawlers?

Locally Walmart and Dicks both have live bait, but definitely check their live-ness before leaving the store.. also there's a homeowner on Rte 152 in North that sells live nightcrawlers out of their garage.

Locally Walmart and Dicks both have live bait, but definitely check their live-ness before leaving the store.. also there's a homeowner on Rte 152 in North that sells live nightcrawlers out of their garage.

That guy could upgrade his business if he takes advantage

I buy from that guy frequently, but it's too early for him. They are usually in a cooler right behind the stone wall with a coffee can. I've seen the bait truck dropping off there once and a while. I try to avoid Rt 1 at all costs, and support the small shops.

I don't think it's the RAT, the packaging is different. But I could be wrong.

Last edited:
I wonder if that isn't the RAT selling from his home. IIRC he lives on that route number only a mile or two from the shop.
Reminds me of someone in Norton who was running a kitchen table operation. He did a lot of transfers for those that bought from GunBroker etc plus sold a few on his own. He got taken down. Someone was in Ted's shop and Ted was commenting on the raid. Except that it hadn't happened yet. Now how did he know the raid was happening that day if at all? (First two guesses don't count)

Reminds me of someone in Norton who was running a kitchen table operation. He did a lot of transfers for those that bought from GunBroker etc plus sold a few on his own. He got taken down. Someone was in Ted's shop and Ted was commenting on the raid. Except that it hadn't happened yet. Now how did he know the raid was happening that day if at all? (First two guesses don't count)

I bought a gun off the Norton guy back in the day. Heard he got raided for doing really illegal things. But I forget the details. Sucks if the Rat has been running around for years screwing things up for people. I just know the Mail order crap and the Glock crap.

I find that SOMEWHAT hard to believe. Only somewhat, tho. Did you first-hand witness this or hearsay?

Norton got pinched for unsecured firearms. IIRC, his argument was his house WAS his store, ergo if he locked the door, it was secure. The ATF had other plans. He had guns ALL FREAKING OVER the place. All the time. (Unfortunately, his license said his shop was the garage. Soooo. . . . .) Oh, and he got sued by Toys'r'Us for infringement. True story.

He was a bit strange, but a good guy. I did a good amount of business with him back in the day.

The other guy with the wrought iron grates in his basement - I forget his name, but also in Norton - was a riot. I loved him. LOL He always had the good pre-ban guns.

If the reference above (Norton) was referring to Richard Feinberg (Guns 'r Us), there is a lot more to the story about why he was taken down and went to prison than anything stated above.

Hey Len - I'm in Norton, but don't know about any of this as fairly new to this whole thing and it's not the first time I see Norton referenced in these types of topics as well as "netp" ...
Is there anywhere I can read up on it or should I even bother...?

If the reference above (Norton) was referring to Richard Feinberg (Guns 'r Us), there is a lot more to the story about why he was taken down and went to prison than anything stated above.

Correct! His main issues were federal. They could have been avoided, but he like to walk to the beat of his own drum. When Uncle Sam tells you to cut the shit, he means it.

I had forgotten he lost his lic, then kept selling. LOL It's been a while. But he had stuff all over the place. It wasn't he was flaunting the law or trying to jam himself up. He was just totally disorganized and a mess. If you had ever been there, you'd know. LOL

Geez. I can't believe that was 11 years ago!

But to keep us on topic - F the Rat! LOL

Back
Top Bottom