Northeast Trading For Sale.

Fraternizing with the enemy!! Derek should award you with a two day suspension and you should start a new post and write 100 times "I should slap myself for being weak"

Hey, Someones gotta get the intel. [rofl]

-Mike

FYI for those who don't know---POS is "point of sale" computer system for sales & inventory.

that said, the pic in the link to the listing shows pellet guns---

edit--didn't see squibs post #8 re: pellet guns

Last edited:
A boss of mine once said "goodwill is the dollar value assigned to the F'ing you willingly took."

You never pay book value for inventory in a purchase. Typically take a discount. Review on hands and write down obsolete or unsalable crap to get to a more reasonable/realistic value.

A POS system helps you record history, not make it. At best, if it helps you optimize your inventory, you save the carrying cost of the extra inventory. At today's interest rates who really cares. Even if you can lower your average inventory by $100K (just over a 1/3 of his claimed inventory value), you save less than $6K/year. Big deal.

Rob is right, need to keep all of the old sins on the previous owner.

Would be fun to look at the financials. YOY sales, owners draw, gross margin, overhead, assets, sales breakdown by catergory, etc... But not that interested.

Fraternizing with the enemy!! Derek should award you with a two day suspension and you should start a new post and write 100 times "I should slap myself for being weak"

To be fair, and I can't believe I am saying this, but I originally was over at J&J Card and Coin getting Magic cards, and figured I'd stop in to see what that shitstain was up to. I had a run in with him in his store ears ago when I first got my LTC, but at the end of it, his bullshit was exposed. Wanted to see if anything changed in the shop....nope, same shit, different year.

What's with all the bad Karma in regards to northeast trading? I've purchased a few firearms over the years and have always had great customer service and felt his prices were competitive. Every time I have entered the shop I was greeted and asked if they could help me. I can't say that about other shops in area.

Jim

No way there's 375000 worth of inventory in that place, even with his $45 a pound powder prices

Translated: If Carl really wanted to open Four Seasons - South Armpit Region Edition - he could have done it a long time ago. [laugh]
LOL!!!!! [laugh]

Re-translation: If Carl wanted to destroy the existing small gun shops in the Armpit Region, he could have already done it.
Bingo. Carl has it made in the shade with one (very overcrowded) shop in one more-or-less semi-accessible location. He sets the market for half the state. I'd love for him to open one or two more locations in strategic spots. But for Carl personally, I don't think it would make any sense at all.

What's with all the bad Karma in regards to northeast trading? I've purchased a few firearms over the years and have always had great customer service and felt his prices were competitive. Every time I have entered the shop I was greeted and asked if they could help me. I can't say that about other shops in area.

Jim

Even a broken clock is right 2 times a day. Never heard any good about him and would never step foot in his shop. Is this a retirement sale or a going out of business sale?

If you are paying $375,000 for inventory there needs to be about $750,000 there or you are not making a profit. It sounds to me like you are going to buy his inventory for resale value. This guy is smoking crack and will end up liquidating his inventory and buying out his lease long before he is going to sell at his price.

Ok, I have no idea whats up with this guy.... anyone share via PM?

he isn't a friend to gun owners. For one, he ratted out Bass Pro when they were selling firearms they shouldn't have been selling. On top of that, he sells items in an industry that he wants to see more regulation in. Eff him and the pigmy goat he rode in on (lets face it, no way he is getting up on a horse LOL)

he isn't a friend to gun owners. For one, he ratted out Bass Pro when they were selling firearms they shouldn't have been selling. On top of that, he sells items in an industry that he wants to see more regulation in. Eff him and the pigmy goat he rode in on (lets face it, no way he is getting up on a horse LOL)

oh, 10-4

No way there's 375000 worth of inventory in that place, even with his $45 a pound powder prices

Hey, those shiners aren't cheap. Especially the big ones. Don't forget the worms and night crawlers.... There is probably a quarter million dollars in bait alone. [laugh]

I see a bigger picture here.

I just lost a local gun store up here in Dracut. (Ron's)
So now this shop (NE Trading) is trying to sell off. Most likely will be going out of business.
Who's next?

Maybe not Carl, but...

This smacks of the AG's stopping the sales of ARs/AKs and the like.
Most of these small shops can't stay in business selling deer rifles, 12 gauge pumps or single-shot .22's.
The big sellers these days are the black rifles and the ammo/accessories for them, and if you don't sell the rifles who's coming in for the go-withs?
And even if you do sell all the accoutrements, the internet beats their price every time.

Maura knew what she was doing.
By bleeding off the bread and butter of the Massachusetts Local Gun Stores and the money it brings in, these small shops are doomed to perish.
Her game plan all along. Choke off the profit, kill the gun business in Massachusetts.

I don't mind seeing a gunstore going out of business because of poor judgement, or poor attitude. But not this way.

I'm pissed

He's been trying to sell for a good year. I used to see his ad on CL. He's old, tired, and looking to cash out. Unless he drops his draws, he won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

I see a bigger picture here.

I just lost a local gun store up here in Dracut. (Ron's)
So now this shop (NE Trading) is trying to sell off. Most likely will be going out of business.
Who's next?

Maybe not Carl, but...

This smacks of the AG's stopping the sales of ARs/AKs and the like.
Most of these small shops can't stay in business selling deer rifles, 12 gauge pumps or single-shot .22's.
The big sellers these days are the black rifles and the ammo/accessories for them, and if you don't sell the rifles who's coming in for the go-withs?
And even if you do sell all the accoutrements, the internet beats their price every time.

Maura knew what she was doing.
By bleeding off the bread and butter of the Massachusetts Local Gun Stores and the money it brings in, these small shops are doomed to perish.
Her game plan all along. Choke off the profit, kill the gun business in Massachusetts.

I don't mind seeing a gunstore going out of business because of poor judgement, or poor attitude. But not this way.

I'm pissed

Not sure if serious, ted has ratted to the AG on more than one occasion. No great loss here, it means more business for other shops that need it.

Not sure if serious, ted has ratted to the AG on more than one occasion. No great loss here, it means more business for other shops that need it.

Very serious, but not about Ted. More about the state of Local Gun Stores in Mass. NE Trading deserves what it is getting. I went off on a tangent with my post...

So what exactly is the $75k getting you? the name and a POS machine? Can't be the building at that price. You get to inherit his badly negotiated lease? In a crap location?

Theoretically for a going concern. But he's actually asking a total of $450K, not $75K. $75K for the business and $375K for the inventory.

With occasional exceptions there are no happy endings for this type of one person business. Basically, you get to sell the inventory at a discount to book value and everything else comes free.

A boss of mine once said "goodwill is the dollar value assigned to the F'ing you willingly took."

You never pay book value for inventory in a purchase. Typically take a discount. Review on hands and write down obsolete or unsalable crap to get to a more reasonable/realistic value.

The problem with most gun shops is there is stuff in the inventory in these places where I wouldn't give them 10 cents for it never mind a discount. Lots of them have junk all over the place.

Unless the location is particularly high profile or theres some enormous reputation attached to the business, it's not even worth buying out a gun shop 99% of the time. The enormous amount of capital you wasted buying the shop out could have been used to buy new inventory, etc- and you can buy stuff that you know will move, not junk from a failing LGS.

The hilarious thing is at one time NET was probably worth something, I remember years ago he used to come in like 3rd place behind FS and Ware for S&W sales volume in MA. Granted it was a distant third but it used to be a prominent shop. Now it's probably somewhere in the shitter because Gartman and a bunch of others have slowly taken all his business away.

-Mike

Last edited:
Very serious, but not about Ted. More about the state of Local Gun Stores in Mass. NE Trading deserves what it is getting. I went off on a tangent with my post...

The AG bullshit is troubling (and certainly has hurt dealers immensely) but frankly in a lot of cases a lot of these shops are their own worst enemies. A lot of them have not adapted to deal with the new markets that have emerged. Even Rons- outside of the transfers, that shop had nothing that was going to keep people going back to it. I remember I bought a box of 9mm steel cased ammo there in a pinch, the price was pretty retarded, to the point where all I could do is laugh when I left. That's what we call "a sign". A lot of shops have "tells" like that when you go in them.

It also doesn't help that this is an exceptionally tough business to be in. I wouldn't even bother trying it unless it had a focus on gunsmith services and other value adds; things that are in demand and can't get easily commoditized on the internet.

That's about the only way you can make real money in a smaller shop setup, because the distributors sure as hell aren't going to cut you a break and neither will the consumers, because basically anyone under 70 these days has a handheld price rape detector that delivers an answer in about 30 seconds.

-Mike

I live in Tewksbury. I believe Carl helped, advised, Shooters Warehouse in Tewksbury when they were starting up, that's what the word was I believe.

Shooters Warehouse had a short life span and I hoped at the time 4-Seasons would take it over (short walk from my home!)

Wasn't meant to be of course and now the building is Heritage Plumbing and I'm still driving to Woburn...

this is a great opportunity for a 4 seasons south...

The problem with most gun shops is there is stuff in the inventory in these places where I wouldn't give them 10 cents for it never mind a discount. Lots of them have junk all over the place.

Unless the location is particularly high profile or theres some enormous reputation attached to the business, it's not even worth buying out a gun shop 99% of the time. The enormous amount of capital you wasted buying the shop out could have been used to buy new inventory, etc- and you can buy stuff that you know will move, not junk from a failing LGS.

The hilarious thing is at one time NET was probably worth something, I remember years ago he used to come in like 3rd place behind FS and Ware for S&W sales volume in MA. Granted it was a distant third but it used to be a prominent shop. Now it's probably somewhere in the shitter because Gartman and a bunch of others have slowly taken all his business away.

-Mike

I hadn't been in there in years but found myself down the street from him a few weeks ago so I went in. The Rat wasn't there. I looked around a bit. Very few used guns. A few rifles I know have been sitting there for years. New rifles were 10/22's and a couple nondescript shotguns. Handguns not much better.

What's with the hate bought my first ar and 1911 there. The shop wasn't that bad only reason I stopped going was I stopped going to

I'll bet he's got a long-term lease with a high early termination fee. Why else would he try to sell the ongoing business? Otherwise just liquidate the assets and close. With the lease he may need to declare bankruptcy if he doesn't find a buyer. What a buyer would get is his location, fixtures, customer list, technology and potentially his employees. Maybe that's worth $75k, maybe not. The "inventory" is another matter. A liquidating retailer may be happy to recover 50% of their inventory's COST.

The hilarious thing is at one time NET was probably worth something, I remember years ago he used to come in like 3rd place behind FS and Ware for S&W sales volume in MA.

-Mike

Remember that Ware closed over the same getting in bed with antis shit, being a deadbeat defaulting on ad buys to publications, and sloppily record repeatedly pissing off the ATF auditors.

Back
Top Bottom