Northeast Shooters - are you?

IPSC, IDPA, 22 gallery, Centerfire gallery, Steel, and three gun when I can.

Tried Trap but they laughed at the pistol grip on my shotgun and the extended tube [grin]

I am not competitive, but I try.

regards,

I started plinking again about 4 years ago after a 15 year hiatus, started shooting F-class last year, then I borrowed a Service Rifle and shot in a couple of matches. This year officially kicks off my HP-SR journey, it ain't cheap, but it is a HOOT.

DD

Since shotgun sports have hardly been mentioned I'll speak up. I used to be a fanatical sporting clays shooter. Shooting 2 or 3 competitions a month through spring, summer and fall. I used to shoot around 15 to 20 thousand rounds a year but waning interest and the need to try IDPA, my clays competing is going to be seriuosly cut back. Maybe only 3 or 4 tournaments this summer.

My financial situation pretty much kept me working one or another part time jobs on weekends, which precluded any competition.

Plus, several of the people I trained under were dead set against "games", swearing that it would lead to bad habbits, if not outright shiftlessness, blindness, and testicurlar cancer!

That said, now that I've finally switched over to these new-fangled flat guns for serious social purposes, I'm thinking I might like to try a little ICORE shooting just for fun, and to have a reason to keep shooting my wheelgun.

Regards
John

Nickle said:
Jaxon, I wouldn't do that yet. I have a source for Remanufactured 45 Colt ammo. Prices might be reasonable.

Yea, don't do that yet...

And, if you need to, Ted over at Northeast Trading reloads .45LC cowboy loads. And they are pretty inexpensive. I think like 9 bucks for 50... I might be off, maybe like 11, hell I don't know. Type0 might speak up on this.

But if you do have to sell everything....then let me know first. I would rather keep all your gear in the Cowboy circle...

But I would like to see you shoot some matches instead of getting rid of your stuff.

Hell, I might even load for you if you get enough brass saved up. Just to keep you shooting. Sprit of the Game....

Nickle said:
I'll hold you to that. Got a MILSurp rifle, especially a semi-auto? Bring it. If you don't have one, we might be able to provide something to use, even if it's a bolt-gun.

I've got an AR-15...but I really don't know that much about them.

No other Milsurps. But I really want that new CZ Ultimate Hunters Rifle. But I can't find anyone with a price for the thing.

But they guarantee that it will hold under one or one half MOA at 1000 yards. I'd have to find the details again. I think that it was a half. What's that, 4-6 inch group? I'm guessing that it's going to be in the 2000 dollar range. But I would still like to see...

C-Pher, I've got 34 years experience with AR's. You bring it whenever we get together, and Derek, Brent or I can teach everything you'll need to know about it.

1/2 MOA at 1000 yards is a 5" group. The world record for a Bench Gun isn't a whole lot smaller than that, last I knew. So, I'm leery of their claim, since most folks have a hard time getting anywhere near 1 MOA at 1000 yards, due to wind and mirage.

Nickle said:
C-Pher, I've got 34 years experience with AR's. You bring it whenever we get together, and Derek, Brent or I can teach everything you'll need to know about it.

1/2 MOA at 1000 yards is a 5" group. The world record for a Bench Gun isn't a whole lot smaller than that, last I knew. So, I'm leery of their claim, since most folks have a hard time getting anywhere near 1 MOA at 1000 yards, due to wind and mirage.

+1 If you're going to Vermont I can go over some stuff.

And I agree with Nickle about the 1/2 MOA @ 1000 sounds like BS to me.

Derek, I know I couldn't do it, and I've shot groups that are sub 1/4 MOA, from 100 yards out to 300 yards. Best I've ever shot is about 1/8 MOA. You need a really good gun and luck as well to pull that off.

From http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=76

The CZ Ultimate Hunting Rifle (UHR) is a new CZ 550 based rifle in .300 Winchester Magnum that comes in at 8 lbs, and includes a minute of angle accuracy guarantee to 1000 yards (when purchased as a package with Nightforce 5.5-22 scope & CZ one piece rings) . By maintaining quality control standards unheard of in the industry, the Ultimate Hunting Rifle delivers a level of accuracy formerly only available from high-end custom rifle smiths. We recommend usage of Premium or Match Grade ammunition.

And they finally got a price up on the web page...
Price (MSRP) US$ 3450.00

[shocked]

I still might save up and buy one if I get into long range shooting. They showed this at the end of last year on Sighting IN...and they were shooting small groups at 600 yards.

http://www.shootingusa.com/SIGHTING_IN_SHOWS/25-07_MOA/25-07_moa.html

C-Pher, if you really want to get into long range stuff, I've got sources for you. For $3450, I can find you a custom gun that is as good or better. For serious 1000 yard Magnum rifle, the 300 Win Mag is a wimpy round.

The 1000 yard BR guys are using 300 Weatherby's (still wimpy) and 30-378 Weatherby's. I've got some old friends from the past in PA, where they do shoot this stuff.

I've been shooting Civil war stuff in competition for 15 years. I'm about 5 years into shooting the 200 yd offhand matches at Old Colony; both Winter and Summer.
Just started doing Service rifle and Match rifle at the end of last season. If all goes well, some of you should be seeing me more often at Reading and MRA.
I'll be shooting the Eastern Mass League in Woburn in a few weeks.

C-pher, unless you are independently wealthy I'd suggest saving your money. First off, what type long-range shooting are you looking at, bench rest, Palma, F-class, etc? They all use a different type rifle shooting completely different positions and rules.

Getting less than 1 MOA at a 1,000 yards requires a lot more than just a squared away rifle. It requires some seriously precision hand loads, premium sights (metalic / glass - depending on the discipline) misc. other equipment and ton of practice and experience.

If you're just looking to have a very accurate rifle out of the box that you might get a chance to shoot at a thousand every now and then, I'd suggest the Rem. 700 PSS in .308. Very vesatile and though the .308 is not the best it is certainly able to hold 1 MOA out to 1,000.

Last edited:
TonyD said:

If you're just looking to have a very accurate rifle out of the box that you might get a chance to shoot at a thousand every now and then, I'd suggest the Rem. 700 PSS in .308. Very vesatile and though the .308 is not the best it is certainly able to hold 1 MOA out to 1,000.

+1 I would go with a tricked out Model 700 in .308 before I purchased anything else. Like the Sako I will have before I die. [smile]

Eastern Mass. Rifle League; now that brings back fond memories. I use to love shooting in that match. How cool is a 6 shooter; 20 shot offhand team match!

Is Jon Moore still running things? Enjoy the match! I wish I was shooting it.

Very jealous

Brian

Back
Top Bottom