• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Northeast Shooters - are you?

Pilgrim

NES Member
RETIRED, at home or wherever I want to be
I"ve been hanging out here for a while now and was wondering how any of you shoot competetively?

I found this place quite a while ago but thought, by the name, that it was devoted to 'real' shooters, not just a casual plinker/collector like me. I like to shoot, do it all I can but don't take myself too seriously. I know that I probably won't ever shoot competetively, even though I did shoot 'expert' rifle in the Army...that was a long time ago...when I had a lot better eyes.

So, are you a 'shooter' or a 'plinker' ?

BTW, there is a NESHOOTERS.com website, too.

Yea, NESHOOTERS.com is also a member here. He's Jim, one of the trainers. You can find him on the Training forum.

I shoot competetively, if you call it that. It's Cowboy Action Shooting, but it's still done for bragging rights. No real prizes as I only really shoot at the club level. But it's fun.

But I also plink. So I guess that I'm a little of both.

Pilgrim,

The last time I shot competitively was ~1978 when I shot with the Sharon F&G pistol team. I did it for one season and for numerous reasons, I dropped it. I've never had the desire to shoot in competitions since then.

When I became a Constable and realizing that "I'm on my own" (the PD neither knows where I am unless I am making arrest and they don't care), and my survival depends SOLELY on my abilities and my wits, I became interested almost exclusively in defensive handgun.

Somehow I hooked up with Jim Conway (www.neshooters.com) and took my first defensive handgun course. It was a shocking eye-opener (for anyone carrying a gun)! Since then I took 3 more defensive handgun courses and hope to take one or two this Summer as well.

This weekend was the first time I shot my CAR-15 in probably close to 1 year!

So, I'm a shooter/plinker but not a competitive shooter.

Note: Jim Conway's schedule of classes in the NH/MA area are posted on his website www.neshooters.com Highly recommended for anyone who wants to carry a gun!

A bit of both.

Used to only plink for years, then all the guns went into storage for about 10 years. Got back into it about 3 or 4 years ago, started shooting Service Rifle matches 2 years ago and IDPA last year.

CD

I used to do both. These days, I'm not into Competition Shooting any more.

Used to shoot Bench Rest. Heavy Varmint, Light Varmint and Hunter classes.

I used a couple of .219 Donaldson Wasp's for the Varmint classes, and a .30 IHMSA for Hunter class. Still have the Hunter class gun, rechambered it to .308.

Last edited:
many years ago I was a pretty serious High Power Rifle shooter and did a fair amount of smalbore shooting as cross training.

I also shot pistol and combat rifle in the military. I was pretty good at combat rifle but I only made the pistol go bang. :)

Brian

I don't do that much competition anymore. Too damn busy scheduling matches, classes, and other gun stuff. And if I'm not scheduling it, I'm running it, or running away from it for my own sanity.

And then.....

When it's quiet....

And all the good kids are taking their naps....

I load up my .500 Magnum and watch ammo costs roll faster than a gasoline pump. (^_^)

I want to lean long distance shooting. 600-1000 yards. That just looks like it's so much fun. Lots of stamina and concentration...and hard as hell. I think that I would love to learn about that... Just no where to do that around here. And, I would need a teacher...I've tried shooting styles and things with books. I just can't learn that way. I need to be able to ask questions and have someone show me.

Like C-Pher, I strapped on the leather and sixguns and moseyed amongst the other western types. :) But, it started to get expensive and I've retired some from it.

RJ

Jaxon said:
Like C-Pher, I strapped on the leather and sixguns and moseyed amongst the other western types. :) But, it started to get expensive and I've retired some from it.

RJ

WHAT!! No way. You so have to come out again for a shoot sometime.

And once you have your gear, how's it expensive? Well, other than you just keep buying hardware... [smile]

But really, once you have all the gear, it's just the cost of reloading.

I shoot IDPA at Riverside, the club where Chris used to shoot before he got to busy to hang out with USMA-83,Dwarven1, DR, and me.

On the more recent scene, I am new to the USPSA game (IPSC), but I'm learning fast.

Last edited:
C-pher said:
WHAT!! No way. You so have to come out again for a shoot sometime.

And once you have your gear, how's it expensive? Well, other than you just keep buying hardware... [smile]

But really, once you have all the gear, it's just the cost of reloading.

Ahh.. reloading. That's the rub. And 45LC is expensive. [sad] I'll probably sell off some of my hardware for something more modern.

RJ

As for me,

Pilgrim said:
So, are you a 'shooter' or a 'plinker' ?

Can't help but admit I'm a plinker. What can I say ? Guess I'm just a kid at heart. I love to just sit with a .22 and knock down wood blocks or chase cans across the sandpit/range where I shoot.

I've been getting back into shooting & hunting (Six days 'till Turkey season !) after a long break. Now I've been bit by the milsurp bug and recently sent for my C&R application. I'm holding off on buying any milsurps untill the C&R comes thru, then I suspect I'll get one or two (At least !) [smile]

Hey Nickle, where in Vermont is EAFR and what's it stand for ? I'm interested too. I used to be pretty good at 200 yards anyway, but that was 28 years ago.

EAFR - Ethan Allen Firing Range, located in Jericho Vermont.

It's our local Army Guard range facility, also used by General Dynamics to test the Vulcan type systems.

I shoot competitely. I started shooting steel and bowling pins. I no longer shoot bowling pins but still shoot steel. My favorite hands down is shooting IPSC. Where else can you run around shooting things and not go to jail? I think the IPSC shooting is prob. one of the most challenging shooting sports. (along with IDPA-but I've never shot IDPA) You never know what you're going to be shooting or how you need to be shooting.

Pete

C-pher said:
I want to lean long distance shooting. 600-1000 yards. That just looks like it's so much fun. Lots of stamina and concentration...and hard as hell.

C-pher,

I don't think it is as hard as you may imagine.

Brian

C-pher said:
I want to lean long distance shooting. 600-1000 yards. That just looks like it's so much fun. Lots of stamina and concentration...and hard as hell. I think that I would love to learn about that... Just no where to do that around here. And, I would need a teacher...I've tried shooting styles and things with books. I just can't learn that way. I need to be able to ask questions and have someone show me.
+1
I was so bummed when the HP clinic sponsored by Tony and Derek was rained out last spring.

I shoot Highpower in the Summer and I shoot in an indoor Smallbore league once a week in the Winter.

Back
Top Bottom